Do you believe in gravity?

Werbung:
Gee Coyote you still havent studied the laws of gravity yet? Still chasing that road runner arent ya? :D

coyote-06.jpg

I'm afraid that he has you there Coyote.

It is newton's law, not newton's theory.

If object A has mass Ma and object B has mass Mb,
then the force F on object A is directed toward object B
and has magnitude

F = G Ma Mb / r2

I don't believe gravity is something, per se, but rather the observation of simply moving through space. Gravity is just an abstract term used to describe the effect of moving through space/time which is warped by mass.

Not current

I don't believe gravity is something, per se, but rather the observation of simply moving through space. Gravity is just an abstract term used to describe the effect of moving through space/time which is warped by mass.
Einstein thought that gravity was the effect of a large mass on the time and fabric of space like a bowling ball resting on the center of a trampoline. The weight of the ball would make a depression in the fabric into which objects would be drawn in. However, current scientific theory no longer embrace that view inasmuch as it only works for large objects but not small ones like atoms.

and has magnitude

F = G Ma Mb / r2

Damn...and I was getting ready to spring my velcro theory of gravity.

It's just a theory after all. I'm having some serious doubts about it myself....

Someone did point out that it is a law and not a theory.

A law is just something that scientists have not yet observed to be otherwise. There is no guarantee that they will not make an observation tomorrow that will change our understanding. I think we have already modified our understanding of gravity already.

Scientists have been observing gravity for a very small amount of time given how long the universe has existed and in a very small area that we can observe given how large the universe is.

Did gravity behave as we see it 5 million years ago? Honestly we don't know.
Does it behave the same way on the other side of the universe? Honestly we don't know.
Has there ever been a time here recently when it behaved differently but perhaps the scientists just missed it? Honestly we don't know but there have been reports.
Is there any reason to think that God cannot suspend the law of gravity at will? Honestly we don't know but there have been reports.
Do we have any reason to think that it is uniform, or perhaps it is changing so slowly over time that we just don't notice the change.

So do I believe in it? Yes. Do I think that we understand it fully? No. Do I think that it is logical to assume that it is immutable? No.

and has magnitude

F = G Ma Mb / r2

That would be the FORCE DUE TO GRAVITY -- not GRAVITY.

Re: Not current

Einstein thought that gravity was the effect of a large mass on the time and fabric of space like a bowling ball resting on the center of a trampoline. The weight of the ball would make a depression in the fabric into which objects would be drawn in. However, current scientific theory no longer embrace that view inasmuch as it only works for large objects but not small ones like atoms.

Says who? You?

Don't make me laugh.

Werbung:

That is the most precise thing I've seen you say in this forum.

Congratulations.

Back