Why is there only one begotten son of God? Is he you?

I think it was more a question of kindness - otherwise he would have suffered through the night. They tended to break the legs so that they couldn't hold their weight and thus suffocated.

Kindness or mercy belongs to those administering the justice.

In this case, Rome. Hence the crucifixion instead of the stoning to death which was the Jewish way.

Regards
DL

Werbung:
In this case, Rome.
I disagree what possible cause would Rome have for demanding the execution of some ragged preacher? The markets and streets were full of apocalyptic preachers and their accolytes what reason would Pilate have - it would have been in Rome's interest if he stayed alive "render unto Caesar that which is ceasar's" didn't he say that. No I think Caiaphas and the Sanhedrin had him arrested and killed because he suddenly appeared with a bunch of followers proclaiming Jesus as Messiah. With the passover festival and the Roman Governor in Jerusalem Caiaphas was afraid of trouble and the probability that if Jeus caused him trouble the Govenor would move in elements of the VI Ferratta and that would undermine his authority. Caiaphas had to manoeuvre Jesus off the scene - thus have him arrested and heasten a trial and execution so that the followers could not get organised and cause trouble.

Last edited:
I disagree what possible cause would Rome have for demanding the execution of some ragged preacher? The markets and streets were full of apocalyptic preachers and their accolytes what reason would Pilate have - it would have been in Rome's interest if he stayed alive "render unto Caesar that which is ceasar's" didn't he say that. No I think Caiaphas and the Sanhedrin had him arrested and killed because he suddenly appeared with a bunch of followers proclaiming Jesus as Messiah. With the passover festival and the Roman Governor in Jerusalem Caiaphas was afraid of trouble and the probability that if Jeus caused him trouble the Govenor would move in elements of the VI Ferratta and that would undermine his authority. Caiaphas had to manoeuvre Jesus off the scene - thus have him arrested and heasten a trial and execution so that the followers could not get organised and cause trouble.

The Jews were the accusers but Rome was the law of the land.

Why they killed Jesus, if he even ever existed, would have likely been to quiet the Jews as they might have staged an insurrection.

Rome would want to appease their slaved nation and one Jew more or less would have been irrelevant to them.

Their Roman law already demanded that Jews give unto Caesar so they would not care if some preacher echoed their law.

Regards
DL

Rome would want to appease their slaved nation
Pilate travelled from Caearea to Jerusalem for the passover with elements of the VI Ferratta legion with their full standards flaunting the image of the Emporer Tiberius. This would have been an extremely provocative display in the streets of Jerusalem and in no way appeasing the Jews. On installing himself in the Temple Palace the standards of the legion and the image of Tiberius would have been installed which woud have caused extreme provocation and would not appease the Jews. Pilate would have made his way to the temple and drawn on the temple funds which they were using to build the aquaduct this "theft" of temple funds would have provoked the elders and those in the Jewish hierachy and would not have appeased the Jews. I think its probably fair to assume that the Romans would have viewed the Jews as less than shit on thie sandels so as for appeasing them... well I think not. The jews would have possessed an extreme feeling of defilement at the presence of the Roman occupation.

For this reason I think Caiaphas and temple elders et al needed to have the streets as calm as possible so that there was as least amount of tension as possible. The presecence of "trouble makers" would have been an issue for Caiaphas and with Pilate's known insensitivity towards the Jews there must have been a lot of apprehension everytime Pilate came to Jerusalem. Pilate would have to be appeased in order for Caiaphas to show that he was capable and in charge of the affairs of Jerusalem and to hasten the departure of Pilate. What better opportunity for Caiaphas etal than to get rid of a potential trouble maker who have traveled to Jerusalem from outside of Pilates jurisdiction, turned over the tables of the money lenders and attacked the sellers of sacrificial animals!!

A whole load of politics, Caiaphas manages the expectations of Pilate by showing that the high preists are in control. Pilate can point to Galiliee and Herod Antipas as being not in control of his region - there was tension between Tiberius and Clausius (Herod being a great friend of Claudius).

Interesting speculations.

This far up the time line, with the victors writing the history, we may never know, especially if we rely on the bible which is a book of fiction.

As a Gnostic Christian, I look at all of the bible in an esoteric ecumenist way and think that it is basically all allegory for what happens in our own minds and thinking.

That would include the crucifixion and resurrection stories as they sure do not represent reality unless one wants to go into intellectual and moral dissonance and believe in talking serpents and donkeys.

Regards
DL

Werbung:
Then why keep quoting it?

Is that a euphemism for something?

More of allegory I think.

If you look at the creation painting from Michelangelo in the Vatican collection, you will perhaps recognize that God is set on a background that is identical to our right hemisphere of our brains.

The Egyptian eye also represents our right hemisphere.

Add the fact that the Vatican's largest sculpture is of the pineal gland, which many thing to what is used to activate our full brain from which enlightenment comes.

Regards
DL

Back