Fires of revolution sweep the Arab World

Re: Fires of revolution sweep the Aran World

You cannot run foreign policy based on the question of "what is the moral thing to do"?... In the real world, idealism must often yield to pragmatism.

It couldn't be more clear than that... Pragmatism is a magic word used to ignore morality.

Haha, good analogy.
It occured to me today while listening to the glowing praise heaped on the unrest in Egypt. For rioting and looting, the Egyptian protestors are characterized as peace loving individuals who simply seek government reform. Meanwhile, here in the US there is a group that peacably assembles demanding reform - they don't even litter where they assemble - and the same media characterizes the Tea Party here in the US as domestic terrorists and Tim McVeigh wannabe's. The world is upside down.

Why would we not want to pursue our interests in Egypt?
Propping up military dictatorships in foreign countries is not in our best interest. Obviously another totalitarian Islamic state is also not in our best interest but outside of diplomacy, we should not interfere in the affairs of other states. No funding, no military support, no taking sides, just deal with the "winner" as best we can.

Werbung:

Propping up military dictatorships in foreign countries is not in our best interest. Obviously another totalitarian Islamic state is also not in our best interest but outside of diplomacy, we should not interfere in the affairs of other states. No funding, no military support, no taking sides, just deal with the "winner" as best we can.

Is that to suggest propping up "democracies" is in our best interest?

So what? You cannot run foreign policy based on the question of "what is the moral thing to do"?

If we operated under this system, we would never have allied with the Soviet Union to defeat the Nazi Germany. In the real world, idealism must often yield to pragmatism.

No wonder that the peoples of the Arab nations hate us..."for our freedoms...".

No wonder that the peoples of the Arab nations hate us..."for our freedoms...".

The glaring problem with your statement is that vast amounts of "Arab nations" and their people do not actually hate us, and have interests that align with ours.

Yes we as a world power must be swayed by the possible actions as another.

It is not the "possible actions of another", we have been competing for influence in Egypt since the days of the Cold War and we continue to do so. If we just stop, the competition has not ended, we have just stop playing the game, and that, in my opinion, will ultimately be detrimental to the United States.

If we go in like we have we will make more enemies than friends.

Not automatically... interests change, and when interests align, new friendships are born.

It couldn't be more clear than that... Pragmatism is a magic word used to ignore morality.

Morality should never be the deciding factor in terms of foreign policy.

It occured to me today while listening to the glowing praise heaped on the unrest in Egypt. For rioting and looting, the Egyptian protestors are characterized as peace loving individuals who simply seek government reform. Meanwhile, here in the US there is a group that peacably assembles demanding reform - they don't even litter where they assemble - and the same media characterizes the Tea Party here in the US as domestic terrorists and Tim McVeigh wannabe's. The world is upside down.

I highlighted what I feel is an important part. Propping up military dictatorships in foreign countries can be in our best interest in certain scenarios, and we cannot just rule it out because it is a "military dictatorship."

Imagine this scenario on a personal level. Say that you own (or are otherwise largely involved in) a large percent of a company, you are going to want some say in who sits on the board and makes the decisions... you will want someone you can work with and who has similar interests to your own....the odds are you will not just let other people pick the board members and then hope you can work with them.

Egypt: Not our business

That means we should let the people of Egypt decide what's best for the people of Egypt and STOP meddling in the affairs of other countries.

I agree, but aint going to happen. The horse is out of the barn. We have been meddling in Egypt for a long long time. And, are still doing so today.

Our politicians have given them over $2 billion annually in foreign aide for some time. No doubt this "investment" of American tax payer money has been wasted on graft and corruption. But, it is all about good intentions - you know.

Now does anyone really believe a community organizer can handle this situation? He is trying to straddle the fence like a silly American moderate and IMO, that is not going to work.

Egypt is a dirt poor Muslim country. It ranks 137 in per capita income and in the top 20 in population. That is a recipe Islamic fanatics love.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703833204576114093360852546.html

Is that to suggest propping up "democracies" is in our best interest?

Exactly what is your problem? We seem to agree on this issue, as we have on others, yet you insist on trying to pick an argument with me in every thread - even when we agree!

Exactly what is your problem? We seem to agree on this issue, as we have on others, yet you insist on trying to pick an argument with me in every thread - even when we agree!

Dont take it personal, I was just trying to make sure we agreed.

Morality should never be the deciding factor in terms of foreign policy.
Then why pussyfoot around? Why concern ourselves with civilian casualties? Why not just use NCB attacks on hostile nations rather than sending ground troops? We could kill billions in a single day and eradicate huge portions of countries that refuse to bend to our will...

Or is that "too" pragmatic?

I highlighted what I feel is an important part.

That scenario would make more sense if you were talking about an individual state in the union, not when talking about another country in another part of the world. We don't own Egypt... And no matter who is in charge of the country, Egypt will continue to participate in the global economy.

