Patriotic education...is it necessary ?

zerorelations

In Poland, the Minister of Education is planning to introduce to schools special lessons of "Patriotic education".

Do you think that USA should do that as well?

Werbung:
In Poland, the Minister of Education is planning to introduce to schools special lessons of "Patriotic education".

Do you think that USA should do that as well?

Much as with journalism I believe that education should be as unbiased as possible. No, journalism today isn't unbiased - but it should be. Education isn't unbiased - but it should be.

I think kids should get the facts and be able to make up their own minds about things.

No I don't. The definition of patriotism is just as convoluted anymore as people trying to define what conservative or a liberal is. There is no right answer, only their answer.

If I don't want to listen to patriotism then I shouldn't have to, and school kids should be allowed to make up their own, easily moulded minds.

Not Patriotism Education. but Civics.

Civics is probably the most important class a kid can take. Except it sounds so freaking boring.

Very good point. I actually run a pseudo-class/activities group for young teenagers in Civics over the summer. I'm afraid its lost on a lot of them but a few of them every year show promise. It's worth it for those few. Okay, the paychecks are nice too.

Very good point. I actually run a pseudo-class/activities group for young teenagers in Civics over the summer. I'm afraid its lost on a lot of them but a few of them every year show promise. It's worth it for those few. Okay, the paychecks are nice too.

how much $?

:p

do you enjoy doing it?

Sounds to me like it is a reference to what we would teach as American Government in the USA...how the branches of government work (or don't work) together...the political history of the country...

Beau

I think it's either one way or the other. Lack of a nationalistic education evolves into anti-nationalistic education like we see so much in America today.

Thats absoloute ****. Let kids make up their own mind wether they love their country or not. Telling kids to love it isn't fair, letting them look at the country from a more neutral perspective at first can let them make a fair choice.

You should teach kids if they don't like their country, to change it for the good of the people.

Werbung:
Thats absoloute ****. Let kids make up their own mind wether they love their country or not. Telling kids to love it isn't fair, letting them look at the country from a more neutral perspective at first can let them make a fair choice.

You should teach kids if they don't like their country, to change it for the good of the people.

I agree. Patriotism for one's country will come naturally if one feels that his country is worth his/her devotion. But then again what I see some call patriotism here in the US is really a devotion to the government and it's leaders, not the principles of the Constitution and their fellow citizens.

Back