Helen Thomas accuses obama administration of being worse than Nixon!

Pandora

Helen Thomas rips Robert Gibbs a new one. For the first time in my adult life, I am proud of Helen Thomas.

Thomas accuses obama and his white house of trying to control the media. Something some of us has said all along.

There is video out there of the testy exchange, for now here is the transcript.

Whoot! Way to go Helen!!

Helen Thomas: Not Even Nixon Tried to Control the Media Like Obama
Wednesday, July 01, 2009
By Penny Starr and Fred Lucas

(CNSNews.com) - Following a testy exchange during Wednesday’s briefing with White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs, veteran White House correspondent Helen Thomas told CNSNews.com that not even Richard Nixon tried to control the press the way President Obama is trying to control the press.

“Nixon didn’t try to do that,” Thomas said. “They couldn’t control (the media). They didn’t try.

“What the hell do they think we are, puppets?” Thomas said. “They’re supposed to stay out of our business. They are our public servants. We pay them.”

Thomas said she was especially concerned about the arrangement between the Obama Administration and a writer from the liberal Huffington Post Web site. The writer was invited by the White House to President Obama’s press conference last week on the understanding that he would ask Obama a question about Iran from among questions that had been sent to him by people in Iran.

“When you call the reporter the night before you know damn well what they are going to ask to control you,” Thomas said

“I’m not saying there has never been managed news before, but this is carried to fare-thee-well--for the town halls, for the press conferences,” she said. “It’s blatant. They don’t give a damn if you know it or not. They ought to be hanging their heads in shame.”

During today’s briefing, Thomas interrupted a back-and-forth between Gibbs and Chip Reid, the White House correspondent for CBS News, when Reid was questioning Gibbs about who was going to decide what questions would be asked of President Obama in a townhall meeting that was scheduled to take place in Annandale, Va., today.

Gibbs then had an exchange involving Reid and Thomas that went as follows:

Gibbs: “… But, again, let's--How about we do this? I promise we will interrupt the AP's tradition of asking the first question. I will let you [Chip Reid] ask me a question tomorrow as to whether you thought the questions at the town hall meeting that the President conducted in Annandale—“

Chip Reid: “I'm perfectly happy to—”

Helen Thomas: “That's not his point. The point is the control--”

Reid: “Exactly.”

Thomas: “We have never had that in the White House. And we have had some, but not-- This White House.”

Gibbs: “Yes, I was going to say, I'll let you amend her question.”

Thomas: “I'm amazed. I'm amazed at you people who call for openness and transparency and—”

Gibbs: “Helen, you haven't even heard the questions.”

Reid: “It doesn't matter. It's the process.”

Thomas: “You have left open—”

Reid: “Even if there's a tough question, it's a question coming from somebody who was invited or was screened, or the question was screened.”

Thomas: “It's shocking. It's really shocking.”

Gibbs: “Chip, let's have this discussion at the conclusion of the town hall meeting. How about that?”

Reid: “Okay.”

Gibbs: “I think—“

Thomas: “No, no, no, we're having it now--”

Gibbs: “Well, I'd be happy to have it now.”

Thomas: “It's a pattern.”

Gibbs: “Which question did you object to at the town hall meeting, Helen?”

Thomas: “It's a pattern. It isn't the question—”

Gibbs: “What's a pattern?”

Thomas: “It's a pattern of controlling the press.”

Gibbs: “How so? Is there any evidence currently going on that I'm controlling the press--poorly, I might add.”

Thomas: “Your formal engagements are pre-packaged.”

Gibbs: “How so?”

Reid: “Well, and controlling the public—”

Thomas: “How so? By calling reporters the night before to tell them they're going to be called on. That is shocking.”

Gibbs: “We had this discussion ad nauseam and—”

Thomas: “Of course you would, because you don't have any answers.”

Gibbs: “Well, because I didn't know you were going to ask a question, Helen.
Go ahead.”

Thomas: “Well, you should have.”

Reporter: Thank you for your support.

Gibbs: “That's good. Have you e-mailed your question today?”

