Prisoners re-enter society

dstery96

Hi everyone, I think that every person has his right to live in a society no matter even if he was a prisoner in his early life. Most of the prisoners are racial or ethnic minorities and have difficulty in re-entering the society as they are faced with poverty and this leads to crime for which they are re-arrested are convicted and re-incarcerated and this adds a burden on the government in respect of tax-payers. What are your views on this?

Werbung:
Hi everyone, I think that every person has his right to live in a society no matter even if he was a prisoner in his early life. Most of the prisoners are racial or ethnic minorities and have difficulty in re-entering the society as they are faced with poverty and this leads to crime for which they are re-arrested are convicted and re-incarcerated and this adds a burden on the government in respect of tax-payers. What are your views on this?

Within certain limits I agree with you, that's why my company hired a man recently out of prison, still on probation with no driver's license, to work for us even though it's not convenient to make the allowances necessary for his legal restrictions. People need a second chance, they need a hand-up, Jesus was very clear about this--but somehow it seems that a lot of mainstream Christians didn't get the message.

"...they are re-arrested are convicted and re-incarcerated and this adds a burden on the government in respect of tax-payers."
I'm not sure you should have put this line into your post, I can hear some of the more conservative folks here on the site saying things like, "That's why we have a death penalty!":)

I'm sorry, is someone arguing that we ought to put ex-cons onto some kind of floating garbage barge and send them out to sea now?

Whether or not and for how long someone should be in prison depends on the crimes that they have committed.

Keeping addicts in jail for drug crimes costs the taxpayers a fortune, and does little or no good.

Keeping rapists and murderers in prison makes a lot of sense from the point of view of public safety.

I used to be all for the death penalty before reading about how many people have been exonerated of crimes due to DNA testing, and before reading Grisham's The Innocent Man. I highly recommend it to anyone who thinks that he is safe from prosecution just because he hasn't committed a crime.

We have more prisoners per capita than any other nation on Earth. That fact alone says volumes about the need for reform of our prison system.

Non violent offenders, once they have paid their dues, should be given a second chance, but anyone giving them that chance is well advised to keep an eye on their wallet.

I'm sorry, is someone arguing that we ought to put ex-cons onto some kind of floating garbage barge and send them out to sea now?

Once upon a time the Brits thought it'd be a good idea to send them all to Australia, so why does a "floating garbage barge" sound any stranger?

I was attending a conference in DC put on by the USJustice Dept. One of the presenters talked about how our system for parole/probation really sets up many for failure and leads to a high re-arrest rate.

Now, I have little regard for those convicted of murder and sex crimes, but there are people who will leave prison today, that will be back in prison within 30 days, not because they re-offended, but because they are given parole conditions that the average person who has never been to jail couldnt follow through on.

Now I do realise that there are plenty of people who are guilty and are more or less habitual and career criminals. I also have little regard for them. But I think it important for everyone to understand that our current judicial system, from some of the laws on the books, to the trial process, through the punishment phase is flawed and it might be wise for us to take a look at some other countries to learn how thier systems are more efficient and fair.

To many people are in jail. In order to alleviate the struggle, we must simplify the law, and be more leniant with this disillusioned society. A leader needs to speak on behalf of all the people, including the criminals and the homeless. Too much neglect of those in need is a very omnious sign. Again, as hard as it is to get people to care, revolution is needed. Time to start planning, not relaying news. Time to start straying from traditions, for their allure no longer yeilds social order.

It is time for change, and in my opinion, unless the candiates address all the issues, in a compassionate manner, they will not suffice.

This is a very good issue to discuss about as it is concerned with the human race and deals with the real problems faced in the society. The Second Chance Act is taken in this way and hope that it brings a new dawn for the people. I believe you can also express your views on this on savetheleft which is good place to know your comments on such issues.

I used to be all for the death penalty before reading about how many people have been exonerated of crimes due to DNA testing, and before reading Grisham's The Innocent Man. I highly recommend it to anyone who thinks that he is safe from prosecution just because he hasn't committed a crime.

[Threadjack]

There's an interesting point PLC, now that we have DNA testing and can be certain to odds of millions to one about the identity of who the specmine belongs to are you once agin in favour of the death penalty

[/Threadjack]

One of the presenters talked about how our system for parole/probation really sets up many for failure and leads to a high re-arrest rate.

That's what I thought when I saw this article.....

Mar 14, 2008

http://www.keyt.com/news/local/16683716.html

Pedophile Making A Statement At Shopping Center

Shoppers at the strip mall on the corner of Agoura Rd at Village Glen in Thousand Oaks are in for a surprise not many of them are expecting. A recently released registered sex offender, Kevin Perry, has been seen panhandling in the parking lot. But what has patrons concerned is not the cup of change he carries but the sign he holds up which, reads "$1 to talk to a real life pedophile: Ask me anything!' Concerned shoppers have notified the Thousand Oaks Police Department who says they cannot arrest Perry until a crime is committed. However they do want the public to be aware of Perry's presence and keep an eye open for any suspected criminal activity he may be involved in.

