Palin Hits Grand Slam

asur

Wolf Blitzer - I saw the next VP.
Anderson - A superstar is born.
NOW - We have a leader now!
Joe Biden - I only saw part of speech to I can't say.
Obama - Well delivered speech

30 Million were impressed. You go girl!

Werbung:
The telaprompter broke right when she came out, then the one they replaced it with was moving faster than she could talk, much of what she said was from notes, but I wouldnt have known that by watching her.

she is a natural

it was a great speech for its audience, but i don't think it did much to reach out to people who might be undecided, unless all they wanted was a woman on the ticket. she's VERY conservative, and it was a VERY conservative speech, on a night of VERY conservative speeches (ahem, mittens)... in a year where "generic democrat" wins by nearly 15%, and dem party id is up 6 or 7 points.

i think she was a big gamble for mccain, and we won't know how it'll work for a few weeks yet.

The telaprompter broke right when she came out, then the one they replaced it with was moving faster than she could talk, much of what she said was from notes, but I wouldnt have known that by watching her.

she is a natural

That's outrageous! The idiots couldn't get their equipment working for such an important moment?! :mad:

it was a great speech for its audience, but i don't think it did much to reach out to people who might be undecided, unless all they wanted was a woman on the ticket. she's VERY conservative, and it was a VERY conservative speech, on a night of VERY conservative speeches (ahem, mittens)... in a year where "generic democrat" wins by nearly 15%, and dem party id is up 6 or 7 points.

i think she was a big gamble for mccain, and we won't know how it'll work for a few weeks yet.

McCain and Palin are waging an uphil battle against the legacy of the two previous terms of P. Bush, against a biased media, and against a culture that is overall becoming more liberal. And yet despite all of that they have been in a virtual tie neck and neck for a long time and just now Sen. Obama has had a nice bump as a result of the DNC. The difference is only about 4% (which already dropped from yesterday) and the RNC bump is still to come. Meanwhile Obama did poorly in the only debate he has engaged in with a republican to date. he seems to do well when his speeches are written for him but when he adlibs it is a catastrophe and when he debates he is above his pay grade.

McCain and Palin are waging an uphil battle against the legacy of the two previous terms of P. Bush, against a biased media, and against a culture that is overall becoming more liberal. And yet despite all of that they have been in a virtual tie neck and neck for a long time and just now Sen. Obama has had a nice bump as a result of the DNC. The difference is only about 4% (which already dropped from yesterday) and the RNC bump is still to come. Meanwhile Obama did poorly in the only debate he has engaged in with a republican to date. he seems to do well when his speeches are written for him but when he adlibs it is a catastrophe and when he debates he is above his pay grade.

the thing about bumps is that, by definition, they fade. obama polled +11 on monday, which is very high, and now he's down at +2/+3 as mccain starts to get his. what will be telling is the polls on moday, which will probably be the highest point in mccain's bounce, and then the monday after, when the race will have solidified and polling will be more steady.

i just don't think palin will move him far enough.

also, there has yet to be a debate between obama and mccain... obama isn't the greatest at speaking off the cuff, but mccain has given us gems like "what's a sunni?" and "hot bottled water to dehydrated babies."

again, we'll have to wait and see.

Some of you REALLY should begin to understand something, the Party Conventions are NOT for reaching out to the other side, nor are they for discussion the issues that may, or may not be relevent to what the opposition thinks, they are for energizing the party BASE, and accepting the nomination of the Party. In fact, listening to Obama and Biden constantly whining about "they didn't talk about 'this, that, or the other thing' only serves to show that both of them are scared to death, so they're having to appeal to the Obliviots on their side of the aisle by trying to make them believe that any of that had any place in the Convention.

If you want to get into reaching out to the other side, and discussions of what the other side wants to talk about, you'll have to wait for the debates.

Werbung:
Some of you REALLY should begin to understand something, the Party Conventions are NOT for reaching out to the other side, nor are they for discussion the issues that may, or may not be relevent to what the opposition thinks, they are for energizing the party BASE, and accepting the nomination of the Party. In fact, listening to Obama and Biden constantly whining about "they didn't talk about 'this, that, or the other thing' only serves to show that both of them are scared to death, so they're having to appeal to the Obliviots on their side of the aisle by trying to make them believe that any of that had any place in the Convention.

If you want to get into reaching out to the other side, and discussions of what the other side wants to talk about, you'll have to wait for the debates.

yes, that is partially true, but the conventions are also a four-day infomercial for each party. the attention of the electorate (the informed portion of it) is rapt, so it is a great time to make the case for your candidacy. mccain and the republicans, in my estimation, did a poor job of making that case, settling instead for a talking point slobberfest that will be more off-putting to the voters he needs to persuade than anything else. the dnc actually needed to unite the base, which it did, and it also went beyond that to give specific answers to the questions people are asking. the rnc did not.

Back