Thomas: “I don't have to e-mail it. I can tell you right now what I want to ask.”

Gibbs: “I don't doubt that at all, Helen. I don't doubt that at all.”

Thomas, 89, has covered the White House during every presidency since John F. Kennedy’s.

http://cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=50445

Werbung:
Helen Thomas rips Robert Gibbs a new one. For the first time in my adult life, I am proud of Helen Thomas.

Thomas accuses obama and his white house of trying to control the media. Something some of us has said all along.

There is video out there of the testy exchange, for now here is the transcript.

Whoot! Way to go Helen!!

Helen Thomas: Not Even Nixon Tried to Control the Media Like Obama
Wednesday, July 01, 2009
By Penny Starr and Fred Lucas

(CNSNews.com) - Following a testy exchange during Wednesday’s briefing with White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs, veteran White House correspondent Helen Thomas told CNSNews.com that not even Richard Nixon tried to control the press the way President Obama is trying to control the press.

“Nixon didn’t try to do that,” Thomas said. “They couldn’t control (the media). They didn’t try.

“What the hell do they think we are, puppets?” Thomas said. “They’re supposed to stay out of our business. They are our public servants. We pay them.”

Thomas said she was especially concerned about the arrangement between the Obama Administration and a writer from the liberal Huffington Post Web site. The writer was invited by the White House to President Obama’s press conference last week on the understanding that he would ask Obama a question about Iran from among questions that had been sent to him by people in Iran.

“When you call the reporter the night before you know damn well what they are going to ask to control you,” Thomas said

“I’m not saying there has never been managed news before, but this is carried to fare-thee-well--for the town halls, for the press conferences,” she said. “It’s blatant. They don’t give a damn if you know it or not. They ought to be hanging their heads in shame.”

During today’s briefing, Thomas interrupted a back-and-forth between Gibbs and Chip Reid, the White House correspondent for CBS News, when Reid was questioning Gibbs about who was going to decide what questions would be asked of President Obama in a townhall meeting that was scheduled to take place in Annandale, Va., today.

Gibbs then had an exchange involving Reid and Thomas that went as follows:

Gibbs: “… But, again, let's--How about we do this? I promise we will interrupt the AP's tradition of asking the first question. I will let you [Chip Reid] ask me a question tomorrow as to whether you thought the questions at the town hall meeting that the President conducted in Annandale—“

Chip Reid: “I'm perfectly happy to—”

Helen Thomas: “That's not his point. The point is the control--”

Reid: “Exactly.”

Thomas: “We have never had that in the White House. And we have had some, but not-- This White House.”

Gibbs: “Yes, I was going to say, I'll let you amend her question.”

Thomas: “I'm amazed. I'm amazed at you people who call for openness and transparency and—”

Gibbs: “Helen, you haven't even heard the questions.”

Reid: “It doesn't matter. It's the process.”

Thomas: “You have left open—”

Reid: “Even if there's a tough question, it's a question coming from somebody who was invited or was screened, or the question was screened.”

Thomas: “It's shocking. It's really shocking.”

Gibbs: “Chip, let's have this discussion at the conclusion of the town hall meeting. How about that?”

Reid: “Okay.”

Gibbs: “I think—“

Thomas: “No, no, no, we're having it now--”

Gibbs: “Well, I'd be happy to have it now.”

Thomas: “It's a pattern.”

Gibbs: “Which question did you object to at the town hall meeting, Helen?”

Thomas: “It's a pattern. It isn't the question—”

Gibbs: “What's a pattern?”

Thomas: “It's a pattern of controlling the press.”

Gibbs: “How so? Is there any evidence currently going on that I'm controlling the press--poorly, I might add.”

Thomas: “Your formal engagements are pre-packaged.”

Gibbs: “How so?”

Reid: “Well, and controlling the public—”

Thomas: “How so? By calling reporters the night before to tell them they're going to be called on. That is shocking.”

Gibbs: “We had this discussion ad nauseam and—”

Thomas: “Of course you would, because you don't have any answers.”

Gibbs: “Well, because I didn't know you were going to ask a question, Helen.
Go ahead.”

