Being banned

Yes, that's one reason we can't get too specific. We already get the "so and so did it too, so you're just picking on me" sorts of responses.

Still, it should be common sense that if one member starts to get personal and call names, that is just not acceptable on this board. I've seen some boards where it is common practice, which is why I avoid those boards. We don't want this one to become the forum that people who want to have a serious discussion avoid.

Do we?

No we don't want things to degenerate into merely insults. I was just speaking on the public aspect of being banned.

I think the process works... warning, short ban, longer ban etc.

You spoke of some really loose boards. I've also been on boards the other way. So strict that after about 20 post by the same guy reciting all the reasons why we shouldn't bomb terrorists I finally said... Why are you always carrying water for the Taliban. Got an insult warning for that.:)

You guys have a balancing act. This board has always found a good balance. Appreciate your efforts.

Werbung:
ah ok

I remember reading a while back that there were complaints about how many threads always had made and assumed that must be part of it.

There was something said about that, but nothing came of it. If someone makes a lot of threads, it shouldn't matter. If the thread is about something no one wants to discuss, it will go away pretty quickly. If it is something we do want to discuss, then it is a good thread.

Ill chime in with a few thoughts here.

As was mentioned before the moderators do maintain an internal thread on banned users. I think a few important things to note about that thread is that we mention the user names of the banned person, and the reason why and for how long...among other things. More importantly though is that so far (nor do I anticipate any) there have been no disagreements on someone being banned and why. So the mods here do have a unified voice and a similar vision on what we want the board to be.

With the exception of spammers who show up and make sociliting posts nobody has been banned for a single infraction, generally it takes multiples. I was the one who banned groupthink because he had three infractions in 1 night! The same with Always.
This generally has to do with repeated warnings about the creation of threads, but then throw in a personal insult or two and they need to take a break.

We dont exactly have a set in stone policy on how long bans are, there was a time before I was a moderator that there was no such thing as a temp ban. They were all permanent. Which raised issues of previously banned users popping up with different names. Currently the practice has been to issue a number of infractions, then a week long ban, and the next ban after the week long one will be permanent.

As for a public thread discussing banned users. I would like users aware of the things that will cause infractions and bans so they can avoid a similar situation. That being said, it raises all sorts of opportunity to have a user claimed they were being picked on for reasons XYZ. Which is nothing but a red herring argument. But I know speaking for myself I have taken more heat than all the other mods combined about being somehow biased. It is worthy to keep in mind that any bias I have is not based on policitical ideology it is based on the quality of posts and respect for the rules. So I would simply rather avoid that sort of a situation.

To avoid trouble here, there are a few very simple steps to follow.

1. Dont call others names. This would include such gems like idiot, moron, and all the ones most would consider worse.

2. avoid using profanity, especially directed at other users or public figures. We generally dont have a problem with someone calling the President a moron, idiot or jerk. Calling them a dumba$$, F-cking moron or a$$hole will get you in hot water.

3. Start meaningful threads with evidence to back up any claims.
For instance, the following thread starter from a deleted thread is unacceptable.

i have this crazy theory that the jews are listening to all my phone calls...and maybe yours...

this is one of my many conspiracy theories.
Yes this is a real deleted thread starter.

Some of the forums have written rules against bypassing the curse filter by using $ instead of S, etc. Maybe we should too.

Some of the forums have written rules against bypassing the curse filter by using $ instead of S, etc. Maybe we should too.

I have given infractions for this. Generally it was more to do with who it was directed at than bypassing the filter.
I see a difference in typing I dont give a sh!t and then typing PLC1 you are a sh!tbag.

I have given infractions for this. Generally it was more to do with who it was directed at than bypassing the filter.
I see a difference in typing I dont give a sh!t and then typing PLC1 you are a sh!tbag.

OK, that is a big difference.

Still, what's the curse filter for?

OK, that is a big difference.

Still, what's the curse filter for?
Not sure, Youd have to ask Walter. It has been turned on as long as I have been here. You joined before me, and we were both here before Walter.

I dont think it hurts anything. Except sometimes I have to try to decipher which 4 letter word is shown as asterisks.

Ill chime in with a few thoughts here.

As was mentioned before the moderators do maintain an internal thread on banned users. I think a few important things to note about that thread is that we mention the user names of the banned person, and the reason why and for how long...among other things. More importantly though is that so far (nor do I anticipate any) there have been no disagreements on someone being banned and why. So the mods here do have a unified voice and a similar vision on what we want the board to be.

With the exception of spammers who show up and make sociliting posts nobody has been banned for a single infraction, generally it takes multiples. I was the one who banned groupthink because he had three infractions in 1 night! The same with Always.
This generally has to do with repeated warnings about the creation of threads, but then throw in a personal insult or two and they need to take a break.

We dont exactly have a set in stone policy on how long bans are, there was a time before I was a moderator that there was no such thing as a temp ban. They were all permanent. Which raised issues of previously banned users popping up with different names. Currently the practice has been to issue a number of infractions, then a week long ban, and the next ban after the week long one will be permanent.

