What is a Free Country?

Marina_

Hallo, House of Politics!
One of your members has encouraged me to join you. I don't know what his name is here :) Thanks to him!

I'm a qualified linguist. I'm writing a Ph.D. thesis in the field of Cognitive Linguistics. My study is devoted to the concept of a Free Country. I'm conducting this study in order to find out how people in different countries understand this concept and what a "free country" means to them.

To study the concept I've composed a survey which includes several questions. The answers will help me to analyse and compare the American, the German and the Russian concept. You can imagine how hard it is to find foreign respondents?

If it is possible, could you please help me and answer this questionnaire? I'd be very thankful to everyone. I can't offer you money for this, but if I can be of any assistance to you in return, I'll be glad to help! And I will certainly mention house_of_politics forum in my thesis if I manage to get help here :)
I was happy to get 90 answers from German people, but for some reason it's very very hard to find this kind of assistance in the US. Please, help me!

1. Please write the first word (association) which occurs to you in connection with the phrase “A FREE COUNTRY”

2. Complete the phrase: A FREE COUNTRY – what is it like?
Please, give at least three ADJECTIVES.

3. Complete the phrase: A CITIZEN OF A FREE COUNTRY – what is he or she like?

4. Give the names of the countries which you associate with the notion of a FREE COUNTRY. Name at least 3 countries.

5. Give the names of famous personalities which are connected with the concept a “FREE COUNTRY” (at least 3)

6. Give your own definition to the notion of a “Free Country”. Complete the sentence: «A free country is ...» Any answer will be correct.

7. Imagine that a child has asked you a question: “What is a free country?” How would you answer?

8. You've arrived in a foreign country for the first time. By what features would you determine that this is a FREE COUNTRY?
Please, start answering the following way:

“I would think it to be a free country if there....”
1………………..
2………………..
3. ………………

9. Develop one of the following ideas or both.

A FREE COUNTRY IS GOOD. WHY? ……………………………….
A FREE COUNTRY IS BAD. WHY? .............

10. Please, describe your visual image or symbol of a FREE COUNTRY:
«I picture a free country this way: …………»

11. Please list some synonyms for the phrase “A FREE COUNTRY” (Synonyms are words or phrases with a similar meaning)

12. Please list some antonyms for the phrase “A FREE COUNTRY” (Antonyms are words or phrases with the opposite meaning)

Please, give the following information about yourself:

Age………
Occupation………
Location………

Werbung:
Hehehe so what do you think of chomsky both.. as a linguist and as a political activist?

I'll reply to this sometime in the near future... need to do some hw first though.

One of the things that keeps me from replying to this right away is that I think you would benefit more if people just pm-ed you witht their answers or something? That way they are not influenced by other posts... but w/e.. .just an idea

Is this your hw or something? :p

Well, here's my answer:

1. Please write the first word (association) which occurs to you in connection with the phrase “A FREE COUNTRY”

money

2. Complete the phrase: A FREE COUNTRY – what is it like?

rich, fair, just

3. Complete the phrase: A CITIZEN OF A FREE COUNTRY – what is he or she like?

greedy, opinionated, ungrateful

4. Give the names of the countries which you associate with the notion of a FREE COUNTRY. Name at least 3 countries.

USA, canada, united kingdom

5. Give the names of famous personalities which are connected with the concept a “FREE COUNTRY” (at least 3)

ungratefulness, talkative, opionated

6. Give your own definition to the notion of a “Free Country”. Complete the sentence: «A free country is ...» Any answer will be correct.

A free country is a country that allows its citizens to say what they want.

7. Imagine that a child has asked you a question: “What is a free country?” How would you answer?

Free country is the country where you can say that the government sucks, and cops don't arrest you.

8. You've arrived in a foreign country for the first time. By what features would you determine that this is a FREE COUNTRY?
Please, start answering the following way:

“I would think it to be a free country if there....”
1. Were rich people
2. were smart people
3. were opinionated people

9. Develop one of the following ideas or both.

A FREE COUNTRY IS GOOD. WHY? Because it allows room from progress.

