Obesity and global warming

PLC1

Staff member
Should we attack both problems in the same way, as this article from the BBCsuggests?

Obesity 'requires climate plan'

Obesity needs to be tackled in the same way as climate change, a top nutritional scientist has said.

Hmmm... I'm picturing radio pundits claiming the obesity doesn't exist, and is in fact a liberal myth, while advertisers hawk products to solve the global obesity change. Is that really the best way?

I'm picturing the anti obesitists vs the obesitists fighting over the meaning of pictures like this one:

[URL=http://imageshack.us][/URL]

Does it really show obesity? Do we need to show that someone, somewhere else is actually getting thinner?

Is there a group of scientists somewhere claiming that people are actually too thin, and that the picture above shows normal bodies?

Is it really part of normal cycles?

Maybe the global obesity is really just a liberal myth designed to take away our freedom, and subject us to an authoritarian liberal regime.

What do you think?

Werbung:
Obesity in the states is not a myth while man-made global warming might be myth. Certainly we should investigate global warming more but the actions our politicians are suggesting as a response to global warming is akin to taxing cars because they make people fat. Taxing cars to cut down on obesity would be a great financial boon to government but it would not cut down on obesity. We have been taxing cigarettes for a long time now and while people should quit because it is expensive they just don't. The reality is that they quit when their doctor gives them a nice long lecture. OK I've gone out on a limb by drawing some wild comparisons but the main point I want to make is that politicians are concerned about the tax revenue they could earn much more than about global warming. And in time, when global warming has "gone away" the taxes won't.

Back