Most Influential Person of Twentieth Century?

Werbung:
20 million new jobs
lowest unemployment rate
highest home ownership rate in history
lowest crime rate
reduced welfare rolls
first balanced budget in decades
affordable college loans
affordable veteran's benefits

Should I continue?

I will leave with this tidbit of information. In 2000, before being elected Vice-President, Dick Cheney made the following statement: "A commander-in-chief leads the military built by those who came before him. There is little that he or his defense secretary can do to improve the force they have to deploy. It is all the work of previous administrations. Decisions made today shape the forces of tomorrow.....when that first (Persian Gulf) war ended, the first thing I did was to place a call to California and say thank you President Ronald Reagan...."

Hmmm, I think Bill Clinton is still waiting for his phone call.

Arch.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

He was willing to try ANYTHING to help the American people out; damn the consequences.

Arch.

FDR was a good pres.

Can't deny that.

You sure as hell can, especially if you're a Libertarian like our friend Truth. I'm surprised he hasn't jumped all over you for this yet but maybe he's just getting a bit tired of it all.

Bottom line: WWII saved America from the Great Depression, not Franklin Delano Roosevelt. And Arch, that whole "damn the consequences" thing was old after the first time you used it, which, in the order of your posts on FDR that I've read today, was about eighteen or so times ago. I'd be mildly interested in learning where you heard that phrase from; it slightly resembles Admiral David Farragut's quote, "Damn the torpedoes! Full steam ahead!" from the Civil War, but somehow I doubt that this was a reference you were trying to make.

Haha, that's just funny. Tell me three positive things that Clinton did. BTW -- nice spelling of "coolest".

The topic is "influential," not "positive." That said I agree: Clinton wasn't exactly an Earth-shatteringly important man. Not in the way that, say Josef Stalin was. Negative as his impact on the world was it was unshakingly a huge one; he was at the helm of the Soviet militarism that more or less created the Cold War, overseeing the transition of the Soviet Union from a benign, undernourished wasteland to a leader in global politics (read: global scare tactics).

Anyone feel like disagreeing...?

The topic is "influential," not "positive." That said I agree: Clinton wasn't exactly an Earth-shatteringly important man. Not in the way that, say Josef Stalin was. Negative as his impact on the world was it was unshakingly a huge one; he was at the helm of the Soviet militarism that more or less created the Cold War, overseeing the transition of the Soviet Union from a benign, undernourished wasteland to a leader in global politics (read: global scare tactics).

Anyone feel like disagreeing...?

It's hard to disagree with someone who's position is spot on...

I'd say unfortunately either Hitler or Stalin. I wish Eisenhower was more influence, he was a real president and if more had followed his example, the world would be a much better place.

I'd say unfortunately either Hitler or Stalin. I wish Eisenhower was more influence, he was a real president and if more had followed his example, the world would be a much better place.

Yeah, 'cause if you ever need someone to ignore Joseph McCarthy, there's no better man than Dwight D. Eisenhower.

Yeah, 'cause if you ever need someone to ignore Joseph McCarthy, there's no better man than Dwight D. Eisenhower.

That's not honest I would shoulder more of the blame for McCarthyism on Truman.

It was ultimately McCarthy's accusations of Ike and the Army that got him censured.

Werbung:
That's not honest I would shoulder more of the blame for McCarthyism on Truman.
Marshall and Truman most certainly caused McCarthyism to become a possibility. Eisenhower just ignored him.

It was ultimately McCarthy's accusations of Ike and the Army that got him censured.

So what does that say? Eisenhower got upset when McCarthy started picking on him, but while he was picking on the people of the United States it was okay? Eisenhower just isn't my favorite president.

Back