Abdul Qadeer Khan freed.

PLC1

Staff member
Pakistan Frees Nuclear Dealer in Snub to U.S.

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan — A Pakistani court freed one of the most successful nuclear proliferators in history, Abdul Qadeer Khan, from house arrest on Friday, lifting the restrictions imposed on him since 2004 when he publicly confessed to running an illicit nuclear network.

The ruling to set him free seemed as much a political decision as a legal one, intended to shore up support for the government of President Asif Ali Zardari, which has been derided in the Pakistani press as being too close to the United States.

President Obama’s spokesman, Robert Gibbs, said the United States wanted assurances from Pakistan that the onetime metallurgist would never be able to sell nuclear expertise or equipment again.

But neither the State Department nor the White House would say whether Mr. Obama was prepared to reverse the Bush administration’s position and demand that Pakistan allow international nuclear inspectors and the Central Intelligence Agency to interview Mr. Khan about his activities over the past 20 years.

I wonder where he will go next? Iran, perhaps? Syria? There must be many nations willing to pay for his expertise.

Obama needs to reverse at least one more Bush Administration position.

Werbung:
HUH?

I thought if we elected Obama the world would love and respect us again

how come we have gotten more poor treatment from everyone since egg head took over when he promised the world will like us again :(

HUH?

I thought if we elected Obama the world would love and respect us again

how come we have gotten more poor treatment from everyone since egg head took over when he promised the world will like us again :(

I don't know. Maybe he will reverse his predecessor's policy on the issue. I hope he does.

Werbung:
At the moment France and Britain are demanding Pakistan give the IAEA access to AQK in the hope of ........well......achieving what

I find it interesting that in Pakistan he's almost revered as a national hero but in all honesty his contributions to Pakistans nuclear programme was not that great and lets face it he was part of a huge.

IMHO I think he may be old news....

Back