As for a public thread discussing banned users. I would like users aware of the things that will cause infractions and bans so they can avoid a similar situation. That being said, it raises all sorts of opportunity to have a user claimed they were being picked on for reasons XYZ. Which is nothing but a red herring argument. But I know speaking for myself I have taken more heat than all the other mods combined about being somehow biased. It is worthy to keep in mind that any bias I have is not based on policitical ideology it is based on the quality of posts and respect for the rules. So I would simply rather avoid that sort of a situation.

This post was really helpful. Thank you bunz.

I am not interested in talking about banned people behind their backs and I dont want to gossip about them.

I dont even think an information thread about bans that members can post on is a good idea

I was just wanting like a thread that we can see that only mods post on
with the most basic of info.

Pandora was banned for one week for personal attacks to another member.

something like that. We all already know who is banned because it says below their name, but we dont all know if they are perma banned or will be back soon Your explination on what to NOT do so you dont get banned was helpful also.

Your explination about the getting 3 infractions then the week ban was really helpful because I wasnt sure what warrented a week ban. I now understand. Getting 3 infractions does it. and you explained how you now do week bans instead of perma bans first. That was helpful too.

Thank you :)

either way if nothing changes thats ok, I just thought it would be helpful but I am ok if nothing changes.

I like the week bans by the way, I think everything has gotten better since you started them. People are treating eachother better for the most part.

This post was really helpful. Thank you bunz.
I am happy to help.
I am not interested in talking about banned people behind their backs and I dont want to gossip about them.
I dont think anyone is, but in my experience here, I think it is often best to remove things as quickly and thoroughly as possible when time allows. Meaning if someone quotes a post that was removed, it becomes necessary to remove it from other posts where it was quoted. Sometimes it isnt necessary, and others I have left up on purpose. It really depends on what was said and the context. Which is oftentime difficult because it is hard to judge tone and pitch through text and not audio.
I dont even think an information thread about bans that members can post on is a good idea

I was just wanting like a thread that we can see that only mods post on
with the most basic of info.

Pandora was banned for one week for personal attacks to another member.

something like that. We all already know who is banned because it says below their name, but we dont all know if they are perma banned or will be back soon Your explination on what to NOT do so you dont get banned was helpful also.
Yes it is no secret to tell someone is banned because it is noted next to all of thier previous posts and on thier profile. I think if it is a ban you have a question about...maybe send a PM to a moderator for clarification.
Your explination about the getting 3 infractions then the week ban was really helpful because I wasnt sure what warrented a week ban. I now understand. Getting 3 infractions does it. and you explained how you now do week bans instead of perma bans first. That was helpful too.
Well, let me clarify, in that getting three infractions will get someone banned for a week. Because it depends on the severity of the infraction, and the length of time between the infractions. Calling someone a moron once a year probably isnt going to do it. Calling someone a dirty rotten stupid MF just one time will probably result in a ban.
Pandora, the issue with being a mod is that there is no cut and dry solution to everything. It is all shades of gray.
Thank you :)
Your welcome. I know we generally disagree politically and you have questions my actions as a moderator, but I would encourage you to try the shoes on first if you know what Im saying. Either way, I appreciate your level of participation here, you are by far our number one poster.
either way if nothing changes thats ok, I just thought it would be helpful but I am ok if nothing changes.

I like the week bans by the way, I think everything has gotten better since you started them. People are treating eachother better for the most part.
I am happy to see positive changes on the board.

I am happy to help.

I dont think anyone is, but in my experience here, I think it is often best to remove things as quickly and thoroughly as possible when time allows. Meaning if someone quotes a post that was removed, it becomes necessary to remove it from other posts where it was quoted. Sometimes it isnt necessary, and others I have left up on purpose. It really depends on what was said and the context. Which is oftentime difficult because it is hard to judge tone and pitch through text and not audio.

Yes it is no secret to tell someone is banned because it is noted next to all of thier previous posts and on thier profile. I think if it is a ban you have a question about...maybe send a PM to a moderator for clarification.

Well, let me clarify, in that getting three infractions will get someone banned for a week. Because it depends on the severity of the infraction, and the length of time between the infractions. Calling someone a moron once a year probably isnt going to do it. Calling someone a dirty rotten stupid MF just one time will probably result in a ban.
Pandora, the issue with being a mod is that there is no cut and dry solution to everything. It is all shades of gray.

Your welcome. I know we generally disagree politically and you have questions my actions as a moderator, but I would encourage you to try the shoes on first if you know what Im saying. Either way, I appreciate your level of participation here, you are by far our number one poster.

I am happy to see positive changes on the board.

I would not like to be in your shoes. I just like reading and posting :)

ok, well if anyone I like gets banned and I am worried it will be for more than a week Ill pm you and ask.

Werbung:
Back