10. Please, describe your visual image or symbol of a FREE COUNTRY:
«I picture a free country this way: …………»

11. Please list some synonyms for the phrase “A FREE COUNTRY” (Synonyms are words or phrases with a similar meaning)

12. Please list some antonyms for the phrase “A FREE COUNTRY” (Antonyms are words or phrases with the opposite meaning)

Please, give the following information about yourself:

Hehehe so what do you think of chomsky both.. as a linguist and as a political activist?

I'll reply to this sometime in the near future... need to do some hw first though.

The_Giver, hallo! :)
But for Chomsky linguists might have not felt the necessity of "forming" Cognitive Linguistics as an independent branch (it was originally supposed to solve the problems which structural linguistics couldn't solve). So, I'm be thankful to him :) As a linguist and a scientist :)

One of the things that keeps me from replying to this right away is that I think you would benefit more if people just pm-ed you witht their answers or something? That way they are not influenced by other posts... but w/e.. .just an idea

The Giver, it's reasonable. But it seems to me, it's more interesting for people to share their opinion with the forum community than simply answer a survey for a stranger :) Maybe I'm wrong. I'm happy to get answers in any form!

I'm looking forward to your answers.

Is this your hw or something? :p

Gampingperson, nope. I graduated from the university in 2006 :p
No more homeworks :)

Thanks for the answers - I was really glad to get them. You've helped me a lot!
Can I do anything for you? :) What are you majoring in?

p.s. Could you please check question 5?

Rokerijdude11, it's not. I have already written that I graduated from university a year ago and am now writing my Ph.D.thesis.
I'm not asking to do my job for me - I never do. I'm only asking to help me and send me answers to these questions which I will then analyse.
I could answer all the questions myself, but I can't pretend to be 100 american respondents :D

sure seems like a school paper to me?

Man oh Man Dude....I have to agree with you. You know the internet never
have failed me yet. Because its amazing how some people seem to think
others is stupid. Yes indeed it looks like school paper to me, but since
Marnia is suppose to be in Russia makes me wonder, and for my avater
location I can say On The Moon. This is why the internet is dangerous.

Man oh Man Dude....I have to agree with you. You know the internet never
have failed me yet. Because its amazing how some people seem to think
others is stupid. Yes indeed it looks like school paper to me, but since
Marnia is suppose to be in Russia makes me wonder, and for my avater
location I can say On The Moon. This is why the internet is dangerous.

Oh ye of little faith.

If you don't believe me, have a look at my site where I list my publications on the subject (I've been working on this topic for 2 years already! Too long for a homework, isn't it?). I'm sorry to hear that you think such bad things about me because I hate hypocrites and have never been one of them. Maybe this will reassure you:

www my-suzdal by ru/contact2e.html (Dots should go in empty spaces)

If I ever happen to be lucky enough to have a visitor in this thread who would be ready to help me - I've created an online survey which is more convenient than answering here. The link is:
http://www.my3q.com/home2/169/cognitive_linguist/77777.phtml

Many thanks to the kind people who sent me their answers (here and as a private message). But for you, I would have lost my faith in NON-indifference. May you also get help when you need it. May there always be a person to give you a hand in a complicated and desperate situation - the way you did.

If I ever happen to be lucky enough to have a visitor in this thread who would be ready to help me - I've created an online survey which is more convenient than answering here. The link is:
http://www.my3q.com/home2/169/cognitive_linguist/77777.phtml

Many thanks to the kind people who sent me their answers (here and as a private message). But for you, I would have lost my faith in NON-indifference. May you also get help when you need it. May there always be a person to give you a hand in a complicated and desperate situation - the way you did.

I just submitted mine through the link above. It was surprisingly tough and thought provoking. This sort of thing really ought to be given to students in schools.

Werbung:
I'm sorry, I did it but then my internet went down before I could press the submit button. What a joke. Anyway, I don't see you contributing elsewhere in the forum. This seems increasingly like work.

Back