Obama asks NY Governor not to seek re-election

XCALIDEM

Obama administration asks Gov. Paterson not to seek reelection in 2010
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2009/09/19/2009-09-19_obama_administration_.html

WOW! HE LOOKS MORE LIKE A DICTATOR EACH DAY!!!!

By Elizabeth Benjamin and Kenneth Lovett
Daily News Albany Bureau

Sunday, September 20th 2009, 12:39 AM

Bedder/Getty, Miller for News
President Obama does not want Gov. Paterson to seek reelection.
Take our PollBam and Dave
Does the Obama administration have a right to ask Gov. Paterson not to run in 2010?

Yes. President Obama is just looking out for the Democratic party.
No. President Obama should stay out of state politics.

Related News
Articles
State attempts to put brakes on chiefs' cars to save cash
Paterson supports Thompson for Mayor
Paterson freezes state contracts with ACORN
Paterson floats pulling state cars from agency heads
ALBANY - In a stunning request, the Obama administration has made it clear to poll-challenged Gov. Paterson that the White House would prefer he not seek election to a full four-year term next year.

The Obama administration sent the message through White House political affairs director Patrick Gaspard, who met with the governor at his campaign headquarters for nearly two hours last Monday, according to a source with knowledge of the conversation.

"They expressed concern about his chances about being reelected and the likelihood his presence in the race made it more likely that Rudy Giuliani would enter the contest," the source said. "The preference is that he not run. That message was conveyed directly."

The bombshell meeting between Paterson and Gaspard occurred the same day President Obama was in New York City to deliver a Wall Street address - a speech Paterson was not invited to, according to several sources.

The White House's preference he not run was reiterated to Paterson during a Friday evening dinner with Rep. Greg Meeks, a Queens Democrat.

Paterson, according to the first source, raised his Monday conversation with Gaspard during the dinner, which also included a couple of state senators.

Meeks, the source said, told Paterson that he had spoken in Washington, D.C., with Obama chief of staff Rahm Emanuel, who he said doesn't think a Paterson run is "tenable."

The message to Paterson not only represents the White House trying to heavily influence a top state race, but also is a case of the first black president pressuring New York's first black governor to step aside.

Paterson's top aide, secretary Larry Schwartz, responded "no" in a response to an email if he would comment on the issue.

One Paterson aide said the governor is "certainly planning to run - at this moment."

A Paterson decision to withdraw from the race would clear the way for Attorney General Andrew Cuomo, who many Democrats and union leaders would prefer to be the candidate.

At the very least, by letting Paterson know he will not have the backing of the White House, and the world's most important black leader, Obama's easing pressure on Cuomo.

The attorney general has worked hard to recover from his failed 2002 Democratic gubernatorial primary against H. Carl McCall, who was seeking to become the first black governor.

Those close to Paterson were tightlipped last night.

Paterson's top aide, secretary Larry Schwartz, responded "no" in a response to an email if he would comment on the issue.

On Thursday, four days after the meeting with Gaspard, Paterson named Richard Fife as his campaign manager, signaling to many his intention to run next year.

Fife, a veteran New York political operative, was a volunteer New York adviser for the Obama campaign and was an Obama delegate to the Democratic National Convention.

Paterson has irked the White House several times.

The governor, despite the historic nature of the campaign, initially endorsed homestate Sen. Hillary Clinton for president over Obama.

Earlier this year, while it was clear Obama preferred that Paterson select Caroline Kennedy to replace Clinton in the Senate, Paterson picked little-known upstate Rep. Kirsten Gillibrand.

His aides then trashed Kennedy publicly after she withdrew her name for consideration.

More recently, Paterson went on a rant that racial bias was behind his negative coverage and claimed that Obama was the next target, a charge refuted by Obama's press secretary.

Paterson took office in March 2008 after Eliot Spitzer resigned amid a prostitution scandal. While his poll numbers were high at first, they began plummeting over his handling of the budget, which dramatically raised spending and taxes and fees, and his handling of the U.S. Senate appointment.

As Paterson has failed to resurrect his dismal poll numbers - 70% of New Yorkers, including 65% of Democrats said in a Marist poll last week that they don't want him to run next year - momentum has been building for him to step aside.

Democratic lawmakers and labor union leaders have openly challenged and mocked him, with many saying they fear his weak standing could hurt other Democrats' chances at the polls next year.

All the while, Cuomo has gone about his business while noticeably refusing to rule out a run next year.