Thomas: “Well, you should have.”

Reporter: Thank you for your support.

Gibbs: “That's good. Have you e-mailed your question today?”

Thomas: “I don't have to e-mail it. I can tell you right now what I want to ask.”

Gibbs: “I don't doubt that at all, Helen. I don't doubt that at all.”

Thomas, 89, has covered the White House during every presidency since John F. Kennedy’s.

http://cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=50445

Found the video

How about that Gibs? Isn't he a peach... They should give overbite his job, or Chris, "thrill going up my leg" Matthews.

Helen better be careful... Obama will send one of his Chicago thugs around to "make her an offer she can't refuse" and she'll be swimming with the fishes in the Potomac.

How about that Gibs? Isn't he a peach... They should give overbite his job, or Chris, "thrill going up my leg" Matthews.

Helen better be careful... Obama will send one of his Chicago thugs around to "make her an offer she can't refuse" and she'll be swimming with the fishes in the Potomac.

You know I thought that and the guy from CBS news next to her also.
They are going to have to fire Gibbs soon, the guy is a total idiot.

Chris wont take it, he figures if MINN. will vote for AlFrank some state is bound to vote for him, he said last year his dream was to be a senator. I think he will try for something in 2010. But Keith might need a good acting job, he would be perfect!

If the CBS guy gets fired and Helen dies in her sleep this week, Im blaming obama's chief of staff... dead fish Rahm Emanuel.

I find it interesting though that a very very liberal reporter is complaining quite hard about the control that white house is trying to have over the press.

For all of the complaints about President Bush, it was never this bad and the reporters hated him, they love the messiah.

But the more important question is

Do you think she was just ranting about a non issue or do you think she and the CBS guy are right and there is a real problem with openness in the obama administration?

Pandora... How you doing?;)

I came over from the other thread like you asked so we could "argue". It's a shame we live in different states. We could go have a cup of coffee or something.

Bottom line this isn't anything at all from a substantive perspective.

Did Helen Thomas make a big deal and do her famous pit bull technique (which I've always liked by the way) on Gibbs for the administration requesting (1) unknown question about activities going on in Iran.? Yes.

Is it unusual for a press conference? Yes.

But here's the thing. It was all completely out in the open. The President said in front of EVERYBODY that he had done this before he took the question.

President Obama obviously wanted to make sure that the important and ever changing situation in Iran was discussed to clarify any misconceptions about his stance and to get his word out to everyone... including the any Iranians watching.

Had this been put forward by the Obama administration and people weren't let in on the fact that a particular question area had been requested or the administration lied about this being the case I'd be onboard that would be very wrong.

But in this case although I'll grant you it became awkward... it certainly was nothing bad or sinister.

Ok we argued... let's make up!;)

Pandora... How you doing?;)

I came over from the other thread like you asked so we could "argue". It's a shame we live in different states. We could go have a cup of coffee or something.

Bottom line this isn't anything at all from a substantive perspective.

Did Helen Thomas make a big deal and do her famous pit bull technique (which I've always liked by the way) on Gibbs for the administration requesting (1) unknown question about activities going on in Iran.? Yes.

Is it unusual for a press conference? Yes.

But here's the thing. It was all completely out in the open. The President said in front of EVERYBODY that he had done this before he took the question.

President Obama obviously wanted to make sure that the important and ever changing situation in Iran was discussed to clarify any misconceptions about his stance and to get his word out to everyone... including the any Iranians watching.

Had this been put forward by the Obama administration and people weren't let in on the fact that a particular question area had been requested or the administration lied about this being the case I'd be onboard that would be very wrong.

But in this case although I'll grant you it became awkward... it certainly was nothing bad or sinister.

Ok we argued... let's make up!;)

I would have a great time at the Starbucks having coffee with you. We could argue politics and everyone could glare at me because I am not an obama supporter and give you the thumbs up because you are.

OK now to this Helen Thomas accusations. She accuses the obama white house of being worse than Nixon. The CBS reporter is agreeing with her that the obama administration is trying to control the media.

