US Military Misinformation

TheWaffle

I wanted to see what people's general responses were to the various military publicity scandals of the past few years.

Last month it became clear that Pat Tillman's family had been deliberately lied to about his death and that his uniform and equipment had been disposed of before an investigation could be carried out.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6588611.stm

Also what do people think of the Private Lynch escapade and aftermath?

Werbung:
With the Pat Tillman deal, it somehow reminds me of the Nixon episode, in that the cover up was much worse than anything they could have hoped to cover up. If Pat Tillman was killed by friendly fire, it would have made him look like less of a hero in the media, and otherwise he would have been the perfect candidate as a face for the war. With the path that he took, he was someone we could all look up to, and the Pentagon wanted to use it as something to rally the nation around. If the truth about his death had been revealed it would have overshadowed everything and would have caused a lot of unnecessary problems. That being said, it was definately wrong for the Pentagon to try to make things look better than they were, but I guess I can understand why they did it.

can you then also dismiss them for what they did? being that you understand why they did it? Or are they to be held accountable? And if they lie at this level, can you imagine the lies that are perpetuated on the higher level?

can you then also dismiss them for what they did? being that you understand why they did it? Or are they to be held accountable? And if they lie at this level, can you imagine the lies that are perpetuated on the higher level?

are you kidding me?

they did what every american soldier would have wanted, to die a hero. And if that would help unify people against the true common enemy, it was what was needed to do.

It's what america needed at that time, when the war was still to be decided, before we won.

so you say the lies were acceptable for the overall good of the situation?

They turned a man's death in propaganda. Pat Tillman was a hero long before he died and their blatant misuse of his untimely demise is a serious mark of disrespect.

I agree with Dave on this one entirely. I understand why they did it and quite frankly it makes my blood boil. Mr. Universe, maybe people want to die heroes, but that's not what they did to Pat Tillman - they manipulated the public's view of his death so it would be closer to the classic stereotype of the "martyred hero." He died how he died and he did not need some government flunky lying to his friends and family and the fellow Americans he went overseas and sacrificed his life in effort to help protect. That's a blatant disrespect for the dead and for his surviving family.

This one pisses me off. There are certain lines that should not be crossed and our government crossed one here - big time.

are you kidding me?

they did what every american soldier would have wanted, to die a hero. And if that would help unify people against the true common enemy, it was what was needed to do.

It's what america needed at that time, when the war was still to be decided, before we won.

We won? Geez - I must have been asleep! Bring out the champaign - they boys are coming home!

:) :) :) :)

They are to be held accountable, but I'm not sure that this is worth the punishment that some are suggesting. The furthest I would go is removing someone from a command position or maybe even a reduction in one rank. I do not feel that this would prevent someone from leading in a different capacity, or performing their duties as an officer. I do feel that they should be reprimanded, and with something like that on their record, it will make it nearly impossible for them to look good in front of their next promotion board.

As for your last question, if one person in an organization lies, that it no indication of the character of the other people in the organization, especially when talking about an organization as diverse as the U.S. Army.

yes but certainly it was way more than One person that was perpetuating the Tillman scandal. as is coming to light now?

are you kidding me?

It's what America needed at that time, when the war was still to be decided, before we won.

What exactly made Tillman's sacrifice any greater than any of the other Americans who have died so far?

Or are you saying that because Tillman was a celebrity it was ok to use his death for propaganda purposes?

All I know, is that Tillman's family deserved the truth. Just because he died from friendly fire doesn't make his sacrifice any less of one, and I'm pretty sure every other American feels the same way.

What exactly made Tillman's sacrifice any greater than any of the other Americans who have died so far?

Because he turned down a multi-million dollar contract to enlist as a grunt in the USAr and this runs counter to the liberal cries that the military exploits the poor and only the lowest members of society make up our armed forces.

BAAAAAAhahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahhahahhahahahah
ahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahaha
ahahahahahahhahahahhah

ahahahhahahahahah

thats rich

Its not fair to say "the Army did it" in situations where people in the army are responsible. I continually hear libertarians screaming that the government is corrupt, whe the truth is that some people in the government are corrupt. You are trying to throw the baby out with the bath water here. Even if there were 100 officers tied to the Tillman scandal,(which there aren't) that still would not hold any weight to suggest anything about anyone outside of those men.

Werbung:
Back