1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

Poll: US image improves under Obama

Discussion in 'U.S. Politics' started by Popeye, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Popeye

Popeye Active Member

Under Bush we were viewed worldwide as not much more than a bully, a glamorized terrorist nation that went around the world causing more trouble than anything else...America was looked upon with disgust, by friends as well as enemies.

Obama has helped turn that around...a lot of work still needs to be done, but finally we have a president that is trusted and admired around the majority of the globe...that can only be a good thing.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2009-07-23-obama-poll_N.htm?csp=34

2. TheFranklinParty

TheFranklinParty New Member

There is a part of me that wants to agree with you 100%, but there is one thing that bothers me. Since the early 1900's we have been asked to be the policeman of the world. Yes, I said asked. Every time we have refused, there have been dire consequences and people have suffered. If we don't step in when the world goes sideways, then who will?

It is something like parenting. My brother and I had a healthy fear of our father because we knew there would be punishment for inappropriate behavior. Too many children look upon their parents as friends and in turn ignore boundaries that keep them safe.

I sure hope that, as a world leader, President Obama is building more friendships, but is also reminding them (as Teddy Roosevelt would say) that we carry a big stick.