Insurance Companies - Even more Profits

TheFranklinParty

I just did a tour of the country looking for potential Independent Congressional candidates.

One highlight of my trip was a discussing with an Executive of a health insurance claims processing company. When I asked him how bad would a single payer, government run, system hurt his business; he just laughed. He educated me on the fact that his company and most of the big insurance companies would benefit from a single payer system.

See Medicaid and Medicare claims aren't processed by a building full of civil servants. No, the government subcontracts it out to the insurance companies to manage. The single payer system would end up being the same model. This part of the business is the most profitable and consistent. Unlike the insurance side where there is a lot of risk, this side of the business is easily forcasted. See, the risk now would fall on the tax payers and be managed by the government. This will be a huge win fall for a few of the insurance companies and the rest will fall off planet, reducing any potential competition completely.

So, in the end, are we really going to be making the big bad Insurance Industry pay? Or, are we going to do what we did on Wall Street? Let the government pick the winners and the losers and let the average U.S. citizen pay the price.

Werbung:
We won't be paying multiple executives' salaries who are beholden to shareholders will we?

Presently, no. If you find your insurance company is paying their CEO more than you think they should, you can cancel your policy and go elsewhere. Ain't freedom grand?

But if Obama gets the single-payer system he wants (i.e. govt-run health insurance), then you will no longer have that freedom. You will pay to the govt, and THEY will decide what insurance companies get supported... not you.

We won't be paying multiple executives' salaries who are beholden to shareholders will we?

You really don't get the fact that executive pay will still happen because the same people will be in charge. Stop believing the propaganda on both sides and use your common sense. Stop being jealous or hateful of others success. Focus on the fact that either way they stay in business and, in fact, will become bigger monopolies. Everything you hate about them will be multiplied by 10 the moment we go to a single payer system. The only difference is that politicians will pick the winners based instead of a competitive market.

Presently, no. If you find your insurance company is paying their CEO more than you think they should, you can cancel your policy and go elsewhere. Ain't freedom grand?

But if Obama gets the single-payer system he wants (i.e. govt-run health insurance), then you will no longer have that freedom. You will pay to the govt, and THEY will decide what insurance companies get supported... not you.

Nicely put!

You really don't get the fact that executive pay will still happen because the same people will be in charge. Stop believing the propaganda on both sides and use your common sense. Stop being jealous or hateful of others success. Focus on the fact that either way they stay in business and, in fact, will become bigger monopolies. Everything you hate about them will be multiplied by 10 the moment we go to a single payer system. The only difference is that politicians will pick the winners based instead of a competitive market.

Stop being hateful of others' success?

I don't see people who are responsible for delivering health care beholden to stock holders over their customers as successful when the profit motive take precedent. Really $5 billion in profits isn't enough when you can make $10 billion.

Insurance companies take their cut right off the top of premiums. They have no interest in health care cost being reigned in because that will hurt THEIR GROWTH.

I really trust an insurance executive to give you an unbiased analysis. Let's ask Ahmadinejad if Iran is developing nuclear technology for peaceful purposes alone.

However, if the analysis were to be true, I'd welcome it. It'll make this corrupt health care system burn to the ground all the more quicker.

I would respect Righties economic analysis a lot more if they would actually go all the way and apply it to people. We don't want a bureaucrats putting a cost on life (even though insurance companies do that now), but we have to be wary of others' "success", by not questioning their profits. Why not just admit some people have to be denied care so health insurance companies can continue to grow for their shareholders? Because that would clarify "success".

A system that is built purely on placing profits as the paramount concern is as soulless as any communist regime.

Freedom to go to another company that pays its CEO for the company's stock growth as opposed to servicing its customers?

Freedom indeed.

I just did a tour of the country looking for potential Independent Congressional candidates.

One highlight of my trip was a discussing with an Executive of a health insurance claims processing company. When I asked him how bad would a single payer, government run, system hurt his business; he just laughed. He educated me on the fact that his company and most of the big insurance companies would benefit from a single payer system.
Did he kinda look like THIS????

3287886.jpg

Stop being hateful of others' success?

I don't see people who are responsible for delivering health care beholden to stock holders over their customers as successful when the profit motive take precedent. Really $5 billion in profits isn't enough when you can make $10 billion.

Insurance companies take their cut right off the top of premiums. They have no interest in health care cost being reigned in because that will hurt THEIR GROWTH.

