Breaking news: Obama, Congress fail to reach fiscal cliff deal The House will miss the deadline

steveox

House won't vote before midnight on 'cliff' deal

WASHINGTON (AP) — The House will miss the midnight Monday deadline lawmakers set for voting to avoid the "fiscal cliff."
House Republicans notified lawmakers that the chamber will vote Monday evening on other bills. They say that will be their only votes of the day.

President Barack Obama and Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell said Monday they are near a deal to avoid wide-ranging tax increases and spending cuts — the fiscal cliff — that take effect with the new year.

Both men said they were still bargaining over whether — and how — to avoid $109 billion in cuts to defense and domestic programs that take effect on Wednesday.

It remained unclear whether the Senate would vote Monday.
Congress could pass later legislation retroactively blocking the tax hikes and spending cuts.

http://news.yahoo.com/house-wont-vote-midnight-cliff-deal-211949556--politics.html
BLAME THE DEMOCRATS!

Werbung:
blame everyone. gop had no business daying ok to this crap to begin with.

but they can redeem themselves by just saying no to debt limit increases

It just seems to me Democrats have no intention ever compromising.

Your right. The House has sent over 30 bills to the Senate and Reid won't even take them up. Obama and Reid have no intention of letting anything the House does come up for a vote.

It just seems to me Democrats have no intention ever compromising.

What a joke!

Obama and Reid have compromise. . .but Boenher is too weak of a "leader" to get anything done in the House!

The Senate passed a compromised that would allow the fiscal cliff to be a moot point IF the house also pass this bill!

Now is the time for you guys to put up or shut up.

And if your taxes are raised when you get your next pay check, and if your unemployment check no longer comes to you. . . You will have only Boenher, the tea party and Norquist to blame!

If this doesn't pass the House later today. . . I wonder how LOW the approval rate of the House will go! Can it go lower than 5%, I guess we will find out!

Well Supposed GOP stood on their own principal? and nothing got passed youll have the Elite liberal media blaming the G.O.P

What a joke!

Obama and Reid have compromise. . .but Boenher is too weak of a "leader" to get anything done in the House!

Obama and Reid want the same things -- are in the same Party, and basically push a very similiar legislative agenda....that is not "compromise". That is simply the Democrats position.

The Senate passed a compromised that would allow the fiscal cliff to be a moot point IF the house also pass this bill!

I am responding late to this one -- but I assume you are referencing the vote on expanding the Bush tax cuts for $250,000 and below?

Now is the time for you guys to put up or shut up.

And if your taxes are raised when you get your next pay check, and if your unemployment check no longer comes to you. . . You will have only Boenher, the tea party and Norquist to blame!

If this doesn't pass the House later today. . . I wonder how LOW the approval rate of the House will go! Can it go lower than 5%, I guess we will find out!

I do find it ironic that the Bush tax cuts during the 2008 campaign were just for rich people who didn't want them, and now the argument is a frantic push to extend them to save the middle class.

Obama and Reid want the same things -- are in the same Party, and basically push a very similiar legislative agenda....that is not "compromise". That is simply the Democrats position.

Come on BigRob, time to get back in the swing of things. . .OBVIOUSLY Reid and Obama are both Democrats and wanted the same thing! Duh!
I am saying that they both (together) agreed to a compromise that BOEHNER rejected. . .so Reid and Obama OFFERED a compromise, and BOEHNER didn't want to compromise.

Capicce?

I am responding late to this one -- but I assume you are referencing the vote on expanding the Bush tax cuts for $250,000 and below?

No, dear. I am talking about RAISING that $250,000 to $450,000 as a compromise to the REPUBLICAN's demand that it be raised to $1 million!
And it is the $450,000 that finally passed.

I do find it ironic that the Bush tax cuts during the 2008 campaign were just for rich people who didn't want them, and now the argument is a frantic push to extend them to save the middle class

And WHO Said that the Bush tax cuts were ONLY for the wealthy? The reality is (and what has been pointed out) is that the WEALTHY BENEFITED a LOT more than the middle class and poor from the Bush tax cuts. . .

bush_ignore_2.GIF

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/briefing-book/background/bush-tax-cuts/ignore.cfm

Come on BigRob, time to get back in the swing of things. . .OBVIOUSLY Reid and Obama are both Democrats and wanted the same thing! Duh!
I am saying that they both (together) agreed to a compromise that BOEHNER rejected. . .so Reid and Obama OFFERED a compromise, and BOEHNER didn't want to compromise.

Capicce?

We obviously were not following the same fiscal cliff negotiations...because in no world is this statement accurate. The back and forth is listed below:

Dollar amounts are shown in billions.
Budget CategoryObama#1​
Nov 29Boehner#1​
Dec 3Obama#2​
Dec 10Boehner#2​
Dec 14Obama#3​
Dec 17​
Discretionary Spending​
$0 $300 $0 $850 $200
Health Care​
$350 $600 $350 $400
Other Mandatory​
$250 $300 $250 $200
Chained CPI for Spending​
$0 $150 $0 $150 $125
Spending Subtotal
$600 $1,350 $600 $1,000 $925
Upfront Revenue​
$950 $800 $1,400 $250 $1,150
Additional Revenue Through Tax Reform​
$600 $700
Chained CPI for Revenue​
$0 $50 $0 $50 $50
Revenue Subtotal
$1,550 $850 $1,400 $1,000 $1,200
Interest
$225 $325 $200 $300 $300
Stimulus / Tax Extenders
−$425 $0 −$425 $0 −$175
Total
$1,950 $2,525 $1,775 $2,300 $2,250
Public Debt in 2022 as a percent of GDP​
74% 71% 74% 72% 72%

No, dear. I am talking about RAISING that $250,000 to $450,000 as a compromise to the REPUBLICAN's demand that it be raised to $1 million!
And it is the $450,000 that finally passed.

