Costliest War

What was America's most costly war? No, not WWII.

Of course, it is the War on Poverty. I wonder why libs/progressives never complain about this war since they complain about every other American war.

The truth can set you free unless you want to be a slave (aka liberalism).

Really? No seriously? You're rooting for poverty too!:eek:

No wonder you guys keep losing elections. You guys have become a comedy skit of yourselves.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Werbung:
I suppose if you count SS and Medicare as "welfare" and add it in to the cost of the war on poverty, that would be the most costly war. I submit that neither SS nor Medicare are welfare, as the recipients paid for it out of their checks for years before getting any benefit.

No, I believe that the war on poverty is only the second most expensive war. While I agree that welfare, meaning doling out money to people who haven't earned it without expecting anything in return, is a bad idea, the war on poverty is cheap compared to the war on drugs.

On the other hand, if you count farm subsidies and other forms of corporate welfare as a part of the war on poverty, you could be right. It could be more costly in the whole than the war on drugs, but not by much.

I suppose if you count SS and Medicare as "welfare" and add it in to the cost of the war on poverty, that would be the most costly war. I submit that neither SS nor Medicare are welfare, as the recipients paid for it out of their checks for years before getting any benefit.

No, I believe that the war on poverty is only the second most expensive war. While I agree that welfare, meaning doling out money to people who haven't earned it without expecting anything in return, is a bad idea, the war on poverty is cheap compared to the war on drugs.

On the other hand, if you count farm subsidies and other forms of corporate welfare as a part of the war on poverty, you could be right. It could be more costly in the whole than the war on drugs, but not by much.

You need to review the costs of welfare. As stated in the initial post, welfare costs far exceed the costs of ALL of America's wars.

* And speaking of war, the federal and state governments spent $15.92 trillion (adjusted 2008 dollars) on welfare from 1965 to 2008. By comparison, the cost of all American wars since the Revolution is $6.39 trillion (adjusted 2008 dollars).

You need to review the costs of welfare. As stated in the initial post, welfare costs far exceed the costs of ALL of America's wars.

* And speaking of war, the federal and state governments spent $15.92 trillion (adjusted 2008 dollars) on welfare from 1965 to 2008. By comparison, the cost of all American wars since the Revolution is $6.39 trillion (adjusted 2008 dollars).

1. Medicare and Social Security aren't welfare.
2. yes, we have spent a lot of money on welfare, way too much.
3. I'm not sure just where you're getting your figures, as you didn't provide a link.
4. If you add up the cost of enforcement, the cost of jail time, and the cost of the forgotten war in Colombia, it would be quite a sum.

I can't say for sure that the war on drugs is more costly, but I'm willing to bet it is, if you add up all of the hidden costs, then only count as welfare what is actually welfare.

The war against common sense that allowed wall street to destroy people's savings is the most costly.

Comrade Stalin

Of course, it is the War on Poverty. I wonder why libs/progressives never complain about this war since they complain about every other American war.
The libs/progressives have BEEN talking-about cutting-off funds to the terrorists (that've been having the largest-impact on our economy)!!!! :mad:

Unfortunately, "conservatives" have consistently made excuses for those terrorists....while, at-the-same-time, insisting "conservatives" are the real-Americans. :rolleyes:

I'd say the larger-issue, here, is TREASON, c/o The Republican Party!!!! Why DO Republicans hate America???? :confused:

1. Medicare and Social Security aren't welfare.
2. yes, we have spent a lot of money on welfare, way too much.
3. I'm not sure just where you're getting your figures, as you didn't provide a link.
4. If you add up the cost of enforcement, the cost of jail time, and the cost of the forgotten war in Colombia, it would be quite a sum.

I can't say for sure that the war on drugs is more costly, but I'm willing to bet it is, if you add up all of the hidden costs, then only count as welfare what is actually welfare.

You are not paying attention. Medicare and SS are NOT welfare programs and are NOT included in the numbers cited here. No one ever said they were except YOU. Nothing in the history of the world exceeds the cost of welfare, of course except the overall Federal budget.

READ THIS - Since the beginning of the War on Poverty, government has spent $15.9 trillion (in inflation-adjusted 2008 dol*lars) on means-tested welfare. In comparison, the cost of all other wars in U.S. history was $6.4 trillion (in inflation-adjusted 2008 dollars).

