Can Islam Be Reformed?

Gipper

I think not. It is a militant force made up of three parts. Religion, politics and culture. If it won't accept reform peacefully, it ultimately must be defeated militarily.

I do not know if we are headed for a show down with Islam in the near future, but many experts thank that is what's coming.

Everyone with a functioning brain knows the so called Arab Spring is a bunch of BS. In reality, it is an Arab Winter.

Great column by the Great Dennis Prager...he thinks Islam can be reformed.

Can Islam Be Reformed?

The question is in no way meant to be provocative, let alone insulting. But the world, including vast numbers of Muslims, needs this question answered.
After having studied Arabic at college and lectured on comparative religion for decades, and having devoted years to writing my upcoming book comparing American values with leftist and Islamist values, I have become convinced of two things regarding Islam: It must be reformed, and it can be reformed.
Both suppositions are highly controversial. Few believing Muslims think that Islam needs to be reformed; the suggestion would strike most religious Muslims as absurd, if not insulting and ultimately blasphemous. And it would strike many non-Muslim critics of Islam as naive. As Lord Cromer, British consul-general in Egypt from 1883 to 1907, put it in a quote known to all Western students of Islam, "Islam reformed is Islam no longer."
Let's deal first with the question of whether Islam needs reforming.
The case for it is compelling. Here are a few reasons:
-- Majority-Muslim and Islam-based countries are not, and have not been, free societies. According to the 2010 Freedom House "Freedom in the World" survey, of the world's 47 Muslim-majority countries, only two are free, 18 are partly free, and 27 are not free. There is no honest explanation for this nearly total absence of liberty in Muslim countries that does not reflect in some way on Islam.
-- Muslim treatment of Jews and Christians in places like medieval Spain was morally far superior to the treatment of non-Christians by European Christians during the same period. But in the modern period, nowhere that Islam has controlled has afforded non-Muslims anywhere near the equality that non-Christians have taken for granted in the Christian world.
-- There was a burst of intellectual and scientific creativity in the Muslim world for a few hundred years, but then the opponents of reason came to dominate Islam, and with it came a loss of scientific and intellectual curiosity.
How could it have been otherwise? The dominant Muslim view was that the natural world had no laws. Everything that occurred did so solely because Allah willed it. If an arrow hit its target, it was not because of the archer's ability or wind patterns or laws of physics; it was because Allah willed it.
According to a United Nations report written by Arab scholars, the Arab world's lack of interest in the non-Arab and non-Muslim worlds is so great that in any given year comparatively tiny Greece translates more books into Greek than all the Arab countries combined translate into Arabic.
-- Regarding women, one cannot name a culture or religion in which the status of women is as low as it is in many Muslim societies. Moreover, the status of women has actually declined in many Muslim societies in the present generation. For example, the veil is more common in Egypt today than it was a hundred years ago.
-- In nearly every Muslim country in which non-Muslims live (usually Christians) -- from Nigeria to Egypt to Iraq -- they suffer persecution.
-- A very small percentage of Muslims are terrorists. But nearly every international terrorist is Muslim. And according to every poll I have seen, at least 70 million of the world's more than a billion Muslims support Islamist actions and theology.

-- Every state that calls itself an Islamic Republic and rules according to Islamic law is a totalitarian state, and it is usually a bloodthirsty one. Saudi Arabia is an example of the first; Taliban Afghanistan, Islamist Iran and Islamist Sudan are examples of both.
So, yes, Islam needs to be reformed. This is no insult to Muslims. Judaism and Christianity have undergone major changes. And needed to.
Can Islam be reformed? I do not agree with Lord Cromer. I believe it can.
http://www.dennisprager.com/columns.aspx?g=0b9e88d9-9f51-4851-9b85-bbf99a1d2d1d&url=can_islam_be_reformed

Werbung:
I hope this is not too long, but I found it very interesting.

