1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

Should you be required to produce photo ID in order to vote?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by USMC the Almighty, Sep 7, 2007.

?

Should you be required to produce photo ID in order to vote?

1. Yes -- this law does nothing to prevent people who are legally entitled from voting

85.7%
  2. No -- it's wrong to only allow verified American citizens to vote

14.3%
  1. USMC the Almighty

USMC the Almighty New Member

By SHAILA DEWAN
    Published: September 7, 2007

ATLANTA, Sept. 6 — A federal judge on Thursday upheld a Georgia law requiring voters to show photo ID, clearing the way for enforcement at local elections on Sept. 18.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/07/us...in&oref=slogin

2. vyo476

vyo476 Active Member

I don't see why not, other than the possibility that it complicates the voting process and makes it move a little slower. Coming from a relatively small town where only about half the people who could vote do, it probably wouldn't adversely affect me all that much.

Anyone from a city or heavily populated area want to weight in on that?

3. drippinhun

drippinhun New Member

My wife lost her wallet last week. Before the junkie (who looked nothing like my wife) who found it was apprehended a couple of days later, she had gone on a credit card shopping spree, rented two cars, passed several checks and was given a ticket by a police officer. None of the merchants or the cop bothered to match the picture of my wife on the driver's licence to the face. What's this about a photo id again?

4. Bunz

Bunz New Member

I am somewhat of a fence sitter on this one. It would certainly cut down on voting fraud which is ultimately what should be the focus here. If the program in place can be used in such a way as to be non-discrimatory, exclusive and only for reasons to identify the person as to who they claim to be and not prevent anyone who is registered to vote and wants to vote. I would be very concerned about any law enforcement officers involved etc. I am all for letting the police do thier jobs. But getting in the way someone voting is unacceptable.

5. drippinhun

drippinhun New Member

Truth be told, we need a national identification card, along with a DNA sample that has been analysed and deposited in an archival warehouse. I would go as far as having it interface with a thorough medical history if we can ever escape from this for profit health care and health insurance scheme.

6. Bunz

Bunz New Member

While I have no real issue against a national ID card, as long as it is comprehensive enough to cover and include everything. Soc. Sec, passport, voter registration, organ donor, state drivers license etc. That being said, I am a bit skeptical of a DNA sample being warehoused simply for the sake of doing that. It is a slippery slope.

7. drippinhun

drippinhun New Member

I believe the DNA could be employed for identification purposes for everything from crime, genetic predisposition to illness, all the way to death where the body needs to be identified.

8. GODSPEED

GODSPEED New Member

The photo ID doesn't bother me...what's the big deal?

9. Pandora

Pandora Well-Known Member

In Washington State more people voted in King County than even live in King County. There was clear voter fraud. People double registering, Dead people voting exc.

In Oregon we have the biggest voter fraud in the nation. We vote by mail. You fill out a form, send it in and get a voter card in the mail. You never have to verify that you even live in Oregon, no one meets you in person or looks at any ID, you can be illegal or legal, when you vote they send a ballot in the mail and you vote and send it back. The only checking involved is they check the signature on your ballot against the signature on your registration card.

There is a whole lot of corruption in the voting system. Illegal aliens voting, Dead people voting, people voting under two different names in two different county's or states. I think photo ID is a must!

10. Federal Farmer

Federal Farmer New Member

OMG! Big Brother here we come. Why not just have them tatoo a bar code into your forehead while you're at it?

11. Pandora

Ugh! leave me out! that sounds like the nwo

I will go live in a freakin tree first!

12. BigRob

BigRob Well-Known Member

Crazy Hippies :p

13. Pandora

I will throw litter from the tree and recite bible quotes so I can not be mistake for a tree hugger.

Oh and I will wear a WWJD band on one hand and a WWRD on the other

Then they will know I am not a hippie, just scared of the NWO :D

I take that back, I know hippies who litter, so I will just carry a gun and look bitter!

14. top gun

top gun New Member

From what I understand people really like the mail in voting in Oregon.

First you'd have to be at that address you say you live at to get the ballot sent to you to fill out in the first place. Then you have to sign it and have that match the signature on your voter registration file.

Here in Ohio you have to show an ID or a recently paid utility bill. The address on that bill must match your voting address and your signature must match that on file.

Now days voter fraud is tiny and certainly has no effect at all on national elections in anyway whatsoever. I'm more concerned that we encourage people TO vote.