If Supercommittee agrees on LARGE cuts, any chance in world Congress will pass them?

Re: If Supercommittee agrees on LARGE cuts, any chance in world Congress will pass th

So now Newt is the one who did it...Clinton had nothing to do with it

But of course when you don't like the result...Obama did not balance the budget and you will not go after the Speaker of the House..Because can't have that, got to blame Obama.

he signed the legislation, I guess that counts. what Bubba mainly did when his silly ideas went down in flames was let Newt do what he wanted and cheerlead as though he was involved. unusually smart for a democrat but of course he was a Rhodes scholar as opposed to an affirmative actrion check off. Obama on the other hand neither leads nor follows but insists on getting in the way.

Werbung:
Re: If Supercommittee agrees on LARGE cuts, any chance in world Congress will pass th

So now Newt is the one who did it...Clinton had nothing to do with it

But of course when you don't like the result...Obama did not balance the budget and you will not go after the Speaker of the House..Because can't have that, got to blame Obama.

Oh, the Republicans are perfectly willing to blame Pelosi.

Congress? Does Congress have anything to do with the problem?

And people like you are why it will not get done...you think a compromise is what ever you want and giving nothing to the other side..

giving something to one side or the other is what got us in the fix we're in. just do what America want which is to roll back this insane spending. the only compromise that resutls as a part of the process you favor is the future of the republic.

giving something to one side or the other is what got us in the fix we're in. just do what America want which is to roll back this insane spending. the only compromise that resutls as a part of the process you favor is the future of the republic.

I agree so why does your side not just shut up and give the other side what it wants...

I Know compromise in republican means give us what we want or else we shoot the kitten. And then blame you for it.

I agree so why does your side not just shut up and give the other side what it wants...

I Know compromise in republican means give us what we want or else we shoot the kitten. And then blame you for it.

the other side just wants more tax money to waste on the insane spending. we cannot afford these levels of spending. its not easy for junkies to give up their fix but that doesn't mean its not critical that they do.

no more money for you.

Another point that the lib media never mentions is the Ds do not want a solution. BO intends to run against a 'do nothing Congress.' How can they be do nothings if they actually do something?

My side, your side, right side, left side, who in Congress is on America's side? No wonder their approval rating is lower than the dirt under a well digger's boots.

My side, your side, right side, left side, who in Congress is on America's side? No wonder their approval rating is lower than the dirt under a well digger's boots.

Considering that none of them is on the side of the nation as a whole shouldn't we be reducing their power?

Considering that none of them is on the side of the nation as a whole shouldn't we be reducing their power?

One would think, but not when liberalism runs rampant and many are fooled by it's lies.

How do we reduce their power?

other than by voting them out of office, that is.

I think it's likely to get a lot of lip service to gain political points. I don't think it's likely to pass, however.

How about expecting them to create a budget as required by the constitution each and every year?

We do expect them to do so. What do we get from our great expectations?

How about not expanding statism, e.g. the welfare state.

We, the people, do this how?

I voted for Reagan in '80 because I thought he would actually scale back the size and power of the federal government.

Some of the self described conservatives today think that actually happened.

It didn't.

Nor has it happened any time since.

We seriously need to reform Congress, get rid of the career politicians who are there to make money, promote their party, and stay in power as long as possible.

But how?

I think it's likely to get a lot of lip service to gain political points. I don't think it's likely to pass, however.

We do expect them to do so. What do we get from our great expectations?

We, the people, do this how?

I voted for Reagan in '80 because I thought he would actually scale back the size and power of the federal government.

Some of the self described conservatives today think that actually happened.

It didn't.

Nor has it happened any time since.

We seriously need to reform Congress, get rid of the career politicians who are there to make money, promote their party, and stay in power as long as possible.

But how?

You are right that attempts to date have failed. You are right that both parties are guilty to varying degrees.

That is why we need to get behind future attempts and give them some bite.

Werbung:

IIRC the new rules say that the Supercommittee is charged with finding some $1.2 trillion in cuts. And that whatever the Supercommittee agrees on, is merely a recommendation, not a law (or even a passed bill). It then goes to the full Congress (House and Senate) for an up-or-down vote, without discussion. If they pass it, then the President gets his chance to sign it... or not.

Well, maybe the Congress can't discuss it, but the media can. And Congress's votes will be public, so it will be known that Congressman Bupkis from North Wherever voted to pass it. But you know the drill. As soon as the Scomm's recommendations are passed (or sooner), they will become public information. And the media screaming will begin instantly... but they may as well not waste the bandwidth. We already know what they will say.

"But-but-but this will take away school lunches from children! And that part will cut down Seniors' benefits! And the other part over there will be especially hard on women and minorities!!! WE CAN'T HAVE THIS!!!"

Same old, same old. And any Rep or Senator who dares vote for it, will be tarred, feathered, and run out of town on a rail. And Congresscritters will be put on all the morning shows as "Serious, concerned" newsreaders pillory them before the public any time they even hint they might vote Yes. And Breaking News will erupt every five minutes with the revelation that Mary Martin from Calexico actually said she is considering it. And etc. etc. You know the drill.

So, is this whole Supercommittee thing an exercise in futility? In the unlikely event that six Republicans and six Democrats can even agree how to spell "In Congress assembled", is there any chance that what they agree on, will even see the light of day in the full Congress before it's summarily thrown out?

LOL!

can you say, OBE!*

* OBE: Used in the Marine Corps for Overcome By Events.

Back