Kalb, or dog, is one of the worst possible insults in the Muslim world. Call a man Kalb or Kalb ibn Kalb, if you want the knives to come out. In Afghanistan, those who fled the Taliban and returned to help the Coalition rebuild the country are called “Sag shouey” or “Dog washers” since Americans are infidel dogs and the Afghans who cooperate with Americans are menial servants of the dogs.

Mohammed, in addition to his affinity for pre-teen girls also had a compulsive hatred of dogs. Some Hadiths quote him ordering the killing of all dogs, others show him to be moderate ordering that only “‘black dogs” be killed. Which gives a special edge to the not uncommon description in the Muslim world of Obama as a “black dog”.

After Osama bin Laden’s execution, an imam of the Al-Aqsa mosque castigated the “Western dogs” who had done it. And as it turned out a dog actually did accompany the SEAL team that took down Osama. Unlike the billions spent on trying to win over Pakistanis and Afghans, who went on aiding terrorists anyway– the dogs remained true and loyal friends.

On September 11th, among the first responders were our four footed friends who risked their lives clambering around the smoking rubble in search of survivors. Muslims believe that an angel cannot enter a home when a dog is inside. But after the Muslims had killed thousands of Americans, it was the dogs who acted as the angels finding the bodies where they could and helping give the families of the dead something to bury.

In Afghanistan, Muslim Dogophobia can actually be an advantage for the people who befriend dogs instead of trying to mutilate them because a seventh century pedophile claimed they were unclean.

“Dogs can be used to pacify an unruly group of people — particularly in the Middle East,” says one New York Times article, while avoiding specifying who that unruly group of people may be, and why they need pacifying.In the UK, Muslims have gotten themselves exempted from contact with bomb sniffing dogs on religious grounds– if they can only find a reason why metal detectors are also against their religion, then the sky is theirs.

When Muslims plot terrorist attacks, it is the bomb sniffing dogs who serve as the front line of defense against them. Military dogs walk the front lines searching out Taliban explosives and have become primary targets of enemy snipers. At airports, we would do much better to fire the TSA’s gropers and luggage thieves, and dump the naked scanners, and replace them with dogs. The enemy may fool our politicians, our clergy and our law enforcement– but they will never fool a dog.

How can a dog tell the difference between a Muslim and a non-Muslim even when there are no racial or ethnic differences? There may be no physical differences, but there are moral ones. It may be the casual cruelty that Islam inculcates in its followers that is as visible in the body language and attitude to a sensitive animal– as a gun is to an airport metal detector.

In Iran, visitors tell of dogs who could distinguish between Zoroastrians and Muslims; “In Sharifabad the dogs distinguished clearly between Moslem and Zoroastrian, and were prepared to go…full of hope, into a crowded Zoroastrian assembly, or to fall asleep trustfully in a Zoroastrian lane, but would flee as before Satan from a group of Moslem boys.”

In the Islamic Republic of Iran, the dog is still a particular object of Muslim hatred. In Tehran an Islamic judge sentenced a 70 year old man to four months in jail and thirty lashes for walking his dog. And the parliament is once again tackling a law to outlaw dogs for posing a “cultural problem”.

This particular “cultural problem” has been exported with Islamic immigration as cabbies deny rides to the blind because their seeing eye dogs will keep angels out of their cabs. Blind passengers have been thrown off public buses by Muslim bus drivers and disabled people in all walks of life have faced harassment due to Islamic ‘Dogophobia’ which translates easily into bigotry against disabled people.

The “cultural problem” doesn’t begin or end with dogs. One Hadith states; “When one of you prays without a sutrah, a dog, an ass, a pig, a Jew, a Magian, and a woman cut off his prayer.” Along with Dogophobia, the teachings of Islam also cultivate Anti-Semitism and Sexism. All far more serious problems than the constant defensive refrain of Islamophobia taken up by Muslim groups and their media panderers.

