Crime Regulation Agency

Werbung:
Aren't gun control laws the ultimate example of "guilty until proven innocent"?

Hmmm? I'm just gonna think "out loud" here.

Gun control laws say that guns when used correctly are so dangerous that they need to be restricted. Why the disctinction between using them correctly or incorrectly? Because using them incorrectly is already outlawed as it should be. Of course using guns correctly is not at all dangerous.

So a regulation that a gun can only be used corectly if one first jumps through a lot of hoops starts witht the false premise that using them correctly is dangerous.

Does that mean that regulations about other things, like driving, are examples of guilty until proven innocent (gupi)? Take for example that you need a license to drive. The purpose of that law is not to make driving less available but to empower police (I am not saying that empowering police is either good or bad) to catch you if you later break the law. The requirement for a licence is not an example of gupi. What about registration of the car? Registration is about tax income and being able to connect cars to drivers, again to empower police. The purpose of registration is not to limit driving.

Are there any laws about driving that are intended to limit driving or assume that you are gupi? And now I see a flaw in my reasoning. Just because a law is intended to limit a right that does not mean that it is gupi. It may still be wrong but not gupi. For it to be gupi it must limit that right now to prevent a crime that has not yet occured. Again licensing and registration laws are not intended to stop crimes but to help police catch you if you do ( actually they are also for police to be able to monitor you even if you don't). I still think that is a separate issue.

OK, so what gun law is gupi? Apparently not registration and licensing. What about you cannot buy an AK47? What if they made a law that you cannot drive certain cars? Like a car without headlights? If it were daytime or if for whatever reason you did not need headlights then such a law would be gupi.

I did not come up with any examples of gupi in driving, anyone else? I do suspect that I am just missing something here.

Back