A vague hypothesis about Obama's rhetoric

SW85

It's been noted recently that whenever Obama denounces one of the ghoulish reptiles with whom he's been perfectly comfortable in the past keeping company -- Wright, Ayers, Rezko, et al. -- he always does so in intensely personal rhetoric. These people "disappoint" him. They aren't the "people I used to know." They've let him down. Etc. He can never simply say, "This person has done wrong" or "This person is objectively offensive."

I suspect what's going on here is that he's employing a kind of Straussian device -- a rhetorical technique in which one says something that is interpreted one way by the uninformed and quite another way by a special audience of people who are uniquely suited to understand its meaning. (Think of it this way: I am delivering a message to a spy to let him know that a planned operation has been called off. I pass by him on the street, nod, and say, "Looks like rain." The ignorant hear the exoteric meaning -- a casual chat between acquaintances. The spy hears the real message.)

What I propose is that Obama speaks this way to subtly advertise the fact that he is a relativist -- or at least to appeal to relativists. He cannot of course openly come out and say that he doesn't believe in objective truths because the majority of people would be disgusted by that. So instead he speaks in personal terms because, hey, if truth is subjective, then only an individual's perception is what matters -- in this case his own perception. So it's not that Rezko is an unethical slimeball; it's that he doesn't conform to Obama's notions of rhetoric, and Obama disapproves of that on the basis of a subjective value judgment.

I suspect the message gets through, which is why all the people who pointedly defended Wright are now pointedly defending Obama's trashing of him. They grasp the relativism there. He's speaking their language and they like it. The ignorant hear "This guy is OFFENSIVE to me" and applaud. The enlightened hear "This guy is offensive TO ME" and applaud.

This of course conforms perfectly to his background as a college radical and his Third World upbringing by radical Marxist atheists, since relativism is almost universally a phenomenon of the far left.

Werbung:
It's been noted recently that whenever Obama denounces one of the ghoulish reptiles with whom he's been perfectly comfortable in the past keeping company -- Wright, Ayers, Rezko, et al. -- he always does so in intensely personal rhetoric. These people "disappoint" him. They aren't the "people I used to know." They've let him down. Etc. He can never simply say, "This person has done wrong" or "This person is objectively offensive."

Exactly, and notice by not saying "what they do/did is wrong", he let's himself off the hook for ever associating with them.

I suspect what's going on here is that he's employing a kind of Straussian device -- a rhetorical technique in which one says something that is interpreted one way by the uninformed and quite another way by a special audience of people who are uniquely suited to understand its meaning. (Think of it this way: I am delivering a message to a spy to let him know that a planned operation has been called off. I pass by him on the street, nod, and say, "Looks like rain." The ignorant hear the exoteric meaning -- a casual chat between acquaintances. The spy hears the real message.)

Interesting idea.

What I propose is that Obama speaks this way to subtly advertise the fact that he is a relativist -- or at least to appeal to relativists. He cannot of course openly come out and say that he doesn't believe in objective truths because the majority of people would be disgusted by that. So instead he speaks in personal terms because, hey, if truth is subjective, then only an individual's perception is what matters -- in this case his own perception. So it's not that Rezko is an unethical slimeball; it's that he doesn't conform to Obama's notions of rhetoric, and Obama disapproves of that on the basis of a subjective value judgment.

Good insight. Notice how liberals don't say "that's wrong", as in morally wrong, anymore? They only see what is politically correct, because the only thing that exists for them is politics. Ever hear this word "uncomfortable"? It drives me up the wall.

Eg: "Those who are uncomfortable with this may wish to not participate."

instead of "Those who think this is wrong ....

Or:

"The teacher used language to the students that made them uncomfortable..."

instead of

"The teacher was wrong to do what he did."

With liberals, the only judgements that can be made are violations of Pee See.

That was very interesting, I had not thought of it that way, but I bet it is true.

If these people are not the people he thought they were, doesn’t that say something about his judgment, and isn’t it his judgment to lead that he is running on.

I swear I wonder about the mental state of his followers, if they can not figure this out.

I hope there is a TV ad of him saying “I have the judgment to lead!” then another clip of him saying that Rev. Wright was not the man he thought he was. Then again another speech at another event of him saying “I have the judgment to lead!” then the speech where he said that the priest was not the man he thought he was then again the “I have the judgment to lead!” Then another saying Rezko was not the man he thought he was.
And also getting in the clip he knew 2 of them for over 20 years and Rezko for at least 15 but still couldn’t figure them out… but he has the judgment to lead...

The Ad’s are going to be so fabulous this year

Iran is not a threat, two days later Iran is a grave threat, and I have always said that.

Oh I can’t wait

McCain's people have GREAT video clips to hang Obama with his own words, and they sure as hell better use it.

Werbung:
Back