It is not the dogs alone who are treated this way in Afghanistan or the rest of the Muslim world. Casual mutilation and killing are suffered by women who have acid thrown in their faces, whose noses are cut off and whose murders often go unpunished. The same could be said of Jews, until the majority of the Jewish populations of the Muslim world fled to Israel, America and Europe– only to be followed there by the same warped culture of cruelty which says that Allah listens to the prayers of murderers and rapists– but not of dog owners.

In Afghanistan, dogs know to escape their “cultural problem” by taking refuge with Western soldiers. In Kandahar, former home of Osama bin Laden, one dog was beaten by a crowd, stabbed in the chest, had his ears cut off and thrown under a car– until he was rescued by British and Aussie soldiers.

The article states that many of the locals “despise dogs only marginally less than they do coalition soldiers”, but that dog’s “refusal to submit became legendary” around the base. There is something to be learned from a creature who refuses to submit to the violence of a creed that calls for his death. A Muslim is literally one who submits and a Dhimmi is one who submits to a Muslim. We who do not bow to Allah or to Muslims can learn from the resilience of a simple animal in the face of evil.In early 1956, a Nepalese traveler in New Delhi lost his dog whom he had innocently named Mohammed. “Lost, from the Hindustan Hotel, one fox breed dog, brown color, long hair, answers to name Muhammad.” Local Muslims greeted the ad with the usual level of tolerance and restraint they are well known for. Thousands of them gathered in the streets, the newspaper apologized for the ad and the owner was arrested for insulting Mohammed, not the dog, but the man.

Yet is it Mohammed who should be insulted for being associated with a dog, or the dog who should be insulted for being associated with a mass murderer, rapist and pedophile?

A dog is loyal, Mohammed betrayed those who trusted him to keep his word. A dog learns the rules and follows them, Mohammed invented his laws and violated them whenever he saw something he wanted– such as his son’s wife. But most of all a dog loves honestly and truly. Islam teaches its followers the violent cruelty of the animal, but suppresses the natural affection, the sense of joy that living things are meant to have.

From the dogs who walk the front lines in Afghanistan to the rescue dogs who took the lead at Ground Zero, to the animals who are tortured and murdered every day in the Muslim world– we can learn courage, loyalty and friendship. While the media insists on telling us how much we can learn from Islam– there is more of goodness, decency and honor to be learned from a dog, than there is from the entire Koran.

http://frontpagemag.com/2011/09/16/islamic-dogophobia-and-our-canine-heroes/

look people who know nothing about Islam trying to pretend they know anything about Islam..

Please enlighten us with your great knowledge of Islam. And, please let us know what is wrong with the posts above.

Could you also tell us why many on the left have aligned with radical Islam?

Could it be as simple as...the enemy of my enemy is my friend?

Please enlighten us with your great knowledge of Islam. And, please let us know what is wrong with the posts above.

POS claims to have "dated" a Muslim. Certainly representative of all Muslims.

Tell us about Zoroastrianism. And while you're at it POS tell us all about the history of Iran that you seem to think you know so well. I'm not talking about what ANYBODY can read in a book. Tell us about the people and what they feel.

Tell us what you know!

Could you document that statement: why many on the left have aligned with radical Islam[?/B]

I do not know of ANYONE on the LEft that "aligns with radical Islam," but I know a lot of people on the Right who align with "radical Christianity!"

Could you document that statement: why many on the left have aligned with radical Islam[?/B]

I do not know of ANYONE on the LEft that "aligns with radical Islam," but I know a lot of people on the Right who align with "radical Christianity!"

You are such a joy.

First...read this to see that many on the left have aligned with radical Islam.
http://www.amazon.com/Unholy-Alliance-Radical-Islam-American/dp/089526076X

You might also do a little research on the Gaza Flotilla. You will find that many on those boats were radical western leftists and they continue in their efforts to undermine Israel.

Secondly, is your second comment silliness or do you really believe in such a thing as "radical Christianity?"

You are such a joy.

