If Abortion becomes illegal in the US

I was just paraphrasing what you wrote in the cited post and then followed it with a question. I assumed that you intended the "spark" to be human intelligence.

Why would you assume such a thing? Why would you assume anything. I leave nothing in my responses for assumption (unless you are mare in which case you assume everything because you understand nothting that you read). I didn't name the "spark" and suggested that it only needs a name if you feel that you need to name it.

In any case, my arguments are based in the law and my personal beliefs don't enter into them. What I "believe" or why I believe it is irrelavent so long as I can prove my position with fact.

If that is not what you meant
, I invite you to provide some credible science that states that some "spark" that only exists in a human zygote. (God help us...have we gotten to the point where we will suggest that that "spark" is a "soul" and this is a religious based discussion after all?)

If you want to talk souls, find someone else. My argument is based in the law and logic. I pointed out that we are unique in that we know we have the option of living by the rules of nature (the jungle) or developing a set of rules by which we can get along. It has nothing to do with when we should enjoy the protection of the law. Beyond that, anything you might get from the statement is a product of your own imagination.

That does not follow...I never mentioned law, I was discussing the scientific characteristics of a zygote.

A zygote is a single cell.

I have not put forward an argument, I have been asking questions and asking for clarification. I am disappointed that you are choosing to respond in an emotional manner.

This is not an argument?

"Be that so, if a living entity does not have this intelligence, then it is not human. Therefore, a zygote consisting of only eight or so cells (or more), does not produce brain waves, is not self aware, does not feel pain, is completely unaware of its choices...does not have the "spark" yet... is not human? "

It has all of the characteristics of an argument. Your biology is incorrect in that a zygote is a single cell, but the above certainly constitutes an argument. Maybe you didn't mean to put forward an argument.

The basic premise of this argument (or question, or statement or whatever you care to call it) is demonstrably false as I have already provided you with credible, peer reviewed science that states explicitly that we are human beings from conception.

Werbung:
Were a strange genetic defect to occur where one could keep an embryo alive, for many years, yet this embryo partially developed would not divide further and would remain the same as it was, would you argue for keeping it alive?

Another question. If obviously a fetus is NOT a developed human being. It has no idea of self, no memories. It is no different from any other living being. But then we're not adverse to killing things. We kill animals to eat, we kill bacteria because it spoils our food (pasteurization) we kill fish, mosquitos (because they annoy us, this is ok, right?) These are in the same category of the fetus EXCEPT that the fetus shares the same DNA as we do as being of the species Homosapien. However the thoughts of an undeveloped embryo are no more intelligent than that of a fly, in fact it is likely less. The only difference is the possibility of intellect, the possibility that one day it will be self-realized, the possibility that it will become a person. But all this is irrelevant since you are discussing the LIFE of an embryo. There is nothing any more human about it, beyond the fact that we all once were an embryo, we all share DNA, and nothing MORE.

This being said I don't like the idea of third trimester abortions at all (unless life is at risk) But there is no way someone can convince me that an undeveloped HUMAN can be considered on the same terms as a person. Please while you try and keep asserting you are "emotionless / cold" I don't find you that way, I find you full of angry rage fueled by something religious on the back burner. You without saying it are insisting that a human is formed at fertilization (thus has a soul, and requires the same respect) unless this is removed from the argument, and a valid reasoning is given I close the book on you, as I cannot further digest the nonsense.

Refer to any legal dictionary 9sublime. The definition of person is "a human being" or certain sorts of corporate entities but I don't believe anyone is suggesting that unborns are corporations.

Your definition of "person" simply isn't recognized in a court of law and my argument is based in the law.

I don't care what if your argument is based on the current laws of your country. This is my viewpoint, and my viewpoint is that whilst a foetus is obviously a human being, it is not a person, or for that matter as the above poster pointed out, it is not an intelligent form of life really.

Sperm and eggs represent the potential to create new life but alone, they will never be anything but what they are. Once they get together, however, and fertilization is complete, the potential of both sperm and egg are realized and you do indeed have a new human being.

Potential is potential Palerider in this situation. Those sperm that dont even get a chance to meet an egg are being wasted, killing them. They are about as intelligent as the foetus and have about as much personality.

I will gladly consider any credible science that you can provide that suggests that the offspring of two human beings is ever anything but a human being.

I never said that, I said it wasn't a person.

And feel free to refer to the legal dictionary for the definition of person. Since unborns are undeniably human beings, and in the eyes of the law, one only need be a human being in order to be a person. Well, you can do the math.

It doesn't matter what the law says, I think the law should be changed so that there is no contradiction between legalized abortion and the defenition of a person.

Were a strange genetic defect to occur where one could keep an embryo alive, for many years, yet this embryo partially developed would not divide further and would remain the same as it was, would you argue for keeping it alive?