Then why pussyfoot around? Why concern ourselves with civilian casualties? Why not just use NCB attacks on hostile nations rather than sending ground troops? We could kill billions in a single day and eradicate huge portions of countries that refuse to bend to our will...

We do not do those things because it would quickly align the interests of the world against us.. something we certainly do not want.

We don't want to force people to bend to our will against their will if we can help it, what we want is to exert influence so that other world leaders will make choices that align with our interests. Otherwise, like I said, we risk turning the mutual interests of the world against us.

Or is that "too" pragmatic?

Don't confuse pragmatism with stupidity.

That scenario would make more sense if you were talking about an individual state in the union, not when talking about another country in another part of the world. We don't own Egypt... And no matter who is in charge of the country, Egypt will continue to participate in the global economy.

No, we do not own Egypt, and yes regardless of who is in power their they will participate in the global economy, but the global economy is not the sole interest of the United States...there are many other things that must be considered.

We invest billions in Egypt, and they play a large role in Middle East...given our interests of preventing nuclear proliferation, looking for a solution to the Israeli/Palestinian issue, preserving a balance of power against radical regimes, etc, it is very important to the United States as to who obtains power in Egypt.

We do not do those things because it would quickly align the interests of the world against us..
So the moral decision to NOT mass murder civillians also happens to be the "pragmatic" choice?

Don't confuse pragmatism with stupidity.
I'd like two examples if you please:

1. A morally correct decision that you see as not being pragmatic.
2. An immoral decision that you see as being the pragmatic decision.

We invest billions in Egypt, and they play a large role in Middle East...given our interests of preventing nuclear proliferation, looking for a solution to the Israeli/Palestinian issue, preserving a balance of power against radical regimes, etc, it is very important to the United States as to who obtains power in Egypt.
We invest billions... I'd imagine that our billions are a large portion of their economy. You think whoever takes power is going to stop taking our money or risk losing those billions by pissing us off?

As for NNPT, correct me if I'm wrong but the UN, not the US, enforces the NNPT.

Israel/Palestine - As much as I love Israel, why is this our problem/responsibility? If both sides agree to have us act as arbiter in peace negotiations then we have a responsibility but outside of that I see no reason to get involved.

Balance of Power in M.E. - Don't you want an imbalance of power favoring the US? I think that would be in our best interest but I don't believe propping up Pro-US puppet regimes actually accomplishes that goal.

So the moral decision to NOT mass murder civillians also happens to be the "pragmatic" choice?

Yes.

I'd like two examples if you please:

1. A morally correct decision that you see as not being pragmatic.

United States intervention in Somalia.

2. An immoral decision that you see as being the pragmatic decision.

American refusal to intervene in Darfur in any meaningful manner.

We invest billions... I'd imagine that our billions are a large portion of their economy. You think whoever takes power is going to stop taking our money or risk losing those billions by pissing us off?

As I said, it depends on who takes power. I imagine if the Muslim Brotherhood becomes the majority of a new government there will be some serious problems with paying them off to maintain a peace treaty with Israel.

As for NNPT, correct me if I'm wrong but the UN, not the US, enforces the NNPT.

Don't be fooled into thinking that the NNPT is the sole mechanism to prevent the spread of nuclear proliferation.

Israel/Palestine - As much as I love Israel, why is this our problem/responsibility? If both sides agree to have us act as arbiter in peace negotiations then we have a responsibility but outside of that I see no reason to get involved.

Stability in the Middle East will always be a problem for the United States as long as we remain a superpower, and as long as the Middle East is full of oil.

Balance of Power in M.E. - Don't you want an imbalance of power favoring the US? I think that would be in our best interest but I don't believe propping up Pro-US puppet regimes actually accomplishes that goal.

Well yes, I want the balance to favor American interests. Something I think will be a much larger issue once Mubarak steps down (assuming it plays out that way and he keeps his promise to leave in September).

United States intervention in Somalia.

American refusal to intervene in Darfur in any meaningful manner.
Because the terms "pragmatic" and "meaningful" are subjective, perhaps we should take a moment to define these terms in order to have the same understanding of the intended goal.

Most will claim that "pragmatic" means "what works" but without outlining a specific goal for a specific situation, the concept of "what works" is entirely subjective. The same is true for what is "meaningful", we need to establish the specific goal associated with the specific situation to understand the envisioned result in the context of the situation.

I'll be more specific in showing the problem I have in understanding your use of the terms "pragmatic" and "moral" in regards to your examples:

Somalia, the humanitarian mission to save millions from starvation was a complete success while our attempts at nation building were a miserable failure. If feeding starving people was the morally correct decision, we accomplished that mission. In that context, our morally correct decision was also the pragmatic decision, it worked. However, if you consider the decision to nation build in Somalia to be our morally correct decision, obviously that failed, and therefore was not a "pragmatic" endeavor.

