Best Military commander of all time

hah..sorry. i guess im still pissed at that lame movie that came out. Now everyone cant stop talking about Leonidas and his brave spartan warriors.

Makes me vomit everytime I hear about it. :D

Thats OK,I thought it was a huge waste of film and a seriously bad distortion of history.

As for me being an amateur,you are correct.
I am an amateur historian,especially military history.
There are meny people out there that know more about the subject then I do,but I am simply expressing my opinion,nothing more.

Werbung:
Wooooh hold on!

Sure, there will be people who think that Xerxes was this huge Right Said Fred-look-a-like who conquered the world in a tiny golden thong, but I assume most people will just think "cool" and a tiny portion might actually go on line (or even pick up a book :) ) on what actually happened there!

Just because there's a comic book about the guy doesn't mean he's a bad general! I liked the story back in high school and I still like it! And taken on its own merit, the movie was pretty cool too.

Thats OK,I thought it was a huge waste of film and a seriously bad distortion of history.

As for me being an amateur,you are correct.
I am an amateur historian,especially military history.
There are meny people out there that know more about the subject then I do,but I am simply expressing my opinion,nothing more.

Personally I think 'best general of all time' is not quite accurate enough -

if you mean millitary commanders and success on the field then Napoleon, Hannible Heinz Gaderian, Alexander, and Wellington would be my top five.

If you are talking political longevity then Ceaser, Wellington, Cromwell, and Carl Gustav of Sweden would be my top four.

Another way of looking at it would be who has had the most impact on history - well Alexander carved out an empire that collapsed after he dies, Gaderian had no long lasting impact, Napoleon's empire also collapsed after his exile, Cromwell's hard work was undone after his death as well, likewise with Carl Gustav, so this leaves a toss up between Ceaser and Wellington.

The Roman empire in the west was build on Ceasers conquests, and the latin cultures in France and Spain can be attributed to his success. His legacy has lasted over 2000 years.

Wellington's victory at Waterloo enabled Old Europe to regroup, and avoid another continent wide war for 102 years (WWI) - he also enabled the UK to bring in reforms that averted a millitant revolution in this country (as he said it was 'a close run thing'). His vicotries on the continent enabled Britain to secure her empire overseas, and arguably enabled the modern world to develop as they have, with America and English the main cultural forces in the world.

Ultimately I would have to say that Ceaser in the best millitary commander of all time, purely based on his abillity to control both the army and the senate, and leave a lasting legacy.

I can think of at least 3 more people that would fall into this category,but they werent considered "military" men.
Yet 2 of these men led what might have been the finest light cavalry in the world at the time,and the third was a master of guerilla warfare,so good that his tactics are still beoing taught today.
Any student of military history should recognize the names Crazy Horse,Sitting Bull,and Geronimo.

Although not the greatest (I'm not the kind to wear an emblazened t-shirt of him), and whatever people may feel about his justifications, Che Guevera deserves an honourable mention.

Although not the greatest (I'm not the kind to wear an emblazened t-shirt of him), and whatever people may feel about his justifications, Che Guevera deserves an honourable mention.

That's going to stir up the pot a bit, but as a guerilla leader, he was effective.

Werbung:
Another way of looking at it would be who has had the most impact on history - well Alexander carved out an empire that collapsed after he dies, Gaderian had no long lasting impact, Napoleon's empire also collapsed after his exile, Cromwell's hard work was undone after his death as well, likewise with Carl Gustav, so this leaves a toss up between Ceaser and Wellington.

Napoleon took Europe by the neck and gave it a good, hard shake. The rest of the 19th Century took its cues from Napoleon - either by going against him (Congress of Vienna) or by taking his liberal, populist ideals to new levels (Karl Marx).

There might not have been another continent-wide war until 1914, but socially speaking the Europe of 1914 was indistinguishable from the Europe of 1815 - and you have Napoleon to thank for that.

Back