Obama's Exit Strategy

GenSeneca

Democrats made a great deal out of the fact that we went to Iraq without an exit strategy.... Obama has made several statements, some of which conflicted with his others, but I think his plan strives to get us out of Iraq in 16 months - regardless of conditions on the ground. But that isn't what I'm most interested in...

What I want to know is this:

What is Obama's Exit Strategy for Afghanistan?

Have Obama and the Democrats made their timetable for withdraw in that war public yet? If not... Why not? Shouldn't they set a timetable there, just like they want in Iraq, so the Afgans can "stand up" (chuck) as we stand down and let them secure their own country?

Werbung:
In some ways, the Taliban are no fools - they'll understand the golden opportunity when obama takes over. My guess is there will be a major offensive by them, with IFs all over the world emboldened by the change of presidents, and likewise our allies in the middle east will see the abandonment of iraq, and ask themselves why they should depend on an ally who cuts and runs. The exit strategy will probably be a rout of US and allied forces out of the country.

GREAT question Gen, and they will NEVER give you an answer and they will suggest you are bitter for even asking the quesiton.

Those standards ONLY apply to republicans by democrats.

Unlike them no one on the right will use our troops as some tool to hurt the other side by publicly demanding they tell us something as stupid as an exit str.

You are so smart, you need to be in politics in DC The republicans there could really use someone like you :)

GREAT question Gen, and they will NEVER give you an answer and they will suggest you are bitter for even asking the quesiton.

Unlike them no one on the right will use our troops as some tool to hurt the other side by publicly demanding they tell us something as stupid as an exit str.

You are so smart, you need to be in politics in DC The republicans there could really use someone like you :)

The answer will probably come back that Afghanistan is Bush's war. He went in with no exit strategy, and once we get out of Iraq we can focus on stability in Afghanistan that will allow for an exit strategy.

It will also most likely be argued that the exit strategy will be to bring stability and share the load with NATO and turn it into something like a UN peacekeeping mission, which takes the burden off the US.

Not that I really buy into this, but just sitting here thinking off the cuff this is the response I came up with for you.

The answer will probably come back that Afghanistan is Bush's war. He went in with no exit strategy, and once we get out of Iraq we can focus on stability in Afghanistan that will allow for an exit strategy.

It will also most likely be argued that the exit strategy will be to bring stability and share the load with NATO and turn it into something like a UN peacekeeping mission, which takes the burden off the US.

Not that I really buy into this, but just sitting here thinking off the cuff this is the response I came up with for you.

You are probably right but if they want to up things by sending in more troops and starting a new strategy then they should have an exit strategy. at least they should by the standards they tried to hold bush to.

If he had one I would not want him to tell us about it, just like if bush had one I wouldnt want him to tell us about it.

but does anyone ever even have one? Did we have one in WW1 or WW2 or any war. I would love to treat obama like he treated bush , but it would be horrible to do because its only our troops that suffer

Democrats made a great deal out of the fact that we went to Iraq without an exit strategy.... Obama has made several statements, some of which conflicted with his others, but I think his plan strives to get us out of Iraq in 16 months - regardless of conditions on the ground. But that isn't what I'm most interested in...

Have Obama and the Democrats made their timetable for withdraw in that war public yet? If not... Why not? Shouldn't they set a timetable there, just like they want in Iraq, so the Afgans can "stand up" (chuck) as we stand down and let them secure their own country?

First they are no the same, I hate to point that out.

Iraq is done , its over, its as close to a "win" as we can get and all out troops are doing is standing in the way of letting Iraq move on to taking care of itself, and providing a source of hate for those who want us out of there nation still. Its just a really simple fact, that Iraq's' government is pushing for the Obama plan basically, and wants our troops out ( with of course some staying for training only, but not offensive reasons. Also Obama has suggested possibly a very small force just for doing some counter terror operations. This deal of course would be something that needs to be worked out with Iraq's leaders, and is not something you can just say , this is how it will be, and they have to deal...if it is then we are telling the people of Iraq, we are in control and not there own leaders.

Afghanistan...is not a war we have won, and we still need to move troops in and destroy the Taliban, and most likely push into Pakistan ( it seems unlikely they will do the work needed) So no one is calling for a date. You may recall Bush declared victory in Iraq years ago, of course he was a idiot when he did that, but fact is we where sitting there watching out troops in the middle of a blood feud of Sunni vs Shia.. in Afghanistan basically the US verst the Taliban who is still in control and is clearly our enemy ( the Sunni and Shia where not our enemies in Iraq) It would be dumb to say we are setting a date, and at the same time saying we need more troops there. When the Taliban is crushed, or Afghanistan is able to fend them off and Al Quida itself , we can get out. Iraq had Elections , A army, and major sources of revenue and had something we could leave behind . Afghanistan we know will fall apart if we leave.

Iraq was screwed up from the start because it was based on lies, bad Intel, and horrible planning. Afghanistan failed because we did not put the troops in needed ( again) and because we took out eyes off the ball and focused on Iraq ( yet one more reason I said Iraq was a bad idea from the start)

And keep in mind I was in full support of the McCain Surge, and that along with other political moves ( that had a even greater Effect I believe) its time we can start moving out .

You think wrong, his plan very clearly made room for changes do to conditions on the ground, he stated that about as many times as you could think when asked.

In some ways, the Taliban are no fools - they'll understand the golden opportunity when obama takes over. My guess is there will be a major offensive by them, with IFs all over the world emboldened by the change of presidents, and likewise our allies in the middle east will see the abandonment of iraq, and ask themselves why they should depend on an ally who cuts and runs. The exit strategy will probably be a rout of US and allied forces out of the country.

thank you for your great insight....arg...

Obama the one saying for years send more troops to Afganistan...is going to be softer?

Bush the man in charge who has been in charge while the Taliban has gained and gained power back again...you never ever attacked for that I saw. funny, its like the party lable means more then the facts or something....

And of course there will be a major offensive, oddly this spring, you know why? Becuse they always do...and you will blame Obama...even though it happens evry single year, thats how it works in Afganistan...major offensive in the spring. And I have some shocking info for you, it will not be any bigger then if Bush or McCain was in charge.

You added a great deal to this thread,..
Gen is about the only one of you who ever actually can have a real debate.

Bush never said a plan Bush never had a plan, Bush called setting a date a plan for Defeat ( and then later was talking to the Iraqi government and talking dates for moving troops out of Iraq....)

bush had a plan, and the plan changed as things on the ground changed.

you are correct he did not have an exit str. but it was the left who said he should have one

so I ask you, what is obamas since he thinks we should have them

Werbung:
You added a great deal to this thread,..
Gen is about the only one of you who ever actually can have a real debate.

I resent this.

We rarely have a real exit strategy when we act in the 3rd world. Coming off Iraq obviously things like the Weinburger Doctrine look more appealing, but it remains to be seen what that amounts to in terms of practical policy application.

I still maintain that openly running border raids into Pakistan is a mistake. If we must do it, fine (Bush is doing it now), but we need to stay quiet about it.

Back