Palin to pray away gays!

Popeye

Oh, man....people like this are just plain weird.

Sarah Palin's church is promoting a conference that promises to convert gays into heterosexuals through the power of prayer.

"You'll be encouraged by the power of God's love and His desire to transform the lives of those impacted by homosexuality," according to the insert in the bulletin of the Wasilla Bible Church, where Palin has prayed for about six years.

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2008Sep05/0,4670,PalinGays,00.html

Werbung:
Oh, man....people like this are just plain weird.
When I asked a minister if praying could/would change anything, he answered in the affirmative. However, given the number of people who died in Nazi concentration camps who prayed to be saved and the actual number who survived can be attributed to random chance, praying seems to be an exercise in frustration. I could list a myriad of such examples. But, "they" continue to do it. Except for Pat Robertson praying away that hurricane that time:rolleyes:, there is no apparent demonstrative evidence that it has any effect on human lives.

For those who doubt otherwise, pray that your left hand be filled, and $hit in the right and see which one becomes filled.

So we have the church of "we will pray for you" or the church of "G-d Damn America"...

Oh choices choices.... whatever shall I choose?

So we have the church of "we will pray for you" or the church of "G-d Damn America"...

Oh choices choices.... whatever shall I choose?

Well, if you're not a homosexual and don't particularly care about them, I suppose it's a pretty easy choice.

In any case: voting should not take into account the religious preferences of the candidates. If Palin wants to institute mandatory nationwide praying for homosexuals to stop being homosexuals, then we have a problem; if she wants to pray for that herself, fine, I won't be joining her but doing so herself is her choice.

From the link in the opening post:

Focus on the Family, a national Christian fundamentalist organization, is conducting the "Love Won Out" Conference in Anchorage, about 30 miles from Wasilla.

Is that the same Focus on the Family that prayed for rain on Obama's acceptance speech?

Posted by vyo476:

In any case: voting should not take into account the religious preferences of the candidates. If Palin wants to institute mandatory nationwide praying for homosexuals to stop being homosexuals, then we have a problem; if she wants to pray for that herself, fine, I won't be joining her but doing so herself is her choice.

Exactly, just as long as the president, whichever one wins, doesn't try to impose his values on the rest of us through the power of government.

Do you think it would be wrong for a mother of a homosexual child to pray that they become straight?

That's a complicated question, as I've known several who have. Most of the parents in that position that I've known have done or said things like that because they know the sort of social stigma homosexuality still carries and they don't want their children going through that. I can understand that.

As for actually praying for someone to "become straight," the issue brings up several topics. Since, personally, I don't believe that "praying" for anything accomplishes anything literal besides assuaging the individual doing the praying, I'd say that the simple act alone of praying for someone to become straight isn't a bad thing.

Throwing it in that person's face, however, can have nasty consequences. Remember, homosexuality is a state of being, and the use of "prayer" by someone close - especially a family member - against that state of being injects a quite possibly unbroached subject into the mix. Admitting to being a homosexual does not necessarily require a loss of spirituality, but when one's parents start praying for one to not be a homosexual anymore than suddenly spirituality is cast in a decidedly negative light. It generally takes a long time, a lot of effort, and a hard-fought triumph over self-doubt and fear to come out of the closet, and responding immediately with "but I don't want you to be a homosexual" belittles all that in their eyes.

I know personally a young man who struggled with his sexuality all through high school. Eventually he got up the courage to tell his family about it, and his mother didn't recieve the news well (she told him it was just a phase and that he had to grow out of it). While I wasn't privy to all the messy details of the affair, I came to understand that there was also a religious aspect to it (she told him that what he was doing was sinful, etc). Eventually they reconciled when she managed to recognize that above all else she loved her son and found it in herself to support him no matter which gender he preferred sexually, but one of the results of the mess was that he lost all but the most academic interest in religion.

That's a complicated question, as I've known several who have. Most of the parents in that position that I've known have done or said things like that because they know the sort of social stigma homosexuality still carries and they don't want their children going through that. I can understand that.