Life is the condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, it is manifested by growth through metabolism, reproduction, and the power of adaptation to environment through changes originating internally.

What you are describing is not alive unless it is frozen in liquid nitrogen in which case, it is no defect but rather something that we have done to it deliberately, in which case, we have a responsibility to it.

Another question. If obviously a fetus is NOT a developed human being.

Obviously an infant is not a developed human being either. It is more developed than an embryo but far less developed than an adult and yet, it enjoys the protection of the law. Clearly, if the level of maturity is the justification for killing unborns our justification is very hypocritical.

It has no idea of self, no memories. It is no different from any other living being. But then we're not adverse to killing things. We kill animals to eat, we kill bacteria because it spoils our food (pasteurization) we kill fish, mosquitos (because they annoy us, this is ok, right?)

We are natural creatures and live within a food chain. Our physiology is clearly that of an omnivore with a predelection towards being a predator. I don't deny what we are. We, however, have the ability to recognize our place in the natural world and live in it in a way that is different from the creatures we share it with. That recognition does not change what we are. We kill plants as well and there is some research that suggests consiousness or awareness of some sort even in plants. If you are objecting to killing to live, you must include plants as well. You must kill to survive or die. And as I have said, I have no problem at all with a woman terminating a pregnancy if it is for her survival. That is, if the pregnancy is going to kill her or ruin her long term health.

These are in the same category of the fetus EXCEPT that the fetus shares the same DNA as we do as being of the species Homosapien.

That is like saying that a dog is the same as a human being except that the dog is a dog. My position is simple and unassailable. At the present time, abortion is unconstitutional. The 14th amendment of the constitution states that none of us has to forfiet our lives without the due process of the law. Unbonrs are as human as any of the rest of us and the nature of our legal system is such that if they are to be denied the right to live, then it is up to the houses of congress to write laws that deny them the right to live and explain in detail why they are being denied the right.

However the thoughts of an undeveloped embryo are no more intelligent than that of a fly, in fact it is likely less. The only difference is the possibility of intellect, the possibility that one day it will be self-realized, the possibility that it will become a person. But all this is irrelevant since you are discussing the LIFE of an embryo. There is nothing any more human about it, beyond the fact that we all once were an embryo, we all share DNA, and nothing MORE.

Look in any legal dictionary. In the eyes of the law, all one need be, in order to be a person is a human being. Or a certain type of corporate entity but I don't think you are arguing that unborns are corporations.

Newborns have the possibility of intellect as they certainly don't have any at birth and newborns certainly aren't "self realized" but it is accepted that they are persons. Again, if lack of self realization and intellect are the justification for aborting unborns, our justifications are hypocritical becuse newborns have neither of these either but do enjoy the protection of the law.

This being said I don't like the idea of third trimester abortions at all (unless life is at risk) But there is no way someone can convince me that an undeveloped HUMAN can be considered on the same terms as a person.

In the eyes of the law (and the law is what is important here) if one is a human being, then one is a person. Human being and person are one in the same. The fact that you are unable to wrap your mind around that concept doesn't really matter. As I have stated before, there are concepts in quantum physics that I can't wrap my mind around but my inability to grasp doesn't change the fact.

Please while you try and keep asserting you are "emotionless / cold" I don't find you that way, I find you full of angry rage fueled by something religious on the back burner.

What I believe is irrelavent to what is. I am able to argue my case more than adequately without bringing my beliefs into it. Generally speaking, one can only do that when one is right. It is the pro choice side that is reduced to what if's, and strange senarios, and logical gyrations that are at best laughable.

And yes, I am angry. I was angry over the treatment of blacks in the 1950's and 1960's. Weren't you or wouldn't you have been? Had I lived during the time of slavery, I would have been angry then as well. Wouldn't you have been? Considering that abortion is the most egregious human rights violation of our time, I find myself questioning the character and ethics of anyone who isn't angry. If you would have been angry during the '50's and '60's and during the days of slavery because human beings were being denied their rights based on no more than the color of their skin, why exactly would you not be outraged today because the unborn are being denied their rights based on no more than their age and level of development? Is racism wrong but ageism OK in your book?

You without saying it are insisting that a human is formed at fertilization (thus has a soul, and requires the same respect) unless this is removed from the argument, and a valid reasoning is given I close the book on you, as I cannot further digest the nonsense.

I don't know anything about when we get souls. Do you? If your claim is that it is ok to kill unborns because they don't have souls but we can't kill infants because they do, I am going to need for you to tell me exactly when we get souls.

I have provided ample credible, peer reviewed science that states, without reservation, that we are human beings from the time fertilization is complete. If you can provide some credible science that states that the offspring of two human beings is ever anyting but a human being, you have an argument. My bet is that you won't be able to provide even one piece of credible science however.

