Scotland: if the UK leave the EU....

Werbung:
I don't think it's a secret that the Scottish people are more in favour of staying in the EU than what the English are, as the polls in England are showing that it's still pretty evenly split.

Having said that, the SNP might want a new referendum to beak away from England if the votes go in favour of leaving the EU, they'll only ask for one if they are 100% sure that this time they'll win it.

They was left looking foolish last time, and if they lose another one and the Scots decide that being part of Great Britain is more important than being part of the EU, then the SNP might aswell close its doors and never be seen again, and I wouldn't have thought Sturgeon would take that risk, at least not just yet.

I don't think it's a secret that the Scottish people are more in favour of staying in the EU than what the English are, as the polls in England are showing that it's still pretty evenly split.

Having said that, the SNP might want a new referendum to beak away from England if the votes go in favour of leaving the EU, they'll only ask for one if they are 100% sure that this time they'll win it.

They was left looking foolish last time, and if they lose another one and the Scots decide that being part of Great Britain is more important than being part of the EU, then the SNP might aswell close its doors and never be seen again, and I wouldn't have thought Sturgeon would take that risk, at least not just yet.
What he said

I think that ultimately, Scotland being a part of the EU would be more beneficial to them than just being a part of GB as a whole. England can afford to be on its own, but Scotland seems to get an unfair shake economically and support wise being a part of GB, especially if it means they have to be excluded from the EU entirely to do so. Does anyone think that GB will put up a huge fuss letting go of Scotland? Do you think it could even escalate into military action?

Military action is highly unlikely I would have thought,because all it takes is for the SNP to call for another referendum. They lost the last one, and even though some Scottish might want to stay part of the EU, they value being part of the UK more so I think they'd lose this one aswell.

The EU is a very tempting economical system to join, but as they say "the grass is always greener on the other side". Right now the EU is more unstable than it's always been, some people think of it as a sinking ship, especially the whole "euro" concept and how it was applied over the years.
Independence is also very tempting, but we should consider that the UK doesn't do reckless economical moves out of whim. When you see politicians sweating over Brexit it's because they receive pressure by high profile people to evacuate the "sinking ship".
Furthermore, by the very action of leaving the UK would serve to destabilize the EU even more, so if any entity like Scotland were to join the EU at that time they would have almost zero benefit.

But that moment isn't here yet, in my opinion. I think that the UK goverment simply uses the posibility of Brexit & EU destabilization as a bargaining chip to acquire more economical autonomity from Germany, which is the de jure leader of the EU. They already managed to unhinge their national banks from the influences of german banks and EU regulations.

I think that ultimately, Scotland being a part of the EU would be more beneficial to them than just being a part of GB as a whole. England can afford to be on its own, but Scotland seems to get an unfair shake economically and support wise being a part of GB, especially if it means they have to be excluded from the EU entirely to do so. Does anyone think that GB will put up a huge fuss letting go of Scotland? Do you think it could even escalate into military action?
They claim Scotland is a.money pit but
In action they do not want scots independance.
The only war threat is financial.

After whats happened in the last 24 hours, now might be a good time to revive this thread.

There's no doubt that the whole of Scotland voted to stay in the EU, but because the UK as a whole voted out, they'll be coming out with us aswell unless they do push for their own independence again.

The question to the Scottish people will be what's most important? Being a UK citizen or being an EU citizen? And that's a question that I'm not sure people are willing to make just yet.

After whats happened in the last 24 hours, now might be a good time to revive this thread.

There's no doubt that the whole of Scotland voted to stay in the EU, but because the UK as a whole voted out, they'll be coming out with us aswell unless they do push for their own independence again.

The question to the Scottish people will be what's most important? Being a UK citizen or being an EU citizen? And that's a question that I'm not sure people are willing to make just yet.
They need to stick with UK at least until the EU disintegrates

The Scots have a bad choice. Stay with England where thy have most links or get independence and join the EU. I think it will choose the former even if the hate England.

Sometimes nations hang on to another nation for money. For instance, Puerto Rico is very different culturally than the US. In fact, one time Puerto Rican nationalists tried to kill Harry Truman. However, the island never wants independence because they get massive benefits from the US like easy immigration, food stamps, money for education etc..

As much as I love Scotland and the Scots, they have always wanted to be independent and will keep trying. Being part of the EU was an option they looked at last time and it was agreed it was not possible. Sturgeon just likes to stir things up, but it will be a waste of time and money. The EU won't take them, and how will Scotland cope without Westminster's money?

Well Nicola Sturgeon already as egg on her face after demanding talks with the EU to make sure they can stay, and say they want a second referendum, the EU have turned round and said that's not how it works. They will leave the EU at the same time as England because they are part of the UK.

They can of course rejoin the EU on their own, but they will have to abide by the new terms of which the EU have laid down. Basically they'll have to join the Euro, and on top of that set up border control's between them and England. While Scotland might have wanted to remain, I'm not sure they'll want to rejoin.

Werbung:
I find Sturgeon so annoying, because all she does is cause trouble. She says she is looking for a legal loophole to stop Brexit, but really? Scottish law is slightly different, but not in terms of elections and referendums.

Staying in the UK and being part of the EU are very different things. Scotland won't qualify for membership for at least a decade, and by that time most Scots will have left Scotland if the welfare system has been exhausted.

Back