As for actually praying for someone to "become straight," the issue brings up several topics. Since, personally, I don't believe that "praying" for anything accomplishes anything literal besides assuaging the individual doing the praying, I'd say that the simple act alone of praying for someone to become straight isn't a bad thing.

Throwing it in that person's face, however, can have nasty consequences. Remember, homosexuality is a state of being, and the use of "prayer" by someone close - especially a family member - against that state of being injects a quite possibly unbroached subject into the mix. Admitting to being a homosexual does not necessarily require a loss of spirituality, but when one's parents start praying for one to not be a homosexual anymore than suddenly spirituality is cast in a decidedly negative light. It generally takes a long time, a lot of effort, and a hard-fought triumph over self-doubt and fear to come out of the closet, and responding immediately with "but I don't want you to be a homosexual" belittles all that in their eyes.

I know personally a young man who struggled with his sexuality all through high school. Eventually he got up the courage to tell his family about it, and his mother didn't recieve the news well (she told him it was just a phase and that he had to grow out of it). While I wasn't privy to all the messy details of the affair, I came to understand that there was also a religious aspect to it (she told him that what he was doing was sinful, etc). Eventually they reconciled when she managed to recognize that above all else she loved her son and found it in herself to support him no matter which gender he preferred sexually, but one of the results of the mess was that he lost all but the most academic interest in religion.

If my son told me he was homosexual, I would still love him exactly as I always have. I would question him a lot to find out if it was a phase in his case or if it was some genetic thing that he has been hiding all these years.

I would accept him but I would pray for him and I would pray a whole lot for him. My belief in scripture can not be just thrown away or tossed out or twisted to fit lifestyles, so I would be praying hard for him that things would change. but I would not stop loving him, I would not ban his boyfriend from my family or house, but i also would pray and pray hard.

I dont think there is anything wrong with Sara Palin and her church praying for homosexuals. I think it would be wrong if they denided them jobs, treated them badly or less than others, but praying for them is a nice thing to do.

And if someone else was to "pray" for you to no longer be Christian, would that too be a "nice thing to do?"

Hypothetically speaking. I don't mean to offend.

And if someone else was to "pray" for you to no longer be Christian, would that too be a "nice thing to do?"

Hypothetically speaking. I don't mean to offend.

Well I am not christian but lets say I was and someone from Islam was praying that I see the light, I would have no problem with that.

I think most religions pray that others who are not of their faith eventually come to their faith.

I would rather someone pray for me to be their faith than fight a war so I will become their faith.

I would rather someone pray for another person to be straight and not homosexual than pass laws like they tried to do in oregon against them, or refusing to hire them, or rent to them.

Praying for someone is a peaceful way to try and change situations.

Is it wrong for someone to pray that people stop aborting their children ?

Is that the same Focus on the Family that prayed for rain on Obama's acceptance speech?

I think that is disgraceful. I mean to joke while praying to God. Because that is what the guy who did it says he was doing.

If he were not joking then it would be disgraceful to want your opponent to suffer ill will.

Exactly, just as long as the president, whichever one wins, doesn't try to impose his values on the rest of us through the power of government.
Then is is a good thing that Palin has demonstrated that she can keep her personal religious beliefs out of her job.

Werbung:
Well I am not christian but lets say I was and someone from Islam was praying that I see the light, I would have no problem with that.

I think most religions pray that others who are not of their faith eventually come to their faith.

I would rather someone pray for me to be their faith than fight a war so I will become their faith.

I would rather someone pray for another person to be straight and not homosexual than pass laws like they tried to do in oregon against them, or refusing to hire them, or rent to them.

Praying for someone is a peaceful way to try and change situations.

Is it wrong for someone to pray that people stop aborting their children ?

Interesting point you have there --- agreed --- instead of finding angles to find fault in your opponent, why not keep doing what you do? Sounds pretty simple, but as long as people believe in digging dirt on everyone, it starts being a statistics game.

Back