Charlie Rangel is Right

Beetle Bailey

Why not bring back the draft? Universal military conscription for all. And this time with no educational deferments. That way we can eliminate the need for repeated deployments, discharge stop loss, lowered enlistment standards, and large re-enlistment bonus. More people will be able to share the responsibility for defending our country. A more equitable distribution of the burden. Give everyone a real stake in this war.

Werbung:
You clearly know nothing about the military. Do you want our military standards to plummet to what they were in the 70s? We have the best, most highly trained military in the world. It makes no sense why anyone would want to ruin this.

You clearly know nothing about the military. Do you want our military standards to plummet to what they were in the 70s? We have the best, most highly trained military in the world. It makes no sense why anyone would want to ruin this.

The much advertised professional excellence of our all volunteer military has absolutely nothing to do with why we don't have a draft. If we had military conscription we wouldn't be in Iraq. Long, unpopular wars become politically untenable. All volunteer forces enable politicians to do pretty much what ever they want.

The much advertised professional excellence of our all volunteer military has absolutely nothing to do with why we don't have a draft. If we had military conscription we wouldn't be in Iraq. Long, unpopular wars become politically untenable. All volunteer forces enable politicians to do pretty much what ever they want.

Well whatever their belif, my personal reason for opposing a draft is because I'd like our military to remain at the current high level of excellence.

You suggest subverting the continued conduct of a war virtually no one wants by forcing everyone to take part in it?

Perhaps if Americans had to put in a real sacrifice because of this war, other than placing a sticker on our cars and shopping- so the terrorists don't win, such as the draft- we'd pay attention to our current war in Iraq.

Perhaps if Americans had to put in a real sacrifice because of this war, other than placing a sticker on our cars and shopping- so the terrorists don't win, such as the draft- we'd pay attention to our current war in Iraq.
So...US civilians are not paying attention to the war? It seems more likely that you are assuming they would all think exactly as you do if drafted.

Rather large assumption.

-Castle

We could draft women, children and the elderly, attire them in colorful terri cloth robes, and arm them with billy clubs and people would REALLY pay attention. MARK

The draft is a good idea and a bad idea. As for those muslim people who like to be called "hyphenated Americans", they should be purposely deployed for cannon fodder.

You know sometimes it better to remain silent and just let people assume you're not the sharpest knife in the drawer than to say something that removes all doubt.

Just a suggestion... :)

Yeah, I did group Americans all together in that.

The way I see it, most of us (there I go grouping again) do not pay that much attention to it.

If a draft occured, people wouldn't be happy, we'd hopefully question why a draft is occuring.

Personally, I don't think we're paying enough attention to it and other matters around the world.

I doubt a draft will happen though. (This whole draft issue came up in January 2003, again in November 2006.)

The first time Rangel voted against it, his own bill.

The people voted to end this action. Our representatives are not listening as usual. A draft would only give those that run the show more fodder to support corporate interests. I hope someday manditory national service (not necessarily military service) can require every citizen to contribute more than money to our country. But not until we have a government that is truly of the people and by the people and are not manipulated. That day may never come.

I support the draft. I say draft all 18 year old men & WOMEN! This time NO LOOPHOLES!! Which means not even college can save ya from the draft.But if you head to canada they should stick undercover FBI agents ready to nab ya.Its 20 years in the pen failure to report for duty when drafted.

Werbung:
I support the draft. I say draft all 18 year old men & WOMEN! This time NO LOOPHOLES!! Which means not even college can save ya from the draft.But if you head to canada they should stick undercover FBI agents ready to nab ya.Its 20 years in the pen failure to report for duty when drafted.

Canada won't accept military dodgers anymore. Until we get a government that doesn't place our young people in harm's way unless there is a real threat to our nation, we should not force anyone into the military.

Back