1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

Obama - The 1st 100 days

Discussion in 'U.S. Politics' started by The Scotsman, Apr 29, 2009.

1. The Scotsman

The Scotsman Well-Known Member

So the first 100 days are up. Obama, on his election day, faced a sea of a million faces in the parks and streets litteraly packed with celebrating crowds chanting his name and pumped with expectations......has he lived up to those expections?

Do you think that Obama has stood up to the challenges and expectations in his first 100 days?

2. Pandora

Pandora Well-Known Member

I did not want him and I knew he would be bad but he is far worse than I even thought.

3. samsara15

samsara15 Member

Is that a recommendation (at least for the likes of me, it might be)?

4. ASPCA4EVER

ASPCA4EVER New Member

Land of the JAYHAWKS-ROCK CHOCK Jayhawk, KU
    How do we gauge the success or failure of a seated President...Hmmm!

Personally, I think he done remarkably well considering during the long drawn out campaign the worst of the worst topics facing him was our involvement in 2 wars in different countries and our lack of successful retraining pulling out so that the 'natives' could have their countries back. And then the economy blew up in G.W.B. & Greenspans face and despite their continual mantra about it's going to get better...it went BUST. I'd say on a scale of 0-10 zero being the lowest, I'd give him a 7. He's got a rough road to hoe and it really really is unprecedented the number of dire problems that he is facing!

But he is my President and I'll support him wholeheartedly just as I did G.W.B. during in first 4 years...and then that all went to hell in the hand basket and I learned about his lies! So my more cynical side says just wait & see but be hopeful!

5. Mare Tranquillity

Mare Tranquillity Active Member

After 2,920 days of George I think that a 100 day window is too short to make a real detemination. Obie started out with a country in disarray, an economy in the toilet, a two-front war, and undying enmity of the Pandoras of the world.

I don't dabble in politics much, I just sit and watch because I don't see much difference between the two parties at the higher levels. Big money runs the country and the world, I think, no matter who gets into the White House.

It's only on the lower levels of governance that the parties matter. For instance George and the Repubs are hysterical about gay marriage and equality for transgendered people because of their constituency of Bible-beaters, whereas Obie and Demos are more broadminded.

No point in taking all this too seriously, governments come and go, nations rise and fall, we live and die, it's the way of the world.

6. BigRob

BigRob Well-Known Member

Economic policy - I think the stimulus was to big and bailouts have done nothing. I also think is budget is far to large. 100 days in he has done a lot, I just think most of it was bad and we will feel the effects in the coming years.

Domestic Policy - Depends on your issue I suppose.

Foreign Policy - He has done OK in some areas, but has failed in others in my view. I'd give him a mixed.

7. Pandora

Absolutly! and I am proud of that !

8. asur

asur New Member

The biggest problem is the economy and there is no evidence that it has improved
    in the first 100 days. None, nada, zilch. The stimulus has no measureable impact except
    to weaken the US in the longrun.

What will probably take place now is more gov't spending to make the economy look like it is an economy.

Obama does give a great speech.

9. The Scotsman

The Scotsman Well-Known Member

...:)... its not a question of success or failure its how do you think he has performed in the face of the challenges of his first 100 days in office.

Do you think for example his "screw up" in his choice of health secretary shows lack of judgement?

His management of foreign policy, was it wise so be captured shaking hands with Chavez for example?

10. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Let's see... one trillion in deficit, $20 Trillion in national debt by 2017, nationalized control over a few banks that are crashing, and a couple of car companies producing crap now, releasing some likely Muslim terrorist on US soil. Epic Failure so far. At least he had those crappy Somali Pirates shot. That's worth about 1/4 of a point when he's negative five to start with.

11. ASPCA4EVER

ASPCA4EVER New Member

Are you asking me about the 'FIRST' appointment of Health Secretary???

Cause I'm all over this most recent one...Kathleen Sibelius was my Governor and she is an amazing and very forthright/upstanding woman!

I would never - ever hope that I could be so shallow as to judge a leader by the photo of whom he was seen shaking hands with! While in a public place and at a meet and greet occasion your going to have to make 'NICE' with all types of lessor thinking humans...but you smile you shake hands and you appear as professional as possible...you never ever walk up behind a seated head of state or other foreign dignitary and 'do the shoulder shake & grab'...NOW THAT WOULD BE BAD FORM....LMAO!

12. Pandora

I was happy when Tom Daschle backed out because he would have been terrible for the job. But when I read that she was the next tapped I wished Tom Daschle could come back. I really cant stand that woman. Her views on abortion might be even worse than Obama's if that is possible.

Do you like Dr. Tiller too?

13. Mr. Shaman

Mr. Shaman New Member

I'd say, everything's right-on-track.

Much like 1993, every "conservative" predicted Obama would fall (flat-on-his-face).

The convenience of making such predictions is....if those (same) "conservatives" end-up being totally-wrong (as usual), there's no down-side; it doesn't cost them anything ('cause most o' them had no credibility, anyhow)....and, they'll (totally) deny making such predictions (as expected). :rolleyes:

What's really drivin' "conservatives" nutz (presently), is....voters' consumer-confidence is mirroring the early-Clinton-years, and "conservatives" just can't HANDLE IT!!!

:D

I'M havin' a GREAT time!!!!!!

:p

14. ASPCA4EVER

ASPCA4EVER New Member

But, But, But Pandora...her views on abortion won't be something that she gets to act on...she's very knowledgeable about Health & Human Resources...do try to over look those things that tend to make your close your mind. I'm all about Pro Choice and I have NO FEARS what so ever that neither President Obama nor former Governor Sibelius will be over turning Roe v. Wade. So just put those itty-bitty fear factors away and FOCUS on the job that lays ahead!!! ;)

15. Mr. Shaman

Mr. Shaman New Member

.......Not to mention........​