Question 4 for Christians

this makes me think about Islam and their plan to convert the world to Islam. Islam is not pluralistic and does not accept Christianity or Judasm as the right path. So Islam will fulfill God's will and kill all the non-muslims.
happens daily, there have been over 10,000 incidents of Islamic violence since 911... which are evil.

One-track mind much?

Werbung:
Is it possible that people can learn moral lessons without, eg, Dr. Mengele performing his experiments on jewish children?

Of course it is possible!

You may either employ your god-given rational faculties or you may simply accept revealed truth.

Two ways at arriving at a single immutable truth.

The thrust of my comment was that it is inexplicable that God would choose such unnecessarily harsh methods to impart a moral lesson.

The thrust of my comment was that it is inexplicable that God would choose such unnecessarily harsh methods to impart a moral lesson.

God didn't cause the holocaust -- men did.

And since men cannot seem to accept the principle of loving another as themselves, then the holocaust is simply a lesson bought for a very high price.

But if God created everything, then God created the concepts of "suffering" and "greater good" and set them diametrically opposed to each other. Don't you find that odd?

Everything exist as a duality. There is nothing odd about it.

Why does God permit evil in the world?

Why would God allow, eg, the Jewish or Armenian Holocausts? Shouldn't he have jumped in and stopped it?

So that you and I could do what we want to do. Even if that means doing bad things. Why? Because God is not the author of evil and denying all people the ability to be a part of a holocaust if we choose would be wrong. Right now there is a holocaust of a million million tiny injustices that we commit against each other every day. Are you not a part of that in any way? God created a perfect world and we all play our part in destroying it.

Why did it "have to happen"? God is all-powerful, and can stop anything He wants to. Why didn't He?

He stops all sorts of things. He permits all sorts of things. He says that He works all things (the ones He has permitted) for good. I suggest that He decides which things to permit based on how they will eventually work out.

I once heard a story (maybe someone knows it and can provide a link) about a man who was concerned that his son broke his leg. But then a war started and his son avoided the draft. But then... the story lists a chain of events that all alternately seem bad then good and then turn out to be good or bad.

Found it:

"One of the best stories about luck is an old Chinese tale about a farmer and his only son. One day, during a walk in the fields, a farmer found a wild horse. He was able to capture it and eventually train it. He felt very lucky. A few weeks later, his only son tried riding the horse but fell off it and broke a leg. The farmer said, "Oh, how unlucky, this horse brings misfortune.” A few days later, a band of soldiers came to his house and demanded that his son join the military service. But seeing that he had a broken leg, the soldiers decided to leave him alone. The farmer said, "Oh, how lucky I am because if you go to war and die, then there will be no one to inherit our family name." The horse and the incident, after all, brought them luck"

I think it was longer the first time I heard it - anyway...

Why does God permit evil in the world?

Why would God allow, eg, the Jewish or Armenian Holocausts? Shouldn't he have jumped in and stopped it?

I have read a few of the other responses and they did not seem to address so I will.

God does not "permit" evil. God gave everyone free will, and then people use this free will to enact evil on each other.

I think that the basic idea of this is supposed to be original sin (I think St. Augustine came up with this) that basically says we have fallen from God because we "ate" from the tree of knowledge like in the story of Genesis. That means we have the knowledge now that we have free will and people take it from there.

The Black Death killed a third of the population of medevil Europe. Was that evil? Does it have to be a product of the mind of man to be evil?

To mock the Spirit is the only unforgivable sin according to scripture. Is the mocking mouth of one man a greater evil than killing 6 million?

It's easy to ask unanswerable questions.

The Black Death killed a third of the population of medevil Europe. Was that evil? Does it have to be a product of the mind of man to be evil?

To mock the Spirit is the only unforgivable sin according to scripture. Is the mocking mouth of one man a greater evil than killing 6 million?

It's easy to ask unanswerable questions.

Good point - eg tsunamis aren't the result of people's free will. And remember, God created the earth. Sorry folks, but this doesn't hold together. People can believe anything they want, even if it's predicated on faith, but they can't offer internal self-contradictions.

Good point - eg tsunamis aren't the result of people's free will. And remember, God created the earth. Sorry folks, but this doesn't hold together. People can believe anything they want, even if it's predicated on faith, but they can't offer internal self-contradictions.

I thought the Big Bang created the Earth.

Werbung:
Back