Government Schools producing a Herd of Ignorant Sheeple

Truth-Bringer

Civic Literacy Report

"The average college senior knows astoundingly little about America ’s history, government, international relations and market economy, earning an “F” on the American civic literacy exam with a score of 54.2%. Harvard seniors did best, but their overall average was 69.6%, a disappointing D+."

Surely the government schools are proud of their sheeple...mission accomplished...

Article link

Werbung:
I just took the quiz in question and got an 86.67 - 52 out of 60 questions correct.

If you'd like to take the quiz yourself, here's the link:

http://www.americancivicliteracy.org/resources/quiz.aspx

Here's what I missed:

1. I defined federalism as "a political system where the national government holds ultimate power" when the correct answer is listed as "a political system in which the national and state governments share power."
  2. I said that Plato valued "commercial republics" in his The Republic when the answer was that he valued "philosopher kings."
  3. I said that free markets typically secure more economic prosperity than government’s centralized planning because markets rely on coercion while government planning relies on voluntary compliance with the law, whereas the answer was that it's because the price system utilizes more knowledge of means and ends.
  4. I said that national defense is considered a public good because a majority of citizens value it, whereas the answer was that it's because residents can benefit from it without directly paying for it.
  5. I said that Keynesian economists conclude that the recession phase of a business cycle occurs when investment spending crowds out consumer spending, while the answer was that the recession phase of a business cycle can be reversed by government spending more than it taxes.
  6. I said that, according to supply and demand, an increase in ticket price at a movie theater would result in a quality increase of the movie theater, when the answer was that it would result in the theater selling fewer tickets.
  7. I thought that a decrease in the supply of money would result from a purchase of bonds by the government, whereas the answer was that the result would be an increase in the volume of commercial bank loans.
  8. And I thought that the federal government's largest payout over the last twenty years was for the military, when it was in fact for Social Security.

A couple of those I might argue on (especially the first, the third, and the fourth). And apparently I need to go and study economics (sadly there are no classes on this topic at my school, which is, while not surprising, disappointing). And I need to pick up a copy of The Republic.

So, what do you think, Truth-Bringer? Does an 86.67% make me one of the "sheeple?"

I find most schools, public and private, stiffle inquisitiveness and operate to make people conform. We need to redefine just what this education buzz word is all about. I could care less if one can discuss Chaucer intelligently if they don't understand the basic elements of child rearing, elementary physiological care, the impact of usury, legal contracts and various other areas that real life, "educational" knowledge is crucial for survival.

I find most schools, public and private, stiffle inquisitiveness and operate to make people conform. We need to redefine just what this education buzz word is all about. I could care less if one can discuss Chaucer intelligently if they don't understand the basic elements of child rearing, elementary physiological care, the impact of usury, legal contracts and various other areas that real life, "educational" knowledge is crucial for survival.

Outstanding post.

Werbung:
You were one of the sheeple before you ever took this test.

So what was the point of posting any of this? In your view, a person is one of the "sheeple" if they do poorly on the test, and they're still one of the "sheeple" if they do well on it but don't agree with your opinions on government. That's a little redundant.

I'd be a little curious to know how well you did on this test, but then, I suppose someone as self-assured as you wouldn't bother to take it.

Back