The white house only takes questions they know are going to be asked. Emailed in the night before or the white house staff calls the reporter the night before to tell them they will be called on.

That is not an open and free press

Gibbs did not deny in, actually he confirmed it by asking Helen if she had emailed her question yet.

Come on, you have to agree when uber libs like Helen Thomas and the reporter from CBS are upset with a democrat white house and a president they voted for and wanted, there is a problem.

We complained about this sort of stuff under President Bush and it was nothing as bad as this.

Here is where you should say, I like obama but I am not comfortable with this. I hope it changes.

But then again if you and I agree on this we might have nothing left to fight about, so disagree (wrongfully) if you must!

I would have a great time at the Starbucks having coffee with you. We could argue politics and everyone could glare at me because I am not an obama supporter and give you the thumbs up because you are.

OOOOOOOO people watching us argue & make up... nice!;)

OK now to this Helen Thomas accusations. She accuses the obama white house of being worse than Nixon. The CBS reporter is agreeing with her that the obama administration is trying to control the media.

That's the press. Hey I've been saying they aren't being overly kind to the Obama administration. When something comes up they tear in. There just hasn't been much come up. Helen Thomas is well known for always pressing for an answer she wants. She didn't like that a reporter was guaranteed a chance to ask a question... she went after it... that's basically it.

The white house only takes questions they know are going to be asked. Emailed in the night before or the white house staff calls the reporter the night before to tell them they will be called on.

That is not an open and free press

Gibbs did not deny in, actually he confirmed it by asking Helen if she had emailed her question yet.

That's not true Pan. Gibbs was being sarcastic. The only thing that happened different was that a reporter was told he'd be called on. The questions are not known in advance.

Come on, you have to agree when uber libs like Helen Thomas and the reporter from CBS are upset with a democrat white house and a president they voted for and wanted, there is a problem.

I don't see a problem. The press can ask or complain about anything it wants. The press is suppose to be somewhat confrontational to see what's what. The thing here is the "what" simply is nothing. The President himself told everyone up front exactly what he was doing.

We complained about this sort of stuff under President Bush and it was nothing as bad as this.

The problem with Bush is he was lying a lot. He and his administration kept getting caught not being disingenuous. The country turned from a Clinton economic high with a surplus to the Bush Wars & Recession. That by it's nature brings on more intense scrutiny.

Here is where you should say, I like obama but I am not comfortable with this. I hope it changes.

This is where I can say I like President Obama a lot and I think that he should not do it and end the controversy. Even though I see nothing wrong with it because he told everyone... all the reporters in the room... at the time that he had asked a particular reporter for questions on Iran and was about to call on him.

But then again if you and I agree on this we might have nothing left to fight about, so disagree (wrongfully) if you must!

I say we've made up again!;)

OOOOOOOO people watching us argue & make up... nice!;)

That's the press. Hey I've been saying they aren't being overly kind to the Obama administration. When something comes up they tear in. There just hasn't been much come up. Helen Thomas is well known for always pressing for an answer she wants. She didn't like that a reporter was guaranteed a chance to ask a question... she went after it... that's basically it.

That's not true Pan. Gibbs was being sarcastic. The only thing that happened different was that a reporter was told he'd be called on. The questions are not known in advance.

I don't see a problem. The press can ask or complain about anything it wants. The press is suppose to be somewhat confrontational to see what's what. The thing here is the "what" simply is nothing. The President himself told everyone up front exactly what he was doing.

The problem with Bush is he was lying a lot. He and his administration kept getting caught not being disingenuous. The country turned from a Clinton economic high with a surplus to the Bush Wars & Recession. That by it's nature brings on more intense scrutiny.

This is where I can say I like President Obama a lot and I think that he should not do it and end the controversy. Even though I see nothing wrong with it because he told everyone... all the reporters in the room... at the time that he had asked a particular reporter for questions on Iran and was about to call on him.

I say we've made up again!;)

You crack me up :)

OK I guess we will have to fight about Sarah Palin, fine!

Just be sure to keep fighting with me because its fun

Werbung:
Back