With Glenn Blain

Previous Page 12 Next Page
Related TopicsState Politics
Barack Obama
World Politics
U.S. Politics
Politics
David Paterson
The White House
U.S. State Government
U.S. Government
Jobs and Labor
Labor Unions
Business

Werbung:
From the OP:

Paterson took office in March 2008 after Eliot Spitzer resigned amid a prostitution scandal. While his poll numbers were high at first, they began plummeting over his handling of the budget, which dramatically raised spending and taxes and fees, and his handling of the U.S. Senate appointment.

As Paterson has failed to resurrect his dismal poll numbers - 70% of New Yorkers, including 65% of Democrats said in a Marist poll last week that they don't want him to run next year - momentum has been building for him to step aside.

It sounds to me like Obama would like to see a Democratic candidate who has a chance of winning.

Which makes Obama not a dictator, but a partisan Democrat who wants his party to win.

Which, in turn, makes him different from other politicians, how again?

From the OP:

It sounds to me like Obama would like to see a Democratic candidate who has a chance of winning.

Which makes Obama not a dictator, but a partisan Democrat who wants his party to win.

I guess you must vow to Obama and do as he says, otherwise you'll be on his bad side....

Earlier this year, while it was clear Obama preferred that Paterson select Caroline Kennedy to replace Clinton in the Senate, Paterson picked little-known upstate Rep. Kirsten Gillibrand.
His aides then trashed Kennedy publicly after she withdrew her name for consideration.

More recently, Paterson went on a rant that racial bias was behind his negative coverage and claimed that Obama was the next target, a charge refuted by Obama's press secretary.

Harry Reid has little to no chance of winning his seat back. He has been down in the polls for over 6 months. Yet obama defends and supports him.
Todays AP says his approval ratings were at 33 percent (as of this morning)

I dont see obama telling him to step down. NY Gov can not possibly suck more than dingy harry! but he was told to step down and told he would get no white house support for his election.

Harry Reid has little to no chance of winning his seat back. He has been down in the polls for over 6 months. Yet obama defends and supports him.
Todays AP says his approval ratings were at 33 percent (as of this morning)

I dont see obama telling him to step down. NY Gov can not possibly suck more than dingy harry! but he was told to step down and told he would get no white house support for his election.

Interesting. So, maybe there is more here than just wanting the Democrats to win. What do you think it is?

Do you know who is running against Reid?

Interesting. So, maybe there is more here than just wanting the Democrats to win. What do you think it is?

Do you know who is running against Reid?

3 different republicans and all are ahead of him :)

I dont know what it was about the NY gov that obama didnt like but he did not and does not like him.

obama stuck by dodd too even when his numbers tanked. I think dodd left because he knew he could not win but has some serious issues with ethics violations that he wont want to fight in the senate and fight for his seat at the same time. I think that obama will hire dodd in some way in his administration. When harry goes down, he will also get some kind of job.

NY Gov will not, But I have no idea why obama does not like him. I thought it was because he picked the upstate dem to replace Hillary and perhaps obama did not like her. But since then obama said he is backing her so that isnt why he doesnt like NY Gov... eventually we will find out why but for now, I have no idea.

3 different republicans and all are ahead of him :)

I dont know what it was about the NY gov that obama didnt like but he did not and does not like him.

obama stuck by dodd too even when his numbers tanked. I think dodd left because he knew he could not win but has some serious issues with ethics violations that he wont want to fight in the senate and fight for his seat at the same time. I think that obama will hire dodd in some way in his administration. When harry goes down, he will also get some kind of job.

NY Gov will not, But I have no idea why obama does not like him. I thought it was because he picked the upstate dem to replace Hillary and perhaps obama did not like her. But since then obama said he is backing her so that isnt why he doesnt like NY Gov... eventually we will find out why but for now, I have no idea.

It must not be partisanship, then, but personal. It sounds like Reid is history, anyway, so spending political capital on him would not seem to be the thing to do from a purely partisan standpoint.

I suppose we'll find out why he doesn't like the NY governor eventually.

Werbung:
It must not be partisanship, then, but personal. It sounds like Reid is history, anyway, so spending political capital on him would not seem to be the thing to do from a purely partisan standpoint.

I suppose we'll find out why he doesn't like the NY governor eventually.

I wil be happy when harry loses his seat but not even close to how happy I was when tom daschle lost his.

I am happy dodd is out too.

Now if we can just get rid of barbara boxer (who I loathe) and Patty Murray, the mom in tennis shoes who I have wanted out for far too long.

I will be happy

obama may very well be the best thing after all if it gets these rats off the ship :)

Back