A good book you've read recently?

"Invitation to a Beheading" by Vladimir Nabokov and "As I Lay Dying" by William Faulkner are excellent books. And "Beloved" by Toni Morrison is one of if not the best book of the twentieth century.

Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein" and Tim O'Brien's "The Things They Carried" are both also excellent reads.

Werbung:
"Invitation to a Beheading" by Vladimir Nabokov and "As I Lay Dying" by William Faulkner are excellent books. And "Beloved" by Toni Morrison is one of if not the best book of the twentieth century.

Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein" and Tim O'Brien's "The Things They Carried" are both also excellent reads.

I know this is heresy since I have a minor in english from the University of Mississippi, but I never really liked much of Faulker's works. "As I Lay Dying" gets so confusing with the perspective shifts that it lost me so often that I couldnt really get into it.

Programming the Universe - Seth Lloyd

I read that and enjoyed it. His writing style and mode of delivery reminds me somewhat of Stephen Hawking. As you read you get the idea that you are right on the edge of understanding the subject in much the same way as the author and then WHAM, they hit you with some off the wall bit of iniformation that makes you realize that you are as far away from understanding the universe on their level as your dog is from understanding how electric lights work on your level.

I know this is heresy since I have a minor in english from the University of Mississippi, but I never really liked much of Faulker's works. "As I Lay Dying" gets so confusing with the perspective shifts that it lost me so often that I couldnt really get into it.

It's hardly heresy. We all have our particular likes and dislikes and I happen to be a big fan of Faulkner. But if you think his perspective shifts are confusing, try reading some Morrison; her books are amazing but really, really tough to read because of how difficult it is to tell who is speaking.

I read "As I Lay Dying" as part of a lit class called "Literature and Madness," in which we then read Morrison's "The Bluest Eye." It left me really, really loving the fact that Faulkner at least bothered to put the name of who was narrating at the beginning of each chapter.

"Suicide" by Emile Durkheim. It isn't a novel; it's actually his doctoral dissertation about the four types of suicide, their causes, and the information he used to back up his claims. I'm pretty sure the old stereotype about German efficiency was about Durkheim, as the book is ridiculously thorough. One of the footnotes is so large that there is only enough room for two lines of body text on the page.

Power, Faith, and Fantasy: America in the Middle East: 1776 to the Present. A good read if you're interested in how the United States and the Middle East have influenced each other during our history as a country.

Power, Faith, and Fantasy: America in the Middle East: 1776 to the Present. A good read if you're interested in how the United States and the Middle East have influenced each other during our history as a country.

Wow.

That's pretty cool.

How did the US and Middle East influence each other?

The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl
by: Timothy Egan

Description:
"The Worst Hard Time is an epic story of blind hope and endurance almost beyond belief; it is also, as Tim Egan has told it, a riveting tale of bumptious charlatans, conmen, and tricksters, environmental arrogance and hubris, political chicanery, and a ruinous ignorance of nature's ways. Egan has reached across the generations and brought us the people who played out the drama in this devastated land, and uses their voices to tell the story as well as it could ever be told." — Marq de Villiers, author of Water: The Fate of Our Most Precious Resource

The dust storms that terrorized America's High Plains in the darkest years of the Depression were like nothing ever seen before or since, and the stories of the people that held on have never been fully told. Pulitzer Prize–winning New York Times journalist and author Timothy Egan follows a half-dozen families and their communities through the rise and fall of the region, going from sod homes to new framed houses to huddling in basements with the windows sealed by damp sheets in a futile effort to keep the dust out. He follows their desperate attempts to carry on through blinding black blizzards, crop failure, and the deaths of loved ones. Drawing on the voices of those who stayed and survived—those who, now in their eighties and nineties, will soon carry their memories to the grave—Egan tells a story of endurance and heroism against the backdrop of the Great Depression.

Werbung:
Back