Does The Olympic Games promote Peace?

It's mainly the interaction between athletes which can contribute to world peace. Meeting face to face with the Olympians from all over the world would deepen understanding between nations and the Olympic Games can serve as a venue for public diplomacy. Personally, meeting young American students improved the image of the US overall while it is difficult to overcome lingering historical animosities between some nationalities.
Third Term I agree with you. The first time seen an America, even an Asian or frican was at the 1956 Olympics. Of course not all promote peace.Some just use the Olympics to promote a cause. I know Conservatives here think the Black Power salute did more harm to the American image. But others including the winning of the bronze medal , an Australia was inspire to start a friendship with the Black athetics. He wore a badge of support. They even come to Australia for his funeral.

Attachments

• scan0041.jpg
    scan0041.jpg
    440.7 KB · Views: 1
Werbung:
If theyre about peace then how come Jimmy Carter boycotted the Moscow games back in 1980? And Reagan kicked 0ut the Russisans in 84?

If theyre about peace then how come Jimmy Carter boycotted the Moscow games back in 1980? And Reagan kicked 0ut the Russisans in 84?

Reagan did not kick out the Russians in 1984.
The Soviet Union led a boycott of many eastern bloc nations in response to James Earl Carter's boycott in 1980.
Tit for tat.

Well Johnny i lived back in those days to remember it. After the Russians shot down that south korean airliner,,There was so much outrage from our government and the American people were outraged as well. Remember Samatha Smith that lil girl who wrote to the Russian president was concerned about war. He told her USSR is a peaceful country we want peace not war. Well then we reminded her what does she think now? Then Reagan went on the air adressed about the russians. And there was an organizion about keeping the russians out the 84 games. Then the State Dept said they are welcomed but we will not give them protection. Thats when Russians withdraw from the games because of the Safety of the athletes. It did reminded you what happened in the 72 games. The Germans didnt give Isrealian athletes any security. Russian think something might happen to them because of the downing of that south koran airline. The organizion said it was a great victory for us that the russians arent comming.

and at the end of the day the olympics is just an other meet/match/tournament albeit a high profile one which in these all pro versions is really the equivalent of being a contract year for all the serious competitors. ergo the standard set of new world records and such.

shoot even the IOC demonstrated it was all about the money when they shifted it to a two year deal which only just evens the revenue stream.

looking like a bad one this time in Jolly Olde England. too bad they didn't get Mitt Romney over there to pull their arses out of the fire like Salt Lake City did.

Well Johnny i lived back in those days to remember it. After the Russians shot down that south korean airliner,,There was so much outrage from our government and the American people were outraged as well. Remember Samatha Smith that lil girl who wrote to the Russian president was concerned about war. He told her USSR is a peaceful country we want peace not war. Well then we reminded her what does she think now? Then Reagan went on the air adressed about the russians. And there was an organizion about keeping the russians out the 84 games. Then the State Dept said they are welcomed but we will not give them protection. Thats when Russians withdraw from the games because of the Safety of the athletes. It did reminded you what happened in the 72 games. The Germans didnt give Isrealian athletes any security. Russian think something might happen to them because of the downing of that south koran airline. The organizion said it was a great victory for us that the russians arent comming.

I remember the 1952 Olympics in Helsinki.

I was rather young at the time. It was 60 years ago--who remembers?
Don't get persnickety Dogboy!

trick question ! it was a summer games ! bizzare.
I'm sure yoiu remember barrel jumping from Wide World of Sports with Jim McKay... always knew it was a slow sports season when they put that on.

Werbung:
I remember the 1952 Olympics in Helsinki.
I must be as old as Johnny .I remember the Helsinki Games in 1952 which was the one before my city Melbourne in 1956. We did have the same sports, Track and field, Swimming ,etc.
Also I attended the Moscow Games in 1980 when some Western countries boycotted the Games because the USSR attack Alganistan?. Of cource no other country would do that would they. I attended but wore a black tie in protest.

Back