Okay histrionics aside for a moment yeah he's Pedo yadda yadda BUT I assume this guys’ probably pretty desperate for a wee bit of cash (or just totally friggin bonkers) anyway I find this all very bazaar. Firstly if as the article states or infers he has just come out of prison is this kind of activity something that his parole allows? Secondly having done his time has he just been chucked out on the street and left to get on with life without any supervision or assistance? For example when he goes for a job I assume he is obliged to tell a prospective employer that he is a convicted sex offender and has his name on a sex offenders register? Thus his chances of being offered gainful employment are pretty limited consequently his chances of a functional re-integration into society are pretty well buggered! So what provisions are made (if any) to people like him whose chances are, well lets face it, pretty limited!

Is there for example no programmes of supervision or assistance offered for those coming out of prison? As dis-tasteful in the extreme as this is, should there not be some questions asked about why he is doing this?

Then again as I said he could be just plain cracked in which case put him out of society's misery with a 9mm in the back of the head!

ALSO...if anyone has any updated info on this I'd love to hear it!

Once upon a time the Brits thought it'd be a good idea to send them all to Australia, so why does a "floating garbage barge" sound any stranger?

:eek:

You're lucky there are few Australians here!

NO everyone does not have a right to live here. e.g. If they are violent criminals then they should be incarcerated. But everyone does have a right to be treated just like everyone else once they have served their time.

Does it matter what race they are? They should get a second chance no matter what race. Are most of them of some race because of unfairness in the system or because of difference in that culture. Probably both. Let's revamp the system and the culture.

If they are faced with poverty then most likely it is because they are not doing an honest days work.

Poverty does not lead to crime but bad morals does. If they are committing crimes yet again then they should be in jail yet again.

Yes having people in jail is a burden on society. Let's have more work programs so they can produce. And get job experience to add to their resume.

We have more prisoners per capita than any other nation on Earth. That fact alone says volumes about the need for reform of our prison system.

or about the prison systems of those other countries.
or about the prison systems of all of ours.
or about the moral fiber of our population.

Advertisors spend millions putting commercials on the air with the expectation that it will effect the actions of people.

Then we have a multitude of tv shows and movies where the line between good guy and bad guy is blurred and all alike solve their problems with a gun. Is it any wonder that we have high crime rates.

There is a show called Dexter in which the "hero" is a bona fide sociopathic serial killer who only kills those who deserve it.

When I was a kid if there were violence in a cartoon then it was a cat trying to kill a mouse. Today the cartoons show the good kids killing the other kids.

This list could go on and on. And that is not even discussing the level of violence. Hitchcock panned away as the gun shot - you were left to imagine what happened. It actually made the movie better. CSI dwells on making the images as graphic as possible.

I am not saying tht everything old is good and everything new is bad. I am saying we should be evolved enough to make what is good entertaining at the same time.

Werbung:
or about the prison systems of those other countries.
or about the prison systems of all of ours.
or about the moral fiber of our population.

Advertisors spend millions putting commercials on the air with the expectation that it will effect the actions of people.

Then we have a multitude of tv shows and movies where the line between good guy and bad guy is blurred and all alike solve their problems with a gun. Is it any wonder that we have high crime rates.

There is a show called Dexter in which the "hero" is a bona fide sociopathic serial killer who only kills those who deserve it.

When I was a kid if there were violence in a cartoon then it was a cat trying to kill a mouse. Today the cartoons show the good kids killing the other kids.

This list could go on and on. And that is not even discussing the level of violence. Hitchcock panned away as the gun shot - you were left to imagine what happened. It actually made the movie better. CSI dwells on making the images as graphic as possible.

I am not saying tht everything old is good and everything new is bad. I am saying we should be evolved enough to make what is good entertaining at the same time.

It tells us about the prison systems of other countries if their crime rate is higher than ours, yet they have fewer prisoners, yes. The countries of Western Europe have fewer prisoners, and less crime. I'm not sure just why that is, but it is.

You have brought up a rather chilling point when you mention the moral fiber of the population as a factor. I'm not going to say that you're wrong, but I hope you are.

As for TV, I was brought up on TV and movie westerns, in which the good guys fired twenty rounds from each of two six shooters while on a galloping horse, shooting the guns out of the hands of the bad guys. If the good guy was hit, it was a "flesh wound," but if the bad guy was hit, he died by falling backwards out of view. Totally unrealistic, unlike today's movies. Could the advent of realistically violent TV, movies, and video games be a part of it?

How about our appetite for drugs, both legal and illegal, could that be a factor?

Could it be t hat we're too quick to lock people up for non violent crimes?

Or is it a combination of all of the above?

Back