Wish we would follow Canada on this

dogtowner

Staff member
adios to the penny

and drop the one dollar bill at the same time in favor of the coin.
no issues with cash drawers, no big deal with rouunding, huge savings with no pain.

whats not to love ?

TORONTO (AP) - They clutter your dresser and cost too much to make. They're a nuisance and have outlived their purpose.

Finance Minister Jim Flaherty was talking about the Canadian penny and why the Royal Canadian Mint will end its production this fall as part of his austerity budget.

"The penny is a currency without any currency in Canada, and it costs us 1.5 cents to produce a penny," Flaherty told reporters.

Werbung:
LOL...

Outside of that ^ I think it's time to say good-bye to the penny, especially if it costs more to make them than they are worth.

been a loser for years but dollar bills are worse given their relatively short lifespan.
coins last a long time so the penny is not a horrible idea but its uselessly small in value.

when was the last time you bought something for a penny ?

It's time to dump the penny and the nickle. What can you buy with one anyway? There should be a 10 cent coin that looks like a current penny, a 50 center a little bigger, a $1 a little bigger yet, and a $5 coin about the size of the half dollar, and maybe a $10 coin about the size of the dollar. Folding money could start at $20. It would simplify things and make it easier to use cash.

It's time to dump the penny and the nickle. What can you buy with one anyway? There should be a 10 cent coin that looks like a current penny, a 50 center a little bigger, a $1 a little bigger yet, and a $5 coin about the size of the half dollar, and maybe a $10 coin about the size of the dollar. Folding money could start at $20. It would simplify things and make it easier to use cash.

except people dont love coins that much. a bit too big a jump IMO bit point taken.

HOLY CRAP! if we did that, I would need obamacare to pay for my bad back appointments at the doctor! That would be very heavy carying around all those coins.

Why Not Drop the Half Dollar and the Silver Dollar? also the $50 Bill
2681656-50-dollar-bill-front.jpg
50centcoin_obv144x144.jpg

usa-sacagawea-2008-1-dollar.jpg

Why Not Drop the Half Dollar and the Silver Dollar? also the $50 Bill
2681656-50-dollar-bill-front.jpg
50centcoin_obv144x144.jpg

usa-sacagawea-2008-1-dollar.jpg

Well Silvers are for the coin collectors so yrah we neednt keep that up. do we even do 50 cent pieces any more ? I do like keeping a $50 in my wallet so USGrant can kiss my arse every day.

HOLY CRAP! if we did that, I would need obamacare to pay for my bad back appointments at the doctor! That would be very heavy carying around all those coins.
Well, back in the '50s we had pennies that were worth a little more than today's dime, we had nickles that were worth about 50 cents or more, we had quarters worth $2.50, half dollars worth $5, and silver dollars worth $10. The smallest bill was the $1, worth about $10 or a little more. What I suggested would be just an updating of the currency.

Back then, most transactions were cash, too. Hardly anyone had credit cards.

yet, the coins didn't seem that heavy. In fact, having a pocket full felt kind of good.

Well, back in the '50s we had pennies that were worth a little more than today's dime, we had nickles that were worth about 50 cents or more, we had quarters worth $2.50, half dollars worth $5, and silver dollars worth $10. The smallest bill was the $1, worth about $10 or a little more. What I suggested would be just an updating of the currency.

Back then, most transactions were cash, too. Hardly anyone had credit cards.

yet, the coins didn't seem that heavy. In fact, having a pocket full felt kind of good.

I remember when a penny did get a candy. I dont carry pennys anymore but I do carry some nickles and dimes. I dont want to get rid of the one dollars either just make them out of tougher paper or something

I remember when a penny did get a candy. I dont carry pennys anymore but I do carry some nickles and dimes. I dont want to get rid of the one dollars either just make them out of tougher paper or something
A nickle bought a candy bar, and a quarter bought a gallon of regular.
and minimum wage was four quarters, or four gallons of regular, about $15-20 in today's currency.

I don't bother with coins any more. I take them home and put them in a bottle for my grandkids. They don't even care about coins so much, but them money does build up after a while. Maybe I'll use it for their college one day.

What can you buy with a quarter today?

A nickle bought a candy bar, and a quarter bought a gallon of regular.
and minimum wage was four quarters, or four gallons of regular, about $15-20 in today's currency.

I don't bother with coins any more. I take them home and put them in a bottle for my grandkids. They don't even care about coins so much, but them money does build up after a while. Maybe I'll use it for their college one day.

What can you buy with a quarter today?

Well I guess I see it this way, if the quarter is gone things that are now 1.25 or 1,50 then it will go up to 2 dollars, nothing is going to go down.

Werbung:
Well I guess I see it this way, if the quarter is gone things that are now 1.25 or 1,50 then it will go up to 2 dollars, nothing is going to go down.
Well, that could happen. However, most of us don't pay cash anyway.
We don't use mills, in fact, they were never actually minted, yet gasoline is still sold as so much and nine tenths (nine mills).

Still, a case could be made for keeping the dime. It's worth almost as much as a penny used to be worth.

Back