Free trade?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
We all know that free trade will help the global economy as a whole.

However, it may hurt some of the industries in the U.S. and many of the U.S. workers may be laid off.

Do you think that we should still strive for free trade?

Werbung:
We all know that free trade will help the global economy as a whole.

However, it may hurt some of the industries in the U.S. and many of the U.S. workers may be laid off.

Do you think that we should still strive for free trade?

I think we need to help developing countries develop and reach that goal by trading with them (for various reasons, including the environment). We could promote a free trade network between those countries also. But once they are developed, I think we need to keep to ourselves a bit more. I'm definitely not happy with all the outsourcing because it takes jobs away from Americans, and I think there need to be more tariffs on imports from companies with factories, etc. outside the US.

Also 'globalisation' is simply another word for imperialism. Take Iraq. We invaded there for a number of reasons, including that it's a new market for our goods. Saddam didn't want our companies going in there, but with him out of the way, and a democracy that we control, Coca-Cola, McDonalds, etc. can sell their products there. The Iraqis have plenty of oil wealth and can afford stuff, so American companies exploit that. In the process we destroy their culture by imposing our own, and I personally don't like that.

I am always interested in hearing the context in which people worry about other people's jobs. If you took a survey today and asked if people would favor switching to a clean endless alternative energy source immediately if it were available, you would probably get near a 100% yes response with no regard at all for how many people would lose their jobs if we stopped using fossil fuels.

I am always interested in hearing the context in which people worry about other people's jobs. If you took a survey today and asked if people would favor switching to a clean endless alternative energy source immediately if it were available, you would probably get near a 100% yes response with no regard at all for how many people would lose their jobs if we stopped using fossil fuels.

If we switched to nuclear power, that would create just as many jobs as we have in coal plants. Also, if we use hydrogen in cars, there would still have to be filling stations.

If we switched to nuclear power, that would create just as many jobs as we have in coal plants. Also, if we use hydrogen in cars, there would still have to be filling stations.

So the coal miners who lose their jobs can just move over to the nuke plant? No lost jobs? Right?

Just as many jobs huh. Tell me the exact number of jobs since you seem sure of that, also with hydrogen there is still an unsolved problem.

So the coal miners who lose their jobs can just move over to the nuke plant? No lost jobs? Right?

Well yeah I guess coal miners would lose their jobs. But nuclear power would create a lot of new jobs because it takes more manpower to run a nuclear plant than a coal plant.

Anyway, you could make the same argument about any progress. Jobs are always going to be lost with the introduction of new technology; it's inevitable.

Werbung:
Just as many jobs huh. Tell me the exact number of jobs since you seem sure of that,

The exact number of jobs? How can anyone possibly know that? But it's obvious that it takes a lot of people to run a nuclear plant as compared to a coal plant. Coal mining, however, would be the place hardest hit. But like I said in the post above, it's inevitable that jobs will be lost with the introduction of new technology. Would you rather have a completely stable unemployment rate or have our society progress?

Friendindeed said:
also with hydrogen there is still an unsolved problem.

Which is?

Back