Which home is safer?

Little-Acorn

whichissafer.JPG

Werbung:
Our home was robbed twice, when we lived in the old house. Both times it was by neighbors, teenagers, who watched our house and knew when we did our comings and goings, and they knew no one was home. Having or not having a gun would have been a non-issue, since they knew when we were gone and on one was at home.

What would have made a difference would have been more secure doors and windows, which could not easily be broken and used to gain entrance, so we replaced our doors and windows with more secure versions.

what house is more likey to have someone killed or injured from a gun....based on stats I belive the one on the left...the NRA house

But since gun ownership is a constitutional right it makes no sense to try to stop people from owning them through legal means.

It does make sense to have people lock up their guns so they can't accidentally be used irresponsibly.

It does make sense for criminals to wonder if the next home they pick just might have an owner with a loaded gun in his hand.

If they know that no one is home, it does not matter.

Strong windows and doors, a burglar alarm, and maybe a dog, if you really have a problem.

Some people like guns, some people don't, but their benefits in defending a home are dubious, unless one's home is under armed attack.

I live in a major metropolitan area, and the number of times that an armed attack on someone's home has occurred in the past 40 years in this area can be counted with the fingers of one hand, and are far out-numbered by the number of murders committed by trigger happy defenders of their homes.

Leaving cars outside, however, can lead to both theft and vandalism. We had a friend who once had the radiator stolen out of their car.

If they know that no one is home, it does not matter.
That is true, except that both the homes would be 100% safe if no one is home.

Some people like guns, some people don't, but their benefits in defending a home are dubious, unless one's home is under armed attack.

The benefits of defending a home with a gun are dubious. But the only thing that matters in that equation is whether or not the defender has a gun. If the attacker does not have a gun that does not matter.
I live in a major metropolitan area, and the number of times that an armed attack on someone's home has occurred in the past 40 years in this area can be counted with the fingers of one hand, and are far out-numbered by the number of murders committed by trigger happy defenders of their homes.

It really does not matter how many times a home was attacked by an armed attack since a gun would be equally effective against an unarmed attack.

And I bet if you look up how many times guns successfuly defend a home you will be surprised.

Since you admit that home attacks happen often (when you said far outnumered), and since the gun would be useful even if the attcker is not armed then then all we have to worry about is how many times those defenders murder their attackers. I personally am not too concerned about home attackers that get murdered in the process.

The people most likely to break in your home are the cops and the DEA, who often brreak into the wrong homes. They have far more offensive weaponry than any citizen, and they can't be stopped. Remember Ruby Ridge.

I did not say that home attacks happened often. I said they were extremely rare, in a major metropolitan area. Call the cops with your cell phone if attacked. Call your neighbors.

As for the far out-numbered quote I made, I was recalling a recent incident in which a local official shot and wounded two innocent men delivering furniture to his home. Did you miss the words 'trigger happy'?
Anyone who conducts an armed attack on a home in this area is both crazy and of limited intelligence, because many, many people will both hear and see it occur, and the cops will be there very soon, because something about the sound of breaking and entering strong doors and windows draws a lot of attention. If you have a problem, keep the cops phone number nearby, get strong doors and windows, and lock up.

If you love guns, you are welcome to them, but don't bother with the rationalization that they make you any safer in your home.

But since gun ownership is a constitutional right it makes no sense to try to stop people from owning them through legal means.

It does make sense to have people lock up their guns so they can't accidentally be used irresponsibly.

It does make sense for criminals to wonder if the next home they pick just might have an owner with a loaded gun in his hand.

Never said they cant have one, just that its more likey it will be used against them then ever protect them,

My neighbor had a teenage son who ran around with some hoody kids. They broke a window on the front door and opened the door when no one was home. The second time, again when no one was home, they broke a window in the cellar to get in. Once, years later, he stole the license plates off my car because he was out of work and had lost his own tags. I felt sorry for him and let him off when he was caught and we went to court. Thank you please, Dr Who, I don't want be known as someone who shot my neighbor's kids, even if they are lowlifes.

Well, enough subject changing and strawman answers. Time to point out the real answer.

The home on the right (with the target) is safer, because home-invaders are far more likely to skip it entirely and go elsewhere. The one on the left (with the no-guns sign), though, is just the kind of place the home-invaders like the most: One likely with victims who can't fight back and hurt them.

"Gun control laws are the criminal's OSHA. They provide him a safe working environment."

Why do you people who love guns keep trying to force gun ownership on people like me who don't want them? Can't you live and let live?

Guns laws have nothing to do with home safety, as I have stated, based on my own experiences. Are you people incapable of listening, or reading, except what you want to hear?

Why do you people who love guns keep trying to force gun ownership on people like me who don't want them? Can't you live and let live?

Guns laws have nothing to do with home safety, as I have stated, based on my own experiences. Are you people incapable of listening, or reading, except what you want to hear?

because they are needy 8 year old children.

Well, enough subject changing and strawman answers. Time to point out the real answer.

The home on the right (with the target) is safer, because home-invaders are far more likely to skip it entirely and go elsewhere. The one on the left (with the no-guns sign), though, is just the kind of place the home-invaders like the most: One likely with victims who can't fight back and hurt them.

"Gun control laws are the criminal's OSHA. They provide him a safe working environment."

where is the straw man? only one I saw was directed at me when I never said anything about taking away guns.

Alright! A new gun issue thread. The last serious one we had went something like 500 posts...

Anyways, despite being known as a lefty around here, I am I guess you could say
"pro-gun". While I have never been a member of the NRA, I am a member of a number of other conservation/hunting advocacy groups. So my house would certainly be the one on the right.

Living in a rural area is a bit different for me. The biggest brown bears on the planet are a constant issue where I live. So most houses, vehicles, and individuals are armed in some way, at least in the summer. That being said...

I dont have a key to my front door. It hasnt been really locked in years. My keys havent really been out of my ignition since I bought the truck quite a few years ago. While there might be some notable contrasts here with life in many places in the lower 48, the way kids are taught about guns is entirely different and much more appropriate.

There are some unintended consequences, accidents with guns do happen. The effort needs to be in mitigating that. Which means that the vast majority of people, urban or rural knows how to make a gun safe, or recognize and distinguish what gun is potentially loaded or is safe.

I also think it is important for fairly young kids to understand that the capacity in a gun could be death, or serious injury. Which means kids witnessing or participating in hunting would have a better understanding of the power of some firearms. While it is also an important biology lesson.

Then of course there is the sport and recreation shooting. Personally I casually compete in a number of shooting sports. Trap, Skeet, Sporting clays with the shotgun.
Small and large bore with pistol and rifle. That of course is on top of my consistent hunting.

These activities are genuine fun. Kinda like bowling or darts, or well anything that is a recreational hobby.

For now, I will leave everyone with this.

Guns arent dangerous, people are.

Werbung:
I didn't give you a strawman answer, but you people are trigger happy militants. I've never heard of anyone putting up a no guns here sign, so your example is a strawman. Strong doors and windows and a phone call to the police will solve the problem.

Back