The US fiasco in Iraq

Castro

The situation in Iraq these days reminds me of how the Vietnam war ended. USA withdrew its forces. Thebrutal and corrupt regime in South Vietnam had no chance against the insurgents. It ended with a humiliating defeat in 1975.

In Iraq USA has choosen to support brutal, corrupt and divisive state leaders. The situation in Iraq is far worse than under Saddam. USAs invasion and later mismanagement of the country has caused a national disaster.

These days USA seems to being forced to cooperate with Iran in order to keep its puppet regime in Iraq floating. Still the future of this regime seems uncertain.

Let us hope the Iraqi people soon will get a government which prioritizes the welfare of the iraqi people and the national interests of Iraq.

Werbung:
The situation in Iraq these days reminds me of how the Vietnam war ended. USA withdrew its forces. Thebrutal and corrupt regime in South Vietnam had no chance against the insurgents. It ended with a humiliating defeat in 1975.

In Iraq USA has choosen to support brutal, corrupt and divisive state leaders. The situation in Iraq is far worse than under Saddam. USAs invasion and later mismanagement of the country has caused a national disaster.

These days USA seems to being forced to cooperate with Iran in order to keep its puppet regime in Iraq floating. Still the future of this regime seems uncertain.

Let us hope the Iraqi people soon will get a government which prioritizes the welfare of the iraqi people and the national interests of Iraq.

I suspect you need a history lesson -

Perhaps you should review the Paris Peace Accords of 1973. Like we've done in Iraq, and are doing in Afghanistan, we managed to turn military victories into political defeats. I'll save you the collection of military history, but suffice it to say, the US military was very successful. The Paris Peace Accords was, effectively, our attempt to turn over military activities to the South Vietnamese government. One key element of PPA was a commitment, by the US, to provide $500 million in military armament support over 5 years. When our Democratically controlled Congress refused to fund that, the agreement fell apart.

So, we had a military solution that was undone by politicians.

Now, because our incompetent administration was unable to successfully negotiate a Status of Forces Agreement, we have people dying, uproar, and upheaval as the military solution in Iraq is undone due to the failure of the current administration.

Your comment - "The situation in Iraq is far worse than under Saddam." - borders on, in a word, nonsense. Maybe you want to tell that to the families of 3 million people gassed by Saddam, or the 5.5 million people who died as a result of his frequent purges and usurpation of charitable supplies. Or, perhaps, you want to ask the Iraqi people who have seen their average annual income increase over 300% since the overthrow of Saddam. Maybe you should ask the 97% about voting for the first time in their lives, braving machine gun nests and terrorist threats to try to establish democracy in their country. Ask them how much worse off they are.

As for the teeth gnashing and hand wringing about how bad it is - democracy is an ugly process. It ain't easy - there are fits and starts - there are skirmishes and squabbles - but, in the end, the people will have their say.

Iraq or any other muslim country will always get a brutal corrupt government because islam demands it and its all they know. Nite there us little or no difference between Husein and clerically based governments. Its the mindset.

Your comment - "The situation in Iraq is far worse than under Saddam." - borders on, in a word, nonsense. Maybe you want to tell that to the families of 3 million people gassed by Saddam, or the 5.5 million people who died as a result of his frequent purges and usurpation of charitable supplies. Or, perhaps, you want to ask the Iraqi people who have seen their average annual income increase over 300% since the overthrow of Saddam. Maybe you should ask the 97% about voting for the first time in their lives, braving machine gun nests and terrorist threats to try to establish democracy in their country. Ask them how much worse off they are.

Bullshit on the income increase and bullshit on them being better off now, the OP was talking about Saddam preventing crap like what we're seeing now. If Saddam had been there the whole time there would be no ISIS in Iraq and you know it.

Which information do you get from US media? Some of you seem to know next to nothing about the Vietnam war and the situation in Iraq. Do you btw know that Saddam Hussein was a US ally until about 1990? USA sent lots of weapons to him during his war against Iran. They used him as a useful idiot. When the war was over, and Saddam did not manage to take Iran, USA cut their ties. Instead the attacked Iraq and bombed it daily from 1991 to 2003 when the new catastrofic invasion took place. China which soon will take over as the most powerful nation in the world, is far smarter than USA. They understand how destructive and economically disastrous such wars are. How many wars has USA been involved in since WW2?

Bullshit on the income increase and bullshit on them being better off now, the OP was talking about Saddam preventing crap like what we're seeing now. If Saddam had been there the whole time there would be no ISIS in Iraq and you know it.

So --- you're openly advocating for tyranny and dictatorship now?? Impressive --- shoulda just let him continue to kill about 3 million Iraqis a year --- they would have been so much better off. I suppose you're really excited about his humanitarian efforts like gassing Kurds or paying suicide bombers.

Amazing.

http://www.unicef.org/infobycountry/iraq_statistics.html

Feel free to study it - the Iraqi lifestyle has improved in virtually every area, from annual per capita income to life expectancy to adult literacy rate to infant birth survival rates. So, next time, call 'bullshit' on something you have some kind of clue about.

While I would not like a dictatorship , if I was a Sunni Iraqi I would not like a democracy where only the Shites have power

I not a Muslim. But as A catholic I did not like those Protestant states in the past where Catholic had no rights. I do not mind living in a Protestant country where they do not discriminate against Catholics. That what sunnies want.

Werbung:
I not a Muslim. But as A catholic I did not like those Protestant states in the past where Catholic had no rights. I do not mind living in a Protestant country where they do not discriminate against Catholics. That what sunnies want.
Who gives a s*it what the sunnis want ...... they will fall under a world wide caliphate like the rest of us!

Why do you think America was there to begin with ..... oh, nevermind!

Back