Global cooling!

Werbung:
Well... it's been awhile since I've visited this one. Okay, so the rabid AGW predictions leaned heavily towards an ice-free Arctic this summer and that just didn't happen. While lower than the average minimum ice extent, this summer's Arctic ice was still greater than last year's melt and it's coming back quite a bit faster than last year, too, in spite of the SST anomaly charts showing excessively warm sea surface temperatures.

Positive OLR (Outgoing Longwave Radiation) anomalies for the planet as a whole are indicating that we're consistently losing more heat energy to space than we've been absorbing for months and months now. We've also been running a predominantly negative GLAAM anomaly for many years now and, I'm sorry, you just can't retain heat with that going on.

In short, we're still cooling and at a pretty fair clip. Truth be told, faster than we'd like because with the leftover warmth in the sea surface temperatures, we're bound to get quite a bit of precipitation for awhile longer. Except California--the negative PDO (Pacific Decadal Oscillation) will see to there being a relative drought there for years to come. That, by the way, is VERY bad news for California and the U.S. as a whole. There's nothing to be done about it, either, as that particular weather pattern isn't considered to be related in any way to Global Warming, whether natural or manmade.

Pidgey

I don't have much knowlege on this topic so I'll limit my contributions. However, kudo's to those participating in this thread it's a very interesting one.

01_12_2008_DvTempRank_pg.gif

Global Cooling and the Sunshine State

Florida is getting colder, at least during the winters. And this pattern has been developing for the past 113 years. The following info about FLA citrus has been sourced from Florida Citrus Mutual.

Citrus is temperature sensitive. The fruit is damaged at 32 degrees F and trees are damaged at 29 degrees F. So the ideal location for commercial citrus is south of a line where expected winter temps are above 32 degrees F. And that line has been moving south as winters have gottern progressively colder.

1. During 1895, commercial citrus was grown throughout ALL of FL and in coastal areas of GA and SC.
2. By 1960 the northernmost line of commercial citrus was Macintosh, FL.
3. By 1985 the northernmost line was Leesburg, FL.
4. Today the northernmost line is Kissimmee, FL.
5. During the past 113 years, the northernmost line of commercial citrus has moved south over 250 miles, a little at a time.

I would like to extend an invitation to all you chicken little global warming freaks who are getting ready for the earth to fry. Give me a call in January and we can sit in front of my fireplace and sip a cold one and watch the Gators win yet another national title. But be sure and bring a coat with you to Florida in the winter, cuz we ain't frying. We gettin a wee bit colda each year.

Re: Global Cooling and the Sunshine State

Interglacials usually begin on the warm side and then slowly decay from there. We're about due for another glacial any time now, actually.

Yeah, the government has been cutting operational weather stations pretty badly for a few years now. About all that's left are ones that suffer the "UHI" (Urban Heat Island) effect. That corrupts the data quite a bit. However, ARGO has been demonstrating a loss of OHC (Oceanic Heat Content) for a few years running now. By and large, you, dear reader, are not going to be told about that one though. If you don't know how to search for and collate that data for yourself, it's just too bad. OLR anomalies are still running negative though, meaning that we're still consistently losing energy to space. We've got quite a bit to lose so we're not in any danger per se. At least, anymore than normal.

Werbung:
Has ARGO published a yearly average of the OHC? I looked at the ARGO site but I couldn't find where they publish the data. Is the data collated elsewhere?

Back