The Pope Resigns

Dawkinrocks might be right. The Pope job is too hard for a ordinary man. But with good help there have been many good and effective Popes. I hope this will happen in the future. Dogtower I am not sure ex Pope Benedict broke any rules. He was just too old and sick to clean up the mess. I hope the next Pope will be young and fit, rely on God and able to see the problems objectively and punish those who break the rules no matter who thy age.
Steveox, I agree having no back up system will be good. The Pope will have no influence of who his successor is. He unlike ex Presidents has made a vow to obey his successor.

pope ben could only so much regarding sexual shennigans for any number of reasons not the least of which.is pushback from the bishops and cardinals. he does not rule absolutly. i do think he did as well as could be expevted. nobody will do better irrespective of age because the real reason for their.very measured response is a monitary one.

Werbung:
I guess you were drunk when you wrote that?

The pope is a con man who lives in luxury whilst his church takes money from the poor

His followers are largely poor, superstitious, badly educated, gullible people

The better educated a nation becomes the less religious it becomes and people are deserting the RC church in droves as they open their eyes to what a cess pit it is

In my mind, the purpose of all religions is to lead or inspire someone on the path to God and Heaven. That should be a matter of character and ethics. "Do unto other as you would have someone do to you."

The Catholic Church and the Pope seems to be a massive array of traditions and rules that are far from helping someone be a good Christian. Should the Pope marry? Handing out condoms is similar to abortion.

All of the ceremony is way to complex and unnecessary if the goal is to be a good person in the eyes of God.

Somehow, all this complexity makes it very difficult for me to accept the Catholic Church or the direct decent of Saint Peter - the Pope. I have a personal God which leads me on the path to be a good person. Very simple and very believable.

I guess you were drunk when you wrote that?

The pope is a con man who lives in luxury whilst his church takes money from the poor

His followers are largely poor, superstitious, badly educated, gullible people

The better educated a nation becomes the less religious it becomes and people are deserting the RC church in droves as they open their eyes to what a cess pit it is

i assume you are smoking crack when you pen your silliness.

In my mind, the purpose of all religions is to lead or inspire someone on the path to God and Heaven. That should be a matter of character and ethics. "Do unto other as you would have someone do to you."

The Catholic Church and the Pope seems to be a massive array of traditions and rules that are far from helping someone be a good Christian. Should the Pope marry? Handing out condoms is similar to abortion.

All of the ceremony is way to complex and unnecessary if the goal is to be a good person in the eyes of God.

Somehow, all this complexity makes it very difficult for me to accept the Catholic Church or the direct decent of Saint Peter - the Pope. I have a personal God which leads me on the path to be a good person. Very simple and very believable.
Hoboi, If you are happy with your religion there is no need to change.All religions try to lead people to God. The Catholic Church has complex traditions that suit some people. However you can still have a Personal God. The ceremony is not necessary to be a good person but helps some.

Hobo demonstrates how people have a tendency to want to invent gods

It is a comfort blanket for adults who have never grown up and can't accept the reality that you are born, you die and there is no evidence of anything beyond that

My view is the opposite of pascal's wager

I do not believe in god. If there is a god this means I am not going to heaven

But a place full of Christians and a god who drowns babies for other people's crimes would be hell for me

So it is better to not believe in the monster of mythology called god

The devil actually seems a lot more reasonable than god any way

Aus you seem to be wilfully ignorant of the huge amount of evil perpetrated by the RC chuch

I see the Cardinal in London has had to resign for his predatory behaviour towards other men

The US cardinal who is part of the conclave played a massive part in covering up industrial scale paedophilia amongst his priests

But the population of the Philipines are largely very poor and superstitious and these are the environments for the vicious lies of religion to flourish in

Take off your blinkers and accept that whilst the RC church parades a few good deeds to make suckers ignore huge amount of criminal behaviour it routinely indulges in

The pope is a ludicrous figure worthy only if ridicule

The Scots wouldn't be too pleased to hear you say their Cardinal was in London. It is my Country, where there are very few Roman Catholics, that is linked with London in the organisation they set up at the Papal Aggression in the Nineteenth Century for 'Englandt-and-Whales', which like all such lumpings, gives great offence. The key point about the RC Church is its obsession with obedience, which makes priests slaves of bishops and children slaves of priests. There is huge variation between RCs - friends of mine say things like 'Good God - what parent would leave a child alone with a priest?' or, 'Well, since they aren't supposed to get off with boys or women they keep 'em half-cut and give 'em plenty of fags to smoke instead', whereas in Ireland they used to get 'em mixed up with God, Who tended to come out as a rather inferior figure. The hatred of women and the lack of care for 'these little ones' except as grovel-fodder makes for deep, deep dishonesty - which doesn't mean, of course, that some saints don't grow up like flowers out of the smaelly old mess. I can't see how such evil nonsense can go on much longer though. Child abuse can take various forms: other friends told me about being beaten terribly by sadistic nuns, and as to the Christian Brothers, the less said the better!

LOLO2, I agree with your last line that sexual abuse is link to the strict discipline policies of certain orders of Nuns and Brothers. However happen work with them I can say there were some saints. These Irish religious were given an impossible task of training boys with little teacher training and little money.
Today they would be fully trained teachers.

While obedience is important Catholics today would not be so ready to trust the religious, I think the Pope treatment of Cardinal OÇco'norr shows it now harder to get away with these things

LOLO2, I agree with your last line that sexual abuse is link to the strict discipline policies of certain orders of Nuns and Brothers. However happen work with them I can say there were some saints. These Irish religious were given an impossible task of training boys with little teacher training and little money.
Today they would be fully trained teachers.

While obedience is important Catholics today would not be so ready to trust the religious, I think the Pope treatment of Cardinal OÇco'norr shows it now harder to get away with these things

While the Pope is the leader of the RCC he is not a dictator but rather the guy God wants handling the day to day busywork. Couple that with the generally loving and forgiving nature of men of the cloth and you simply will not see some sort of jackboot on the necks of the ones who screed up so horridly. Its not how they roll. It would be more satisfying if they were but it would not be who they are or what they believe..

Considering that the incidence of such hijinks is more or less the same as among the overall population its kind of silly how the rabidly anti religious feign such horror at what they do themselves (proportionally speaking).

Let's not forget that god doesn't exist

The RcC is built on a myth

Its adherents queue up to worship bits of wood and old bones

Lolo, that is the key point

The fact that a vicious dictatorial myth based method of controlling and impoverishing people also gets involved in beatings and sexual abuse shouldn't be that surprising

Its the first time a pope resigned in 600 years. 600 years ago Columbus and America werent born yet. In fact 600 years ago all indians lived on our land.

Steveox, It is true a pope resigning is a unique event. There is no precedent. So it is hard to say how long it will take to elect a new Pope. It is interesting that Poe Benedict proclaimed an American Indian as a saint.

Steveox, It is true a pope resigning is a unique event. There is no precedent. So it is hard to say how long it will take to elect a new Pope. It is interesting that Poe Benedict proclaimed an American Indian as a saint.

There IS precedent, you just have to go back a ways. I would imagine it will take about the same amount of time to find a new pope as it always does (on average). Nothing all that different apart from the funeral.

There IS precedent, you just have to go back a ways. I would imagine it will take about the same amount of time to find a new pope as it always does (on average). Nothing all that different apart from the funeral.

Doesn't the College of Cardinals have to wait 15 days after the Pope dies/resigns before they meet to start picking the new Pope?

Werbung:
Back