You might also do a little research on the Gaza Flotilla. You will find that many on those boats were radical western leftists and they continue in their efforts to undermine Israel.

Secondly, is your second comment silliness or do you really believe in such a thing as "radical Christianity?"

I hope the link show how obamas buddy the domestic terrorist bill ayers and his lovely wife are very pro radical Islam and part of the illegal flotilla

I hope the link show how obamas buddy the domestic terrorist bill ayers and his lovely wife are very pro radical Islam and part of the illegal flotilla

Yes, I believe the book does discuss Ayers and Dohrn and their involvement with radical Islam. Both are disgusting anti-Semitic commies with strong ties to BO.

Its so nice to know this about the POTUS.

your talking about if it can be reformed...as if you have the knowledge to know or even make a educated guess...I would be shocked if you even know the difference from a Shia, and a Sunni without going to look it up.

I don't claim to be a expert on it, I would say I have knowledge of it.

as for your idea that liberals side with Islam as the enemy of your enemy...you forget ...to you anyone who does not agree with you...is a liberal.. thus the most radical conservative branch of Islam...you would call liberal...because you don't have a clue what liberal means, or I doubt much about Islam. The only knowledge you have of Islam I am willing to bet comes from terrorist ( who often know about as much about Islam as you do) and from right wing Christian sites that attack it and pull things out of context and have no real study of the faith...

I am not of any religion, and I think all are very flawed and I support none...But I don't think that a Muslim is a Muslim is a Muslim...any more then all Christians are the same or even believe the same things.

your talking about if it can be reformed...as if you have the knowledge to know or even make a educated guess...I would be shocked if you even know the difference from a Shia, and a Sunni without going to look it up.

I don't claim to be a expert on it, I would say I have knowledge of it.

as for your idea that liberals side with Islam as the enemy of your enemy...you forget ...to you anyone who does not agree with you...is a liberal.. thus the most radical conservative branch of Islam...you would call liberal...because you don't have a clue what liberal means, or I doubt much about Islam. The only knowledge you have of Islam I am willing to bet comes from terrorist ( who often know about as much about Islam as you do) and from right wing Christian sites that attack it and pull things out of context and have no real study of the faith...

I am not of any religion, and I think all are very flawed and I support none...But I don't think that a Muslim is a Muslim is a Muslim...any more then all Christians are the same or even believe the same things.

You have proven you know little about Islam in the multiple threads in which we have discuss the intolerant and murderous ideology.

You actually believe there is no difference between Christianity and Islam as you stated in the Islamic Denial thread. That is proof you know little about either religion, but you are in good company with many other radical leftists including your girl friend Fat Rosie.

You have proven you know little about Islam in the multiple threads in which we have discuss the intolerant and murderous ideology.

You actually believe there is no difference between Christianity and Islam as you stated in the Islamic Denial thread. That is proof you know little about either religion, but you are in good company with many other radical leftists including your girl friend Fat Rosie.

well played, you almost used evidence there, along with your straw man..almost.

Where have I said there is no difference.? I find that odd because one thinks Mohammad was a Prophet and the Jesus was a earlier one but not that he was God..while the other thinks nothing of Mohammad and thinks Jesus is God..
That said both are Monotheist Regions that stem from the same Roots, Both have Radicals, both have killed many many many people in there name...Both have very good people as well.and both can be used to justify just about anything the reader wants...and both are in my view...wrong...

then again I sometimes forget...you think that stating your view = proof.

2 plus 2 = 5...its true not because I proved it, but by the fact I said it!

Werbung:
You are such a joy.

Oh!!! That source of information: Horowitz! A very "unbiased" source, obviously! A Jewish/American man who is still, at his age, on a journey to "find his way" from Communism to extreme Right!
Yep. . .I'm certain that, if HE says it. . . it must be true!

I must admit, that David Horowitz is just slightly less biased than Rush Limbaugh! :rolleyes::D

Back