Andre Bauer

I don't think that pointing out you're food supply is supported and enhanced by the efforts of our government is a meaningless tangent.

Somehow, you only seem to acknowledge other peoples needs as wasteful... and not your own.

Why is that DT?

When the question at hand is the nature of charity, government regulation is a meaningless tangent.

I did not call it wasteful ?

Now will you state your opinion on the basic issue in the thread you started ?

Werbung:
What did poor Americans do before welfare programs (see the Costliest War thread). They must have died in the streets all across America from 1782 to 1964. Millions must have died of hunger on the scale of Stalin's murderous rampage in the Ukraine...

but...but...but...why did I not learn this is government school?

So, thinks the unthinking liberal.
"Oh, there you go again"...my little Reagannite friend...you really should brush up on your American History:
FOR YOUR READING PLEASURE ;) POOR FARMS/POOR HOUSES >
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poorhouse
A poorhouse or workhouse was a government-run facility in the past for the support and housing of dependent or needy persons, typically run by a local government entity such as a county or municipality.
In early Victorian times (for Britain see Poor Law and workhouse), poverty was seen as a dishonourable state caused by a lack of the moral virtue of industriousness (or industry as it was called). As was depicted by Charles Dickens, a poorhouse or workhouse could resemble a reformatory and house children, either with families or alone, or a penal labour regime to give the poor work at manual labour and subject them to physical punishment. As the 19th century progressed, conditions became better.
The term is commonly applied to such a facility that housed the destitute elderly; institutions of this nature were widespread in the United States prior to the adoption of the Social Security program in the 1930s. Facilities housing indigents who are not elderly are typically referred to as homeless shelters, or simply "shelters," in current usage.
Often the poorhouse was situated on the grounds of a poor farm on which able-bodied residents were required to work; such farms were common in the United States in the 19th and early 20th centuries; it could even be part of the same economic complex as a prison farm and other penal or charitable public institutions.
Poor farm
Poor farms were county or town-run residences where paupers (mainly elderly and disabled people) were supported at public expense. They were common in the United States beginning in the middle of the 19th century and declined in use after the Social Security Act took effect in 1935 with most disappearing completely by about 1950.
Most were working farms that produced at least some of the produce, grain, and livestock they consumed. Residents were expected to provide labor to the extent that their health would allow, both in the fields and in providing housekeeping and care for other residents. Rules were strict and accommodations minimal.
Poor farms were the origin of the U.S. tradition of county governments (rather than cities, townships, or state or federal governments) providing social services for the needy within their borders. This tradition has continued and is in most cases codified in state law, although the financial costs of such care have been shifted in part to state and federal governments. Anne Sullivan, Helen Keller's teacher was raised in such a facility during the 19th century before leaving it at age 20 to become Helen Keller's teacher and later lifelong companion. The novel The Miracle Worker and its 1957 TV play, 1959 Broadway play, and its 1962 film adaptation included harsh descriptions of the conditions therein.

Gladly. I think the statement by Andre Bauer was heinous and showed a callous disregard for human life.

We understand that you are laudibly compasisonate.

But the point is do you find this statement to be true or false wherein the "problem" is the hunger of the object ?

You're facilitating the problem if you give an animal or a person ample food supply

"Oh, there you go again"...my little Reagannite friend...you really should brush up on your American History:
FOR YOUR READING PLEASURE ;) POOR FARMS/POOR HOUSES >

Well I'll be dog gone...millions died in the streets of starvation in America. Really? You learn something knew every day.

But the point is do you find this statement to be true or false wherein the "problem" is the hunger of the object ?

I would say it is false that the "problem" is the hunger of the object. Today the issue is hunger, but it could as well be inadequate healthcare or housing or discrimination. There are many "problems" that people in poverty face... hunger is just one of them.

So in light of your request to boil this issue into an either/or response, I will buzz in and answer "What is false, Alex?"

Now, let's play final Jeopardy.

I would say it is false that the "problem" is the hunger of the object. Today the issue is hunger, but it could as well be inadequate healthcare or housing or discrimination. There are many "problems" that people in poverty face... hunger is just one of them.

So in light of your request to boil this issue into an either/or response, I will buzz in and answer "What is false, Alex?"

Now, let's play final Jeopardy.

OK, who came up with this ?

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

Well I'll be dog gone...millions died in the streets of starvation in America. Really? You learn something knew every day.
Oh, yes...my fair 'Ronnie Reagan Wanna Be'...we managed to institutionalized many of our 'PROBLEMATIC RESIDENTS' but it was all for their own good, don't cha know;) They are so easier to manage and so much easier to feed/house then under our current policies :cool:

OK, who came up with this ?

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

Lao Tzu.

My turn. Since we're using religious figures, who came up with this?

"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me."

BTW, do you remember what he promised to those who didn't do the above?

"...they will go away to eternal punishment."

Lao Tzu.

My turn. Since we're using religious figures, who came up with this?

"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me."

BTW, do you remember what he promised to those who didn't do the above?

"...they will go away to eternal punishment."

The King. But my sins are forgiven by Christ's blood so no worries there.

But you realize you miss the point in your snip regarding giving an ample food supply. Or perhaps you don't even rea that critically.

Werbung:
Back