Dallas hospital cares for illegal immigrants
But it's U.S. taxpayers who are footing the multi-million-dollar bill

By Don Teague
Correspondent
NBC News
Updated: 5:35 p.m. CT Aug 3, 2006

Don Teague
Correspondent

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DALLAS - Parkland Memorial Hospital — the same iconic institution where doctors tried to save John F. Kennedy in 1963 — is today where tens of thousands of illegal immigrants receive taxpayer subsidized care.

“Whether they come from this country or somewhere else, doesn’t matter how I treat them,” says Richard Benson, a doctor at Parkland Hospital.

The most common patients here are expectant mothers. Each year about 16,000 babies are born at Parkland. The hospital estimates about 70 percent of them are delivered by undocumented mothers.

Among the new mothers is a woman who didn't want to be identified — an illegal immigrant from Mexico. Her medical bills will run more than $6,000.

But with no insurance, Parkland — a public hospital — is forced to cover the cost.

“We have to figure out how to continue to deal with this because it’s very difficult to fund it,” says Parkland President Dr. Ron Anderson.

Anderson says the cost of treating undocumented immigrants — millions of dollars each year — is unsustainable.

Still, he says, his hospital will never turn away patients.

“You are going to make some awful mistakes when you decide that one person is worthy and one person isn’t worthy,” Anderson says.

But 30 miles away, a Fort Worth public hospital is making those decisions, requiring patients to prove they're here legally before picking up the tab for non-emergency treatment.

“In some cases, you can’t afford 100 percent subsidized care to everyone that walks in here,” Robert Earley with John Peter Smith Hospital says.

The decision has drawn fire from Hispanic rights groups and people like Dominga Valderama, with her newborn baby at Parkland. She's a U.S. citizen, but has undocumented relatives.

"Can you put a price on someone’s health, put a price on a baby’s life?” says Valderama. “Everyone’s entitled to basic rights.”

But who should pay?

That’s a question one of the nation's top public hospitals is struggling to answer.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14172601/

Werbung:
Hospitals EVERYWHERE give free care to illegal aliens. I once went to the emergency room with a bout of acute gastroenteritis. I had to wait for an hour, in pain clutching my guts, behind two perfectly healthy illegal alien women who were there for prenatal checkups for their "anchor" babies. The unpaid costs are shifted to US citizen patients with insurance, making their deductables and premiums go up. There are about four trauma centers that have closed in Los Angeles because they essentially have been bankrupted by non-paying illegal aliens.

Yes

That is how real Christians should behave. God bless people who work there in Dallas hospital:)

You two do not complain that your tax money is used to kill innocents in the Middle East???:( :eek:

That is how real Christians should behave. God bless people who work there in Dallas hospital:) What makes you think the people at Parkland are Christian? It is too bad you don't care more about American citizens. So much of our tax money going for ILLEGALS instead of helping American citizens. Why do you hate us so??

You two do not complain that your tax money is used to kill innocents in the Middle East???:( :eek:What a liar you are. I don't think we should be anywhere in the Middle East, including Israel.[/QUOTE]

Why do you hate us so??

Why does expressing approval that a hospital didn't turn human beings away to die necessarily equate to hating Americans?

I can't stand those kinds of debate tactics. Not only are they lame and transparent, but they are extremely dishonest. Go team.

yes

That is how real Christians should behave. God bless people who work there in Dallas hospital:) What makes you think the people at Parkland are Christian? It is too bad you don't care more about American citizens. So much of our tax money going for ILLEGALS instead of helping American citizens. Why do you hate us so??

You two do not complain that your tax money is used to kill innocents in the Middle East???:( :eek:What a liar you are. I don't think we should be anywhere in the Middle East, including Israel.[/QUOTE]

:cool: I do not have any evidence that good people at Dallas hospital are Christians, even if there are not they could set example on how to treat these in need.
You said that tax money are used to help illegal emigrants but you can’t tell was there help of humanitarian organization or not. Maybe these organizations receive some help from state but I am convinced that most of their money comes from good people within organization.
About 50 million Americans do not have any health insurance. I think that statistic is more worth to worry about. That is my opinion.

Read this please http://www.nchc.org/facts/coverage.shtml

Should anyone who is sick and in need be turned away?

:cool: I do not have any evidence that good people at Dallas hospital are Christians, even if there are not they could set example on how to treat these in need.
You said that tax money are used to help illegal emigrants but you can’t tell was there help of humanitarian organization or not. Maybe these organizations receive some help from state but I am convinced that most of their money comes from good people within organization.
About 50 million Americans do not have any health insurance. I think that statistic is more worth to worry about. That is my opinion.

Read this please http://www.nchc.org/facts/coverage.shtml

I'm one of the Americans that have no insurance. Parkland hospital is the country hospital....TAX FUNDED.

Why isn't the Illegals country of origin treating those in need?

The unfortunate thing is that if they keep this up they will go out of business and then they won't be treating anybody.

But none of us want to see people suffering. What do we do?

First, I have no problem with treating illegal aliens if they have insurance.

Secondly, since Mexico wants to be friendly with us I would tell them they have to pay for these people from their country or we close our borders and change our immigration policies.

So....some sick or dying people should be turned away? I wonder if doctors, who swear upon a certain oath, feel that way.

I'd say we treat them because to do otherwise would be to value money over compassion.

hahaha

I'm one of the Americans that have no insurance. Parkland hospital is the country hospital....TAX FUNDED.

Why isn't the Illegals country of origin treating those in need?

I can't tell that for sure. Most hospitals are owned by organizations or individuals:D
They maybe need immediate help:eek

Dr.Who

If they don't let them die? So American who pays taxes and health insurance can tell that for 50 million other Americans who do not have any insurance?

Dr.Who

If they don't let them die? So American who pays taxes and health insurance can tell that for 50 million other Americans who do not have any insurance?

Do your feet hurt from jumping to so many conclusions?

I said: If they have insurance they should be treated if not then their country of origin should foot the bill. What part of "Mexico should pay for it" tells you that I think they should be let to die?

Re: the 50 mil Americans without insurance. They have health care so they don't really need insurance do they?

Werbung:
hahaa

Do your feet hurt from jumping to so many conclusions?

I said: If they have insurance they should be treated if not then their country of origin should foot the bill. What part of "Mexico should pay for it" tells you that I think they should be let to die?

Re: the 50 mil Americans without insurance. They have health care so they don't really need insurance do they?

No, I have Nike’s 360s…

What you wrote was: First, I have no problem with treating illegal aliens if they have insurance.It makes anyone think that you support treating patients ONLY if they have health insurance. Rest of them can die, or simply said not be treated at hospital :eek: :confused:

I wouldn’t agree that they do not need insurance but still should receive medical help, and that puts them in the same basket with refugees.

Please do not write aliens, they look human to me. Maybe there are some aliens living on Mars, just not discovered yet, who knows…:D

Back