And I can't say that I blame you for looking for an exit from this discussion. It is clear that you are not going to be able to make your case. Just look the ridiculous position your argument has put you in. I have never mentione souls and have never even suggested that any of us have souls. You injected souls into the conversation and then claim that if I won't stop talking about souls, then you are going to close the book on the discussion. Can you see what is wrong with this picture?

If you have come to the realization that you are not going to be able to effectvely argue your case and want an out, I can understand that but don't suggest that if I won't stop talking about souls (when it is you who is talking about souls) that you are going to leave the conversation.

I don't care what if your argument is based on the current laws of your country. This is my viewpoint, and my viewpoint is that whilst a foetus is obviously a human being, it is not a person, or for that matter as the above poster pointed out, it is not an intelligent form of life really.

I can effectively prove, via hard science that they are human beings. Can you effectively prove that they are not persons? Or will you have to resort to the musings of necromancers and gypsys?

Potential is potential Palerider in this situation. Those sperm that dont even get a chance to meet an egg are being wasted, killing them. They are about as intelligent as the foetus and have about as much personality.

Yes it is. Sperm and eggs represent potential human beings. Once they get together however, their potential is realized and from that point on, you have a potential doctor, or a potential school teacher, or a potential serial killer, not a potential human being. Facts are facts 9sublime and you are not operating from a position of fact.

I never said that, I said it wasn't a person.

But you can't prove that and we are talking life and death. Would you accept such an argument in a court of law if it were your life on the line? Would you be willing to accept someone's "opinion" that you didn't deserve the right to live?

It doesn't matter what the law says, I think the law should be changed so that there is no contradiction between legalized abortion and the defenition of a person.

So do I. In this country, however, I don't think that could happen. I doubt that abortion on demand could pass the legislature of even the most liberal state.

I can effectively prove, via hard science that they are human beings. Can you effectively prove that they are not persons? Or will you have to resort to the musings of necromancers and gypsys?

Necromancers and gypsys??? I am not the one who believes in a God, angels, a devil, demons, a place outside of this earth. Prove that with some hard science, or don't believe in religion Paley.

Yes it is. Sperm and eggs represent potential human beings. Once they get together however, their potential is realized and from that point on, you have a potential doctor, or a potential school teacher, or a potential serial killer, not a potential human being. Facts are facts 9sublime and you are not operating from a position of fact.

The sperm has the potential to be the president of the United States one day. Thats a fact. DON'T KILL YOUR SPERM!

palerider;18601]My error. That response was directed to 9sublime.

Good... very good!

Of course your attempts at using wrong biology to support your position makes you look daft as well.

Well The United States Supreme Court & I will take your derogatory comments and treat them with all the dignity they deserve.

Back to Law

As you wish, we should go back to law.

My position is simple and unassailable. At the present time, abortion is unconstitutional.
The Supreme Court is the only entity that can interpret the meaning of the constitution. Hence, since Roe vs. Wade, abortion is not unconstitutional.

The 14th amendment of the constitution states that none of us has to forfiet our lives without the due process of the law. Unbonrs are as human as any of the rest of us and the nature of our legal system is such that if they are to be denied the right to live,...
It would seem so. However, the court did not interpret that to mean the unborn when it considered Row v. Wade.

then it is up to the houses of congress to write laws that deny them the right to live and explain in detail why they are being denied the right.
Congress decides what laws they will write. They are not required by the Constitution enact any particualr law or to "explain in detail...".

It matters not what any entity thinks the wording of the Constitution means except one...the Supreme Court; they have decided that the 14th amendment does not apply to unborns in this regard. Of course you know all this. This is what we get when we decide to live by rules (government) instead of the law of the jungle...we get rules we do not agree with.

Necromancers and gypsys??? I am not the one who believes in a God, angels, a devil, demons, a place outside of this earth. Prove that with some hard science, or don't believe in religion Paley.{/quote]

I have never made any such claim. Now. Can you prove in any way that unborns are not persons?

The sperm has the potential to be the president of the United States one day. Thats a fact. DON'T KILL YOUR SPERM!

Only if that sperm gets the chance to meet an egg. And then only if fertilization takes place and the child's mother doesn't kill it because it is less than convenient.

Well The United States Supreme Court & I will take your derogatory comments and treat them with all the dignity they deserve. [/COLOR]

The supreme court was operating with science as it was known a quarter of a century ago. You have the advantage of all the knowledge we have gained since then but you disregard it in favor of the outdated knowledge upon which they based their decision. Why is that? Are you so conservative that you are unable to even accept new knowledge?

A statement of interest.

palerider wrote:
...as I have said, I have no problem at all with a woman terminating a pregnancy if it is for her survival. That is, if the pregnancy is going to kill her or ruin her long term health.
This statement will make Mare very happy; this is all she wants. But, she wants it to be left up to the woman to decide if it will ruin her long term health.

