Constitutional authority to enforce UN mandate?

Dr.Who

The President has said that he is involved in Libya for humanitarian reasons and also to enforce the UN mandate. Does anyone know where the US Constitution gives the president the authority to use our military to enforce UN mandates? If there is such authority then perhaps there is also the authority to enforce the laws of other legislative bodies, like maybe the British parliament?

Werbung:
The President has said that he is involved in Libya for humanitarian reasons and also to enforce the UN mandate. Does anyone know where the US Constitution gives the president the authority to use our military to enforce UN mandates? If there is such authority then perhaps there is also the authority to enforce the laws of other legislative bodies, like maybe the British parliament?
It is the same part of the US Constitution that gave former president Reagan the authority to use our military to invade Grenada.

It is the same part of the US Constitution that gave former president Reagan the authority to use our military to invade Grenada.

Nowhere....you seem to advocate that disregarding how it should be once means we no longer have to consider what is supposed to govern the use of our military force.

The Grenada mission was necessary to rescue American college students who were trapped in Grenada due to the civil war in that country.

Once again, I refer all of you to the War Powers Act of 1973.

I will also remind all of you that G.W. Bush's reason for liberating Iraq was to enforce the 17 U.N. resolutions that Hussein (Saddam, not Barack) had continually violated since the 1991 Gulf War cease fire agreement.

I have no problem with Obama doing what he is doing, but it's pretty obvious that he has no clue how to be a true "commander-in-chief". He's a friggin' Chicago machine politician, not a warrior, not a military strategist, and certainly not a leader. He is a follower and a delegator.

The best Presidents are the ones that outline a military objective, then allow the military to do their jobs, without micro-managing every move the military wants to make.

Obama should stick with working on his jumpshot, and let the military do their jobs.

So when does the impeachment come ?

The aforementioned War Powers Act is the precedent that will prevent anybody from initiating impeachment proceedings against Obama.

So all of the Democrats and Republicans who are crying for Obama's impeachment are either complete ignorant idiots, or are just blowing smoke up the keesters of those who don't know about the War Powers Act.

Does anyone know where the US Constitution gives the president the authority to use our military to enforce UN mandates?

Section 8

10: To define and punish Piracies and Felonies committed on the high Seas, and Offences against the Law of Nations;

11: To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;

Both the US and Libya are members of the UN which is the Law of Nations.

Comrade Stalin

The Grenada mission was necessary to rescue American college students who were trapped in Grenada due to the civil war in that country.

Once again, I refer all of you to the War Powers Act of 1973.

I will also remind all of you that G.W. Bush's reason for liberating Iraq was to enforce the 17 U.N. resolutions that Hussein (Saddam, not Barack) had continually violated since the 1991 Gulf War cease fire agreement.

I have no problem with Obama doing what he is doing, but it's pretty obvious that he has no clue how to be a true "commander-in-chief". He's a friggin' Chicago machine politician, not a warrior, not a military strategist, and certainly not a leader. He is a follower and a delegator.

The best Presidents are the ones that outline a military objective, then allow the military to do their jobs, without micro-managing every move the military wants to make.

Obama should stick with working on his jumpshot, and let the military do their jobs.

The 91 Gulf war was never over. The continuation of war as a result of breaking UN resolutions is not the same as initiating a war based on violating resolutions. I would also add that Bush waited until US planes were shot at. Now I may be missing somethin and Bush may very well have not had the authority. I don't care to defend him blindly but it appears to me that he did have constitutional justification. Further more if I remember correctly congress did indeed declare a war.

Section 8

10: To define and punish Piracies and Felonies committed on the high Seas, and Offences against the Law of Nations;

11: To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;

Comrade Stalin

You have done your homework better than all who posted nothing. An excellent attempt worthy of praise. The quote from the Constitution even appears to justify the war.

The law of nations was actually a much broader phrase and would not even be limited to those laws which come from the UN. Do all UN resolutions qualify as the law of nations? No. The law of nations is defined by a number of court cases and precedent.

However the constitutional clause in question only refers to piracy which mush occur on sea. Pirates are allowed to be captured on land though their crime must have occurred on sea.

http://press-pubs.uchicago.edu/founders/documents/a1_8_10s9.html

Werbung:
Section 8

Comrade Stalin

I think you will find that viewpoint outside the norm unless you are talking to someone who works at the UN.

Back