You might want to check back into reality and take a look at the facts:

From the New York Times:
On some of the biggest sticking points, the two sides are now inches apart. Barely a week after House Republicans refused to vote to allow taxes to rise on incomes over $1 million, Senate Republicans proposed allowing tax rates to rise on incomes over $450,000 for individuals and $550,000 for couples. Democrats countered with a proposal to extend expiring Bush-era tax cuts up to $360,000 for individuals and $450,000 for couples. For both sides, that meant major movement. Mr. Obama has been holding firm at a $250,000 threshold.

As clearly reported, the $450,000 "compromise" was a Republican idea that was floated. The Republicans pulled their $1 million idea because it lacked Republican support. Obama did not compromise to get to that point. McConnell and Biden more or less did -- and it involved a ton of movement by Republicans, as well as a huge compromise -- such as raising taxes.

And WHO Said that the Bush tax cuts were ONLY for the wealthy? The reality is (and what has been pointed out) is that the WEALTHY BENEFITED a LOT more than the middle class and poor from the Bush tax cuts. . .

Do I really need to go back and prove that Democrats brutally attacked Republicans over these tax cuts -- and now are fully in support of 98% of them?

As for why the "rich" got the most benefit in terms of actual dollars....go figure...they pay the most taxes.

We obviously were not following the same fiscal cliff negotiations...because in no world is this statement accurate. The back and forth is listed below:

Dollar amounts are shown in billions.
Budget CategoryObama#1​
Nov 29Boehner#1​
Dec 3Obama#2​
Dec 10Boehner#2​
Dec 14Obama#3​
Dec 17​
Discretionary Spending
$0 $300 $0 $850 $200
Health Care
$350 $600 $350 $400
Other Mandatory
$250 $300 $250 $200
Chained CPI for Spending
$0 $150 $0 $150 $125
Spending Subtotal
$600 $1,350 $600 $1,000 $925
Upfront Revenue
$950 $800 $1,400 $250 $1,150
Additional Revenue Through Tax Reform
$600 $700
Chained CPI for Revenue
$0 $50 $0 $50 $50
Revenue Subtotal
$1,550 $850 $1,400 $1,000 $1,200
Interest
$225 $325 $200 $300 $300
Stimulus / Tax Extenders
−$425 $0 −$425 $0 −$175
Total
$1,950 $2,525 $1,775 $2,300 $2,250
Public Debt in 2022 as a percent of GDP
74% 71% 74% 72% 72%

You might want to check back into reality and take a look at the facts:

From the New York Times:
On some of the biggest sticking points, the two sides are now inches apart. Barely a week after House Republicans refused to vote to allow taxes to rise on incomes over $1 million, Senate Republicans proposed allowing tax rates to rise on incomes over $450,000 for individuals and $550,000 for couples. Democrats countered with a proposal to extend expiring Bush-era tax cuts up to $360,000 for individuals and $450,000 for couples. For both sides, that meant major movement. Mr. Obama has been holding firm at a $250,000 threshold.

As clearly reported, the $450,000 "compromise" was a Republican idea that was floated. The Republicans pulled their $1 million idea because it lacked Republican support. Obama did not compromise to get to that point. McConnell and Biden more or less did -- and it involved a ton of movement by Republicans, as well as a huge compromise -- such as raising taxes.

Do I really need to go back and prove that Democrats brutally attacked Republicans over these tax cuts -- and now are fully in support of 98% of them?

As for why the "rich" got the most benefit in terms of actual dollars....go figure...they pay the most taxes.

When did you get back from Spain?

The reason I ask is that you obviously got an OLD New York time article . . .and obviously you didn't bother to put a link or a DATE. In anyway, that article is far from being the "last news!"

Maybe you missed this proposal. . .which obviously was not accepted! It wasn't the first one. . .but it was probably the last one before they ran out of time and decided to go for a "fix" to avoid the sequester and give themselves 2 more months to decide on the spending cuts.

By the way, you did hear about Boehner's "Plan B" which he wanted the House to vote on (although Obama would have rejected it), but EVEN with his Republican majority in the House, Boehner couldn't get enough support for his "plan B" so he had to call of the vote or see his plan defeated by his own party!

Before Mr. Obama and Boehner cut their talks off prior to Christmas, they were seemingly closing in on a deal, with the president offering $1.2 trillion in tax revenues and $800 billion in spending cuts to Boehner's $1 trillion of each. Also, Boehner had proposed letting the Bush-era tax cuts expire for those making $1 million or more; Mr. Obama had offered changing the top threshold to $400,000, as opposed to the current $250,000 threshold.
ww.cbsnews.com/8301-34222_162-57561164-10391739/obama-fiscal-cliff-meeting-called-constructive/

And. . .obviously the wealthy pay more taxes! They are holding on to the bulk of the wealth also!
And I bet you can't argue that they are also holding on to the huge majority of the "take home money" after they pay taxes!

Duh!

Werbung:
Back