The Supreme Court is the only entity that can interpret the meaning of the constitution. Hence, since Roe vs. Wade, abortion is not unconstitutional.

Show me a right to kill one's children in the constitution. Show me something that even resembles the right to kill one's children in the constitution.

It would seem so. However, the court did not interpret that to mean the unborn when it considered Row v. Wade.

At the time roe was heard, it was possible to make an argument of sorts that unborns were not human beings. The court accepted that argument and in the majority decision noted that should the personhood of unborns be established (i.e. should they be determined to be human beings) then the framework of roe would fail since the unborn would be entitled to the protection of the 14th amendment. Since then, it has become undeniable that unborns are human beings and the legal definition of person has not changed. Further, a respectable body of precedent has been established for the personhood of unborns.

Congress decides what laws they will write. They are not required by the Constitution enact any particualr law or to "explain in detail...".

The nature of our legal system is such that if one human being, or a group of human beings is to be denied a right then law must be legislated that specifically enumerates which right is being denied, from whom it is being denied, and for what reason it is to be denied. The courts do not have the right to deny one individual or a group their basic human rights. Roe, and subsequent cases have resulted in the court effectively denying the right to live from every human being concieved in this country for the first 9 months of thier lives.

It matters not what any entity thinks the wording of the Constitution means except one...the Supreme Court; they have decided that the 14th amendment does not apply to unborns in this regard. Of course you know all this. This is what we get when we decide to live by rules (government) instead of the law of the jungle...we get rules we do not agree with.

It is one thing to get rules that we don't agree with, it is another to deny an entire class their most basic human right. The court has reversed itself no less than 200 times in its history so clearly they can be wrong and make decisions that are unconstitutional. This is just one more instance.

This statement will make Mare very happy; this is all she wants. But, she wants it to be left up to the woman to decide if it will ruin her long term health.

Stretch marks don't constitute a long term health issue.

Originally Posted by dahermit
Show me a right to kill one's children in the constitution. Show me something that even resembles the right to kill one's children in the constitution.
It is not there, but that is a moot point. The Supreme Court decides what is constitutional or not.

At the time roe was heard, it was possible to make an argument of sorts that unborns were not human beings. The court accepted that argument and in the majority decision noted that should the personhood of unborns be established (i.e. should they be determined to be human beings) then the framework of roe would fail since the unborn would be entitled to the protection of the 14th amendment. Since then, it has become undeniable that unborns are human beings and the legal definition of person has not changed. Further, a respectable body of precedent has been established for the personhood of unborns.
Nevertheless, until the Supreme Court rules otherwise, or a new law is enacted the status of the unborn has not changed.

Congress decides what laws they will write. They are not required by the Constitution enact any particular law or to "explain in detail...".
The nature of our legal system is such that if one human being, or a group of human beings is to be denied a right then law must be legislated that specifically enumerates which right is being denied, from whom it is being denied, and for what reason it is to be denied.
The 14th Amendment appears to say that to you and even to me. Considering that the Supreme Court via Roe v. Wade though otherwise, that is a moot point. No such law has been legislated.

The courts do not have the right to deny one individual or a group their basic human rights.
Yet they did.
Roe, and subsequent cases have resulted in the court effectively denying the right to live from every human being conceived in this country for the first 9 months of their lives.
That appears to be very true.
It is one thing to get rules that we don't agree with, it is another to deny an entire class their most basic human right. The court has reversed itself no less than 200 times in its history so clearly they can be wrong and make decisions that are unconstitutional. This is just one more instance.

You are right, they do reverse themselves from time to time. They may reverse themselves on Row V. Wade, but they have not at this point. Their decisions are not unconstitutional. They are the ones who get to say what is unconstitutional or not, no matter what words are in the constitution despite your unwillingness to accept that.

Werbung:
palerider wrote:
I have never denied that I have religious beliefs. They never enter into my argument, however. If I can prove my point without ever touching on religious belief, then what I believe simply meshes with what is.
Everybody thinks that their beliefs just happen to mesh with what is right. However their choice of words in their rhetoric gives them away. For instance, persons of religion on this issue will try to garner sympathetic support for their position by referring to the unborn as being "innocent"(of sin?). Whereas we are left to draw the inference that the expectant mother cannot be "innocent" because she did the horizontal mambo and is guilty of the sin of sex and need to held responsible for this grievous sin. Unless of course by innocent they mean that the unborn has not broken any law (not likely what they meant).

...kill an innocent human being?
...than to see innocent children die?
...That is a personal responsibility issue and in no way justifies killing innocent human beings.
...accept that you actually favored killing innocent human beings?
...Are you prepared to have innocent human beings killed on the basis...

Back