As I said, it depends on who takes power. I imagine if the Muslim Brotherhood becomes the majority of a new government there will be some serious problems with paying them off to maintain a peace treaty with Israel.
It's my opinion that we shouldn't give Egypt (or any other country) taxpayer funded aid, which includes financial and military support.

As for the peace treaty with Israel, I have no problem with using diplomatic measures to encourage peaceful relations between the countries but that does not mean we should pay Egypt protection money in hopes they will not attack Israel.

Don't be fooled into thinking that the NNPT is the sole mechanism to prevent the spread of nuclear proliferation.
NP is the realm of the UN and it is not unilaterally enforced by the US. Can you give me an example of the US acting completely alone and outside of UN authorization to enforce or prevent NP?

Stability in the Middle East will always be a problem for the United States as long as we remain a superpower, and as long as the Middle East is full of oil.
Our economy runs on oil. Unrest in the ME creates price spikes in the oil futures markets. These spikes have potentially devestating effects on our oil based economy. Therefore the stability of the ME is important to US interests as the region is one of the largest suppliers of the worlds oil.

Would you disagree with any of that? Is there some other reason you would like to add as to why that region is of importance to the US?

Well yes, I want the balance to favor American interests.
Please outline what you see as "American interests" concerning the ME and be specific. For example, if you say "stability" in the ME is part of our American interests, then offer specifics as to why.

Werbung:

Because the terms "pragmatic" and "meaningful" are subjective, perhaps we should take a moment to define these terms in order to have the same understanding of the intended goal.

Most will claim that "pragmatic" means "what works" but without outlining a specific goal for a specific situation, the concept of "what works" is entirely subjective. The same is true for what is "meaningful", we need to establish the specific goal associated with the specific situation to understand the envisioned result in the context of the situation.

I'll be more specific in showing the problem I have in understanding your use of the terms "pragmatic" and "moral" in regards to your examples:

Somalia, the humanitarian mission to save millions from starvation was a complete success while our attempts at nation building were a miserable failure. If feeding starving people was the morally correct decision, we accomplished that mission. In that context, our morally correct decision was also the pragmatic decision, it worked. However, if you consider the decision to nation build in Somalia to be our morally correct decision, obviously that failed, and therefore was not a "pragmatic" endeavor.

OK...I can agree it can be subjective, but looking more into the Somalia example I think it must be pointed out that one of the biggest reasons for mission creep was the initial failure of the humanitarian mission.

The way I see it is that we made a moral decision to intervene in a humanitarian context.. that humanitarian effort was widely failing, so we were forced to change the mission. After the change we can argue over whether it was ultimately successful..we did have some time of relative calm, but we were never really able to solve the warlord problem from the get go.

Therefore, we intervened for a moral reason, that moral reason turned out to be a failure, so we had to change the mission in an effort to preserve the original mission..which ultimately led to total failure.

It's my opinion that we shouldn't give Egypt (or any other country) taxpayer funded aid, which includes financial and military support.

Why not? I don't think the founders would really have a problem with that.. after all they borrowed tons of money to suit their interests, why would their opinion change when the roles reverse?

As for the peace treaty with Israel, I have no problem with using diplomatic measures to encourage peaceful relations between the countries but that does not mean we should pay Egypt protection money in hopes they will not attack Israel.

If the only thing diplomacy has to offer is diplomacy, I don't see how that will really accomplish anything...

NP is the realm of the UN and it is not unilaterally enforced by the US. Can you give me an example of the US acting completely alone and outside of UN authorization to enforce or prevent NP?

Well.. there is no example of the US acting "completely alone" because we would act in the form of bilateral agreements or setting up international agreements to act, which inherently involve other nations... but don't automatically involve the UN.

Our economy runs on oil. Unrest in the ME creates price spikes in the oil futures markets. These spikes have potentially devestating effects on our oil based economy. Therefore the stability of the ME is important to US interests as the region is one of the largest suppliers of the worlds oil.

Would you disagree with any of that? Is there some other reason you would like to add as to why that region is of importance to the US?

Please outline what you see as "American interests" concerning the ME and be specific. For example, if you say "stability" in the ME is part of our American interests, then offer specifics as to why.

Obviously I agree with you on the importance of oil and the reasons that you outline. I would say our other interests include:

1) The War on Terrorism: In order to defeat extremists in many of these nations we are going to have to rely on (and maintain decent relations with) the governments of many nations in the Middle East.

2) Containing Iran: Obviously the nuclear issue is important, but also keeping the spread of a radical Shia agenda into the rest of the Middle East must also play a role.

3) Preventing the spread of weapons of mass destruction: Links up with the Iranian issue, but if nuclear capability spreads throughout an already volatile region, it will upset the oil market, and potentially create an arms race in the region.

Those would be the main issues (obviously Iraq could be included, but I think that one might be self-evident) I would want to currently focus on the in Middle East if I were in charge. (Not to say there are not some others, but those would be the main few)

Back