I really trust an insurance executive to give you an unbiased analysis. Let's ask Ahmadinejad if Iran is developing nuclear technology for peaceful purposes alone.

However, if the analysis were to be true, I'd welcome it. It'll make this corrupt health care system burn to the ground all the more quicker.

I would respect Righties economic analysis a lot more if they would actually go all the way and apply it to people. We don't want a bureaucrats putting a cost on life (even though insurance companies do that now), but we have to be wary of others' "success", by not questioning their profits. Why not just admit some people have to be denied care so health insurance companies can continue to grow for their shareholders? Because that would clarify "success".

A system that is built purely on placing profits as the paramount concern is as soulless as any communist regime.

Do you actually read the posts or do you just wait for an opportunity to say whatever comes to your mind.

The point is that the biggest Health Insurance companies will benefit form a single payer system. They will make more profits. You are also showing your ignorance of corporate finance. What part of lowering healthcare costs wouldn't benefit the bottom line of the insurers.

I'm tiring of everyone trying to find some evil force to blame for their problems. Pres. Obama isn't trying to take over the world and make us all wear khaki jumpsuits and red sashes, and corporations/CEO's aren't stealing food from your children's mouths.

Do you actually read the posts or do you just wait for an opportunity to say whatever comes to your mind.

The point is that the biggest Health Insurance companies will benefit form a single payer system. They will make more profits. You are also showing your ignorance of corporate finance. What part of lowering healthcare costs wouldn't benefit the bottom line of the insurers.

I'm tiring of everyone trying to find some evil force to blame for their problems. Pres. Obama isn't trying to take over the world and make us all wear khaki jumpsuits and red sashes, and corporations/CEO's aren't stealing food from your children's mouths.

If health insurance companies wanted lower health care prices, then there would be lower health care prices. THEY control the payouts. With higher health care costs, come higher premiums. Health insurance take their money of the top.

Are you under some impression that the health insurance companies are going to show moderation while cost spiral out of control as they are now? Sure they will. Just like the financial sector did with the housing market. Tell me just how is the housing market these days? And who bailed out those financial institutions again? Oh right, the taxpayers with children.

Economics says the health insurance companies will SQUEEZE as much profit as they can until they are forced to change.

If health insurance companies wanted lower health care prices, then there would be lower health care prices. THEY control the payouts. With higher health care costs, come higher premiums. Health insurance take their money of the top.
From April '96, to March '02, I was doing contract-work and had to buy my (own) health-insurance.

In '96, my monthly-premium was $245. By 2000, it had gone-up to $275/mo. In 2000, it started increasing by $100/mo. In 2002, it had gone-up (totally) to $575 per month!!! (..for 1-person; myself)

I started doing some research, and found that....during the '90s, health-insurance companies were doing GREAT, with their investments! In 2000, when the economy started back-sliding, investors (in health-insurance) were wondering why they were no-longer seeing the same dividends (when they had to know the entire Market was "down"). This is when the health-insurance companies started workin' their "magic"; convincing everyone the "big problem" was lawyers & unnecessary-lawsuits....as-well-as boosting monthly-premiums...to make-sure they didn't lose investors!!!

*****​

WENDELL POTTER: They spend about 20 cents of every premium dollar on overhead, which is administrative expense or profit. So they don't want to compete against a more efficient competitor.

BILL MOYERS: You told Congress that the industry has hijacked our health care system and turned it into a giant ATM for Wall Street. You said, "I saw how they confuse their customers and dump the sick, all so they can satisfy their Wall Street investors." How do they satisfy their Wall Street investors?

WENDELL POTTER: Well, there's a measure of profitability that investors look to, and it's called a medical loss ratio. And it's unique to the health insurance industry. And by medical loss ratio, I mean that it's a measure that tells investors or anyone else how much of a premium dollar is used by the insurance company to actually pay medical claims. And that has been shrinking, over the years, since the industry's been dominated by, or become dominated by for-profit insurance companies. Back in the early '90s, or back during the time that the Clinton plan was being debated, 95 cents out of every dollar was sent, you know, on average was used by the insurance companies to pay claims. Last year, it was down to just slightly above 80 percent.

So, investors want that to keep shrinking. And if they see that an insurance company has not done what they think meets their expectations with the medical loss ratio, they'll punish them. Investors will start leaving in droves.