Now if you believe the war on crime costs more, I would love to sell you a bridge I own over the interstate. Just send me your credit card number.

http://www.heritage.org/Research/Welfare/sr0067.cfm

The truth can set you free unless you want to be a slave (aka liberalism).
Good point

but they will still raise your taxes and punish you if you work hard to give it to others who refuse to work at all.
"...give it..."???? :confused:

What're we talking-about, here....peoples' income???? (I guess we Libs aren't the mind-readers...or, psychics..."conservatives" are. :rolleyes: )

I guess we do need to show more compassion for those working-people who're scraping to get-by!!!

"For the top brass at the big health plans, there also was a wide range in pay changes between 2007 and 2008. Three executives — Jay Gellert, president and CEO of Health Net; Angela Braly, president and CEO of WellPoint; and Aetna Chair and CEO Ronald Williams — saw boosts in total compensation. Williams’ went up by 5%, from $23 million to $24.3 million; Braly’s by 8%, from $9 million to $9.8 million; and Gellert’s by 20%, from $3.6 million to $4.4 million.

On the other end of the spectrum, the pay package for UnitedHealth Group President and CEO Stephen Hemsley dropped 75%, from $13.1 million in 2007 to $3.2 million in 2008."

:eek:
My GAWD!!!!!!!! How fair is THAT??!!!!

Expecting (one o') the financial-elite (in The Greatest Country On Earth) to live on $3.2 million...for an entire-year??!!!!! :eek:

What's this Country COMING-TO???!!!!!!!

* Welfare to poor and low-income families is now the third most expensive government function after aid to the elderly in the form of Social Security and Medicare and after education. We spend less on national defense than on welfare.

I take exception to the use of the term "aid" when referencing Social Security and Medicare. These are things that we have been paying for out of each of our checks.

I also, believe that we need safety net programs to make sure we don't end up in worse case scenarios. The problem is that they encompass too many people and are very poorly managed. IMHO
I can't believe very-many o' the local-merchant$ (who rely on these peoples' incomes) are doin' a whole-lotta complaining.

It's the same with Unemployment Compensation. Too-many (more-conservative) people complain about the amount o' UC being payed-out, but never (even) consider the economic-impact, if those funds weren't paid-out.

It's the same argument I've always made, about boosting the minimum-wage. Those people who benefit (from a boost in the minimum-wage) probably aren't heavily-invested, in Wall Street....but, their local-merchant$ surely are appreciative of the new-money that's moving-around.​

Yes I know who the dead kennedys are but its been a while since i listened to them and I didnt like them when I did. I dislike punk music.

I had to look up the other guy and just from reading a line i can tell you I would not like him

Politically, Jello is a member of the Green Party[1] and actively supports leftist political causes

I dislike leftist policys and causes and I dont like the green party either

and as of today I do not like build a bear and refuse to ever buy anything for my daughter from them again for what they did this week on global warming and brainwashing children.
You (closet) Pat Boone fans are toooooooooooo obvious.

00105003.jpg

:rolleyes:

The point you miss is that welfare does not work. We need to come up with a different approach, but this will never happen because the Left wants millions of Americans enslaved to big government. Any criticism of Welfare is met with hysterical responses like yours. So, nothing changes.
Yeah....you'd think millions-of-Americans would (at least) show a little gratitude for the minimum-wage!!

I like the Grateful Dead, The Band, Neil Young, Bob Seger, Lynard Skynard
and basicly most all southern rock.

I do like Neil Diamond though and as much as I hate her politics I like Barbra Striesand and Cher

at least we can agree on 2 of those bands...Skynard and Segar...

watchs for hell to freeze over, we agreed on something again

Metal , Punk , classic Rock, Irish, Irish Punk, blues....its all good

Werbung:
at least we can agree on 2 of those bands...Skynard and Segar...

watchs for hell to freeze over, we agreed on something again

Metal , Punk , classic Rock, Irish, Irish Punk, blues....its all good

Well everyone likes classic rock but I am getting fustrated that they are putting Bon Jovi in the classic rock section

I think classic I think led zeppelin, Cream exc.

Punk ?? YUCK!

well I did like the Ramones, does that count :)

saw them once, they were good!

Dont we agree on the death penalty ?

Back