History is happening right now.

Werbung:
Well roomies, we are now witnessing history in the making. We have our first African American Presidential candidate.
sigs-object-018.gif

We have already had several black candidates. We have even had a female black candidate.

This is