I've seen a company stock price fall 20 percent in a single day, when it did not meet Wall Street's expectations with this medical loss ratio.

For example, if one company's medical loss ratio was 77.9 percent, for example, in one quarter, and the next quarter, it was 78.2 percent. It seems like a small movement. But investors will think that's ridiculous. And it's horrible.

BILL MOYERS: That they're spending more money for medical claims.

WENDELL POTTER: Yeah.

BILL MOYERS: And less money on profits?

WENDELL POTTER: Exactly. And they think that this company has not done a good job of managing medical expenses. It has not denied enough claims. It has not kicked enough people off the rolls. And that's what-- that is what happens, what these companies do, to make sure that they satisfy Wall Street's expectations with the medical loss ratio.

BILL MOYERS: And they do what to make sure that they keep diminishing the medical loss ratio?

WENDELL POTTER: Rescission is one thing. Denying claims is another. Being, you know, really careful as they review claims, particularly for things like liver transplants, to make sure, from their point of view, that it really is medically necessary and not experimental. That's one thing. And that was that issue in the Nataline Sarkisyan case.

But another way is to purge employer accounts, that-- if a small business has an employee, for example, who suddenly has have a lot of treatment, or is in an accident. And medical bills are piling up, and this employee is filing claims with the insurance company. That'll be noticed by the insurance company.

And when that business is up for renewal, and it typically is up, once a year, up for renewal, the underwriters will look at that. And they'll say, "We need to jack up the rates here, because the experience was," when I say experience, the claim experience, the number of claims filed was more than we anticipated. So we need to jack up the price. Jack up the premiums. Often they'll do this, knowing that the employer will have no alternative but to leave. And that happens all the time.

They'll resort to things like the rescissions that we saw earlier. Or dumping, actually dumping employer groups from the rolls. So the more of my premium that goes to my health claims, pays for my medical coverage, the less money the company makes.

BILL MOYERS: So, the more of my premium that goes to my health claims, pays for my medical coverage, the less money the company makes.

WENDELL POTTER: That's right. Exactly right.

BILL MOYERS: So they want to reverse that. They don't want my premium to go for my health care, right?

WENDELL POTTER: Exactly right. They--

BILL MOYERS: Where does it go?

WENDELL POTTER: Well, a big chunk of it goes into shareholders' pockets. It's returned to them as part of the investment to them. It goes into the exorbitant salaries that a lot of the executives make. It goes into paying sales, marketing, and underwriting expenses. So a lot of it goes to pay those kinds of administrative functions. Overhead.

BILL MOYERS: When a member of Congress asked the three executives who appeared before the committee-- if they would end the practice of canceling policies for sick enrollees, they refused. Why did they refuse?

WENDELL POTTER: Well, they were talking to Wall Street at that moment. They were saying that because-- I guess they might have to spend some additional dollars to be more vigilant, to make sure that they were not rescinding a policy inappropriately. It makes no sense. The only reason they would have said that is to cover themselves. And to send a signal to Wall Street that you know, we're going to continue business as usual here.

You know, I've been around a long time. And I have to say, I just don't get this. I just don't understand how the corporations can oppose a plan that gives the unhealthy people a chance to be covered. And they don't want to do it themselves.

Well, keep in mind, what they want to do is enhance their profits. Enhance shareholder value. That's number one. And the way that the business that they're in is health care, certainly. But their primary motivation is to reward their shareholders.

Most of the shareholders are large, institutional investors and hedge funds. Hedge fund managers are the ones who look at the stock. And investors for large organizations. It's not mom and pop investor."

Potter is awesome. I know people who have run into the employee purge. Their companies had to switch from the plan that was being used to a plan that charged higher premiums for less coverage.

Werbung:

Are you under some impression that the health insurance companies are going to show moderation while cost spiral out of control as they are now? Sure they will. Just like the financial sector did with the housing market. Tell me just how is the housing market these days? And who bailed out those financial institutions again? Oh right, the taxpayers with children.

Economics says the health insurance companies will SQUEEZE as much profit as they can until they are forced to change.

Last try...the point I'm making is that a single payer plan will not cut overhead. Overhead was created by the intense regulations such as HIMSS. The technology in healthcare has expanded and people are living longer. What's the surprise that costs have gone up.

My point is that the business model will change for the insurance companies, but they will benefit and thrive from a single payer plan.

Back