What is a White/Hispanic ?

Texas_tea

The NY Times is referring to George Zimmerman as a "white/hispanic" male. Now, the rest of the MSM is making this reference. Why would they make this reference? Is it because his mother is white and his father is hispanic? President Obama's mother was white and his father was a black man from Kenya, do we refer to him as a white/african-american? Of course we don't! Obama will go down in history as the first African-American President.

So, why would the NY Times make this reference. We all know why ... what are your thoughts?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/22/us/police-chief-draws-fire-in-trayvon-martin-shooting.html

Werbung:
The NY Times is referring to George Zimmerman as a "white/hispanic" male. Now, the rest of the MSM is making this reference. Why would they make this reference? Is it because his mother is white and his father is hispanic? President Obama's mother was white and his father was a black man from Kenya, do we refer to him as a white/african-american? Of course we don't! Obama will go down in history as the first African-American President.

So, why would the NY Times make this reference. We all know why ... what are your thoughts?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/22/us/police-chief-draws-fire-in-trayvon-martin-shooting.html

Because it fits their radical left purposes to divide the nation.

What is a Hispanic, anyway? It seems to me it's a word that was invented when people who want to pigeonhole people by race/ethnicity discovered that Americans whose ancestors came from Mexico weren't Mexicans and didn't like being called that.

The best strategy is to quit pigeonholing people and call all of us "Americans".

What is a Hispanic, anyway? It seems to me it's a word that was invented when people who want to pigeonhole people by race/ethnicity discovered that Americans whose ancestors came from Mexico weren't Mexicans and didn't like being called that.

The best strategy is to quit pigeonholing people and call all of us "Americans".

can't discriminate/pander to if you don't categorize.

a better question is why hispanic / latino ? as I understand it (and I could easily be wrong) latinos identify more with being spanish while hispanic is more indigenous.

can't discriminate/pander to if you don't categorize.

a better question is why hispanic / latino ? as I understand it (and I could easily be wrong) latinos identify more with being spanish while hispanic is more indigenous.
The terms have become so used and abused that I doubt anyone really knows what they mean any more. When we were asked to categorize students for the state of California, "Hispanic" was defined as anyone who came from a Spanish speaking country, or whose ancestors did. It was pretty broad. I've always thought of "latino" as a synonym. The thing is, when you categorize a group of people under one heading, you're bound to have a pretty diverse group. The Cuban who came here as a political refugee and the Mexican who came here as an economic refugee are likely to have as much in common as a San Francisco lawyer and a Texas cowboy.

Werbung:
Back