If Taliban said they's leave Afgh in 2011, wouldn't we regard that as victory for us?

Re: If Taliban said they's leave Afgh in 2011, wouldn't we regard that as victory for

From my topic: President Obama putting it all into perpective for me: My post #24
articleLarge.jpg
John Thys/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images
Anders Fogh Rasmussen, the NATO secretary general, spoke on Wednesday at the NATO headquarters in Brussels.
By ALAN COWELL

Published: December 2, 2009
PARIS — As political and military leaders across the globe pondered President Obama’s announcement of his Afghan strategy, European allies offered a mixed response on Wednesday, with some of the biggest contributors to the NATO coalition withholding promises of immediate troop reinforcements.
Obama’s Surge Strategy in Afghanistan
Will 30,000 additional troops be sufficient to curb the insurgency?
The NATO secretary general, Anders Fogh Rasmussen, said he believed other members of the alliance would contribute 5,000 soldiers — and possibly more — to make a “substantial” increase to the 42,000 NATO troops already ranged against the Taliban.
“This is not just America’s war,” he said at the alliance’s headquarters in Brussels.
But the president’s entreaties drew an ambivalent response in some European nations where the war is broadly unpopular among voters who question why it is being fought and whether it can be won.
France and Germany ruled out an immediate commitment, saying they were awaiting an Afghanistan conference in London in late January. Other nations offered only limited numbers of soldiers.
Álvaro de Vasconcelos, director of the European Union Institute for Security Studies in Paris, said the war was “badly perceived in Europe, contaminated by the Iraq war, the killing of civilians, the collateral damage, all of which has contributed to a widespread opposition to the Afghan war among Europeans.”
“If the civilian side is as important as the military one — training the Afghan police, judiciary and doing development, which Europeans know very well how to do and consider their main expertise — it will make it easier for European leaders to get support.’”
“More troops for a very unpopular war, without knowing where we’re going, doesn’t work — you can’t sell it to Europeans,” Mr. de Vasconcelos said. “But you can sell the transition from war to crisis management.”
Mr. Obama’s plan to send around 30,000 more American soldiers was closely watched in Pakistan, gripped by a Taliban insurgency intertwined with Afghanistan’s.
There, distrust of American intentions runs deep, partly because the United States is seen as having abandoned the region after the Soviet Union’s withdrawal from Afghanistan in 1989, and there is widespread fear in the security establishment of a repetition of those events. And Pakistanis remain concerned about the possible implications of a huge troop surge just across their long and porous border with Afghanistan.

And you were involved in that discussion too...would be helpful if you would at least read the things that I brought to the table for discussion:rolleyes:

... a widespread feeling of abandonment does not mean we actually made any commitment. Where did we actually make one?

Werbung:
Re: If Taliban said they's leave Afgh in 2011, wouldn't we regard that as victory for

If the Taliban announced they'd leave Afghanistan by 2011, wouldn't we regard that as victory for our side?

This thread has been open for a while now. And now I am curious...why did you ask that question?

If the Taliban announced they'd leave Afghanistan by 2011, wouldn't we regard that as victory for our side?

The Taliban leave Afghanistan? Aren't they made up of the native population? Isn't that like asking the native Americans to leave their country in the 18th or 19th century?

I thought we were after Al Queda? What changed the mission?

The Taliban leave Afghanistan? Aren't they made up of the native population? Isn't that like asking the native Americans to leave their country in the 18th or 19th century?

I thought we were after Al Queda? What changed the mission?

what you will find is, it was a trick question, but resulted in failing due to the fact, some of us actuly know what we are talking about..in time you will now a few people here can be ignored with no real lost to good debate..

Im gonna chime in with a few things here. Firstly, Im going to mention the bright pink spotlighted elephant taking a dump on the floor that nobody has mentioned. That is the fact that we did not give Afghanistan the necessary military, political, or humanitarian support that would have been necessary to avoid the current situation we face.
The fact that someone chose to divert much more military and other resources to Mesopotamia despite the need elsewhere in that place to the right of Iran and the left of Pakistan.

I think considering that NATO has said they will supply an additional 7,000 troops for the cause with Obama, and had basically told the previous administration to piss off says something about how this last effort could create a situation where a lasting Afghan government could be a key ally to the US.

Im gonna chime in with a few things here. Firstly, Im going to mention the bright pink spotlighted elephant taking a dump on the floor that nobody has mentioned. That is the fact that we did not give Afghanistan the necessary military, political, or humanitarian support that would have been necessary to avoid the current situation we face.
Hell...the mujahideen were our Middle Eastern contras-of-the-day. They were throw-away mercs.​

The fact that someone chose to divert much more military and other resources to Mesopotamia despite the need elsewhere in that place to the right of Iran and the left of Pakistan.

