Murkowsky...or Murkowski......

If that's that Alsaka laws say, then Miller is right. And he's merely asking that the law be obeyed.

Only if the people change the law, which it sounds like they haven't.

Even if the people do get their legislators to change it now, it can't work retroactively to affect an election that's already been held.

Is Murkowski fighting Miller's assertion? Then she is fighting for the the law to be disobeyed.

The courts all over have basically all ruled in favor of Murkowski on cases like this...The State Election board had said before that it was going to go based on those cases, with voter intent...

and like I said to Rob...would you want to win that way..knowing you had less votes, but win the election because you threw out peoples votes over small spelling errors...Would you feel good about that personally, or would you yeild to the will of the people and say they won and bow out...

Werbung:
for the last 25 years or so, the courts have ruled that voter intent overruled technicalities...

Courts in other states, with differing sets of legal guidelines spelled out by their respective state legislatures have ruled that way yes... the language the Alaska Legislature spelled out though makes it more muddy in my opinion. (For example, in New Mexico, I think, it was a similiar issue, and their statute spelled out voter intent)

I will admit, I have no looked at any case law in Alaska on this issue, but the statutory language is clear, and it is not clear that rulings that support voter intent on your standard ballot would even apply to a write-in ballot.

That questions is up in the air.

Do we want a government based on laws...with no brains behind the laws?

Obviously we all want laws with "brains" behind them, however it is up to the Legislature to write those laws, and the Courts to uphold the laws as written.

And more, do you want to be the guy who wins the way he would have to..with less votes, but winning based on spelling...?

I saw another argument from Miller that said the following:
"Prior to the election, people commented on radio stations and in the comment sections in blogs and newspaper stories that they would deliberately incorrectly write-in a variation of “Murkowski” as a protest. They did so knowing that Murkowski was spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on a “spelling bee” campaign, replete with wrist bands, pencils and tattoos, all to educate the voters on proper spelling. Why was this done? Because even Murkowski had read the law and knew that it required proper spelling — “No exceptions.” So protest voters were trying to send a message to the candidate."

If this proves accurate, who is to say that "voter intent" was not a protest vote, knowing it would not be counted? Perhaps that is why the Legislature put the law in place that they did?

If you where in his place, and knew that for a fact, many more voted for the other person, but if you got rid of some for spelling errors ( easy on a name like hers) or would you personally say you know what, I will listen to what the people want and let the real winner win, and not try to dance on technicalities.

I would ask the law to be upheld.

I think its pretty pathetic...its wrong to try to win a election with fake votes for you...

Who is to say that those votes that were spelled wrong were not "fake" or protest votes? I don't think that would really fly in court, but it is interesting all the same...

He might be able to argue that his rights were violated by changing election law in the middle of an election under some kind of due process claim...not sure how they would fly either, but would be interesting.

but its even worse trying to just take peoples real votes away from them...If he wants to show that it he against the politics of Washington and all that crap the tea party normally puts out...he sure has a funny way of showing it.

I will say it again, I do not care who wins the election ultimately, but the rule of law needs to be upheld here. Miller's suit has merit in my view, and I think it is the correct move to let a judge decide on those merits.

Courts in other states, with differing sets of legal guidelines spelled out by their respective state legislatures have ruled that way yes... the language the Alaska Legislature spelled out though makes it more muddy in my opinion. (For example, in New Mexico, I think, it was a similiar issue, and their statute spelled out voter intent)

I will admit, I have no looked at any case law in Alaska on this issue, but the statutory language is clear, and it is not clear that rulings that support voter intent on your standard ballot would even apply to a write-in ballot.

That questions is up in the air.

Obviously we all want laws with "brains" behind them, however it is up to the Legislature to write those laws, and the Courts to uphold the laws as written.

I saw another argument from Miller that said the following:
"Prior to the election, people commented on radio stations and in the comment sections in blogs and newspaper stories that they would deliberately incorrectly write-in a variation of “Murkowski” as a protest. They did so knowing that Murkowski was spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on a “spelling bee” campaign, replete with wrist bands, pencils and tattoos, all to educate the voters on proper spelling. Why was this done? Because even Murkowski had read the law and knew that it required proper spelling — “No exceptions.” So protest voters were trying to send a message to the candidate."

If this proves accurate, who is to say that "voter intent" was not a protest vote, knowing it would not be counted? Perhaps that is why the Legislature put the law in place that they did?

I would ask the law to be upheld.

Who is to say that those votes that were spelled wrong were not "fake" or protest votes? I don't think that would really fly in court, but it is interesting all the same...

He might be able to argue that his rights were violated by changing election law in the middle of an election under some kind of due process claim...not sure how they would fly either, but would be interesting.

I will say it again, I do not care who wins the election ultimately, but the rule of law needs to be upheld here. Miller's suit has merit in my view, and I think it is the correct move to let a judge decide on those merits.

the idea of some fake protest vote, to just misspell her name...to me sounds like...the only plan was make crap up to justify telling that the will of the voters is not enough...if 100,000 more voters voted against me, and I can find a way to get them to not count until I win, then so be it..

When doing our write in, we knew voter intent was the law ...and we knew if they misspelled it, we got it...but we wanted to make sure it was as close as possible and to eliminate any chance ...we did same only we had pens with her name that said Pen in Jen...( our slogan) it was a cheap easy way to make sure they had the website and name, and something they could take in with them.. I saw quite a few diff versions of our right in, all counted but one ( I would have fought it had it come down to it, as to me it was clear)

but I have said, without knowing Alaska law, he may have legal merit..I just think he needs to the look at the moral Merit of it..I know 2 thinks about Mercowski...she is a republican and from Alaska...and that the guy she is against is a tea party backed guy who a large part of the state turned on when found out quite a bit of stuff about him...

who knows the best thing politically could be to let the unqualified guy win and have the mostly Republican state of Alaska hate him for 6 years, and kill the Republican party up there a bit...

But when voters vote, I think we should do our best to make sure we count them...not do our best to throw out voters ( provided they are legal votes of course)

but I have said, without knowing Alaska law, he may have legal merit..I just think he needs to the look at the moral Merit of it..I know 2 thinks about Mercowski...she is a republican and from Alaska...and that the guy she is against is a tea party backed guy who a large part of the state turned on when found out quite a bit of stuff about him...

who knows the best thing politically could be to let the unqualified guy win and have the mostly Republican state of Alaska hate him for 6 years, and kill the Republican party up there a bit...

Why exactly do you say Joe Miller is "unqualified"? He is an Ivy League educated lawyer that won the party primary.

But when voters vote, I think we should do our best to make sure we count them...not do our best to throw out voters ( provided they are legal votes of course)

This is the whole crux of the issue. Looking solely at the statutory language, misspelled ballots are not legal votes. I see no problem with Miller making this argument before a judge and letting the judge rule on the matter.

Werbung:
Back