The biblical conundrum

I hope that my post didn't offend you, Seneca. In re-reading it, I can see that it might be interpreted as reflecting my views about ALL atheists. That was not my intent. I've encountered quite a few atheists who've gained my respect for their courtesy towards those of faith, and equally important, for their very principled conduct in most all things. I believe that individuals can be highly moral without having a belief in God. If one views religions as "philosophies", I've known atheists who live what could easily be termed a "Christian lifestyle". Most all of those atheist friends are politically Conservative, with a few Libertarians thrown in for good measure. ;)

Regarding your second paragraph above, I believe that most of us on the right consider human courtesy, good manners, self-control, and personal responsibilty great attributes! Although "morality" is often thought of in religious terms, it's equally reflective of a persons behavior patterns. Leftists are typically self-centered, lack self control, have no sense of personal responsibility, and always seem to demand something for nothing. We on the right, are smarter and nicer! :)
Most of the Comments here are about evangtical Christianity as practcied in the USA Most Christians are either Catholic or Orthodox or at least Main Stream Churches like Anglican or Lutherian. They do not place their whole belief on a book although they respect it. It was only read by people in certain literate countries in the last 100 years. Most people hear the Bible through their Church. THey belive the Holy Spirit guides their church in interpretations.

Werbung:
I hope that my post didn't offend you, Seneca. In re-reading it, I can see that it might be interpreted as reflecting my views about ALL atheists. That was not my intent. I've encountered quite a few atheists who've gained my respect for their courtesy towards those of faith, and equally important, for their very principled conduct in most all things. I believe that individuals can be highly moral without having a belief in God. If one views religions as "philosophies", I've known atheists who live what could easily be termed a "Christian lifestyle". Most all of those atheist friends are politically Conservative, with a few Libertarians thrown in for good measure. ;)

Regarding your second paragraph above, I believe that most of us on the right consider human courtesy, good manners, self-control, and personal responsibilty great attributes! Although "morality" is often thought of in religious terms, it's equally reflective of a persons behavior patterns. Leftists are typically self-centered, lack self control, have no sense of personal responsibility, and always seem to demand something for nothing. We on the right, are smarter and nicer! :)
Most of the reference to Christianity here are to evangtical Protestants. Most Christians are either Catholic , Orthodox or belong to main stream churches. They respect the Bible but do not see it as the only sources of knowledge. They believe that the Holy Spirit guides their churches as to the correct interpretation.

Most of the Comments here are about evangtical Christianity as practcied in the USA Most Christians are either Catholic or Orthodox or at least Main Stream Churches like Anglican or Lutherian. They do not place their whole belief on a book although they respect it. It was only read by people in certain literate countries in the last 100 years. Most people hear the Bible through their Church. THey belive the Holy Spirit guides their church in interpretations.

Most of the reference to Christianity here are to evangtical Protestants. Most Christians are either Catholic , Orthodox or belong to main stream churches. They respect the Bible but do not see it as the only sources of knowledge. They believe that the Holy Spirit guides their churches as to the correct interpretation.

Orthodox what ? perhaps you mean Protestant ? there are sectss like Greek Orthodox I see that as closer to Catholic than Protestant though thats really doesn't do the difference justice.

so far as I know and barring books of the Bible that didnt make the final cut, there is no other scriptures. some people like to read the musings of others in an attempt to help them understand the Bible proper and ntil recently when the general public became literate, people were stuck listening to their pastor relay what was chosen to preach on. Yes the Holy Spirit will set you right (assuming you are open to it and ask) but its risky to put much stock in what someone hawking a book has to say. safer to stick to the source.

Am I reading your post right? You think most Christians in the USA are Catholic or Orthodox? I disagree. Over 50 percent are protestant and less than 25 percent are Catholic.

Here is a really good link talking about catholics leaving the church for non catholic christianity
http://ncronline.org/news/hidden-exodus-catholics-becoming-protestants

http://religions.pewforum.org/reports/

Am I reading your post right? You think most Christians in the USA are Catholic or Orthodox? I disagree. Over 50 percent are protestant and less than 25 percent are Catholic.

Here is a really good link talking about catholics leaving the church for non catholic christianity
http://ncronline.org/news/hidden-exodus-catholics-becoming-protestants

http://religions.pewforum.org/reports/
Pandora, I was not referring to the USA but the world as a whole. It is true that the USA is mainly a Protestant country and has a higher chruch attendance rate than most countries. However the major Christian religio0n in the world is still Catholic. Church attendance has fallen in most developed countries particular in Western Europe and Australia where attendance is about 16%. However in many Catholic countries it is higher than the USA. This includes Ireland,84%, The Philippines 68% Poland 55% and Porto Ric 52%

In Protestant countries like England and Australia, the main church in which people attend regularly is Catholic.

Of course the number falling from all churches in most developed countries is very high. I doubt the fall in Catholic attendance has increase protestant attendance in most countries.. This statement If they were a separate denomination, they would be the third-largest denomination in the United States, after Catholics and Baptists. One of three people who were raised Catholic no longer identifies as Catholic."" may be unique to the USA.
However even this quote seems to say that Catholics and Baptists are the largest denomination.
I do not think it matters what denomination you are. I just brought this up to show that not all Christians are not evangelical American

Pandora, I was not referring to the USA but the world as a whole. It is true that the USA is mainly a Protestant country and has a higher chruch attendance rate than most countries. However the major Christian religio0n in the world is still Catholic. Church attendance has fallen in most developed countries particular in Western Europe and Australia where attendance is about 16%. However in many Catholic countries it is higher than the USA. This includes Ireland,84%, The Philippines 68% Poland 55% and Porto Ric 52%

In Protestant countries like England and Australia, the main church in which people attend regularly is Catholic.

Of course the number falling from all churches in most developed countries is very high. I doubt the fall in Catholic attendance has increase protestant attendance in most countries.. This statement If they were a separate denomination, they would be the third-largest denomination in the United States, after Catholics and Baptists. One of three people who were raised Catholic no longer identifies as Catholic."" may be unique to the USA.
However even this quote seems to say that Catholics and Baptists are the largest denomination.
I do not think it matters what denomination you are. I just brought this up to show that not all Christians are not evangelical American

Ah ok, I agree with you that Catholics are the majority in other nations and also that it doesnt really matter what denomination you are :)

Ah ok, I agree with you that Catholics are the majority in other nations and also that it doesnt really matter what denomination you are :)
Pandora I think we can agree on that it dose not rally matter to God what denomination we belong to. The Vatican Council 2 said what is good in another religion comes from God. It is not only the Catholic Church that sees that not the whole truth is found in the Bible God reveal Himself gradually to mankind, An old Baptist hymn says "God has yet more light and truth to break forth from his Words. Of course this new revelation should not contradict the Bible. Most people think the Holy Spirit is still active today. Whether it is through his Church or by private revelation.Christ said to his disciples, "I have much more to say to you more than you can bear. But when the Spirit of truth ,comes he will guide you into truth".

Hmm yes, the Catholic Church, they can be relied on for some clarification of truths can't they

Like bread turning into the flesh of a man who died 2,000 years ago....which you should eat FFS.

Or imprisoning Copernicus for saying the earth goes round the sun

The RC church is a mafia bank run by a paedophile apologist nazi transvestite.

Francis Bacon was always getting in trouble with the English church for his heresies . They were always threatening hem, saying ,
"Bacon, you'll fry for this !"

Werbung:
Back