I think considering that NATO has said they will supply an additional 7,000 troops for the cause with Obama, and had basically told the previous administration to piss off says something about how this last effort could create a situation where a lasting Afghan government could be a key ally to the US.

we don't even need a key ally there, we just need a government that can function in a way that makes it less likely to become a terror haven again. Bush and his high the the sky ideas about spreading Democracy, I think we need to let past and deal with whats real and possible there.

Yes, the main US focus shifted away from Afghanistan to Iraq, however the NATO and ISAF mission in Afghanistan has been growing in size since 2001, growing from an initial 5,000 soldiers to around 70,000.

Additionally, the idea that people support sending these additional soldiers to Afghanistan in NATO countries is laughable. There is loads of opposition to this deployment. From their point of view they have been sending more soldiers all along, and most likely view this as a total last ditch effort.

You also ignore the multiple thousands of additional soldiers that Bush sent back in when the Taliban began to come back. If anything, a large part of failure in Afghanistan is a failure of NATO.

If he is doing a surge for "political" reasons, then that is simply outrageous. I would rather see him simply end the war (which would be a terrible mistake in my view) than "surge" for some domestic political constituency.

Well Rob hence the problem. :)

Story time

See there once was this group of radical fearmongers who liked nothing more then to Nation Build. They would lie and connive, anything to get their way. They were called Republicans. And the largest arrow in their Republican quiver of smear was their infamous Democrats won't fight arrow.

Now while it's true that the Democrats would rather find peaceful solutions than kill they also knew that without the support of people that were uncommitted, the Independents, they would not be in charge long enough to bring the war to a successful end and the killing would go on forever.

So the Democrats being wise and crafty came up with a plan to solve both objectives. They chose to push hard quickly to make a large impact which not only deteriorated the evil doers but also demonstrated their ability to fight and fight well. That then allowed the Democrats to declare victory on their own terms on which they had set... and come home admired by not only other nations but to be elected at home ever after.

Story time

See there once was this group of radical fearmongers who liked nothing more then to Nation Build. They would lie and connive, anything to get their way. They were called Republicans. And the largest arrow in their Republican quiver of smear was their infamous Democrats won't fight arrow.

Now while it's true that the Democrats would rather find peaceful solutions than kill they also knew that without the support of people that were uncommitted, the Independents, they would not be in charge long enough to bring the war to a successful end and the killing would go on forever.

So the Democrats being wise and crafty came up with a plan to solve both objectives. They chose to push hard quickly to make a large impact which not only deteriorated the evil doers but also demonstrated their ability to fight and fight well. That then allowed the Democrats to declare victory on their own terms on which they had set... and come home admired by not only other nations but to be elected at home ever after.

So you are politicizing a war for domestic gain at the polling places? And you admit it? Pathetic.

Yes, the main US focus shifted away from Afghanistan to Iraq, however the NATO and ISAF mission in Afghanistan has been growing in size since 2001, growing from an initial 5,000 soldiers to around 70,000.

Additionally, the idea that people support sending these additional soldiers to Afghanistan in NATO countries is laughable. There is loads of opposition to this deployment. From their point of view they have been sending more soldiers all along, and most likely view this as a total last ditch effort.

You also ignore the multiple thousands of additional soldiers that Bush sent back in when the Taliban began to come back. If anything, a large part of failure in Afghanistan is a failure of NATO.

well if one looks at US Military COIN standards, and how many troops should be there, to protect a population of that size...we should have more then 500,000 troops there . Part of the issues is I think Bush Fought it to much as a Counter Terrorism, and not enough COIN...I hope that the extra troops helps...but to we are far away from troops needed to truly protect everyone based on those standards...I think that is part what took a while for this to be set up, how to best use both aspects , to the best results, with the limiter resources we are willing to use.

Story time

I do not, and would hope that, the politics of looking good, would play no issue in this at all. WE sent more troops because we needed them, because our security is at stake, and that's is...I would hope no , we should send troops to look tough talk, was used...if anyone did, I hope they would resign from office. I Don't think anyone when talking about sending troops into harms way, should ever do it for even the smallest political reason...If doing so happens to help or hurt them in politics, that should be beside the point.

Why did we decide that we had to rebuild their society to begin with?

Since we didn't have a goal in mind when we went in, I suppose someone said, "Aren't we going to rebuild their society?"

"Well, I guess that is as good of a goal as any."

We need to have attacked Al Qaeda, then left. We should have finished the war in Afganistan by now.

Haven't we already killed off most of Al Qaeda in Afganistan?

Werbung:

we don't even need a key ally there, we just need a government that can function in a way that makes it less likely to become a terror haven again. Bush and his high the the sky ideas about spreading Democracy, I think we need to let past and deal with whats real and possible there.

Fair enough, I guess I just had a 2002 flashback. Either way, I would agree that it would be worth just having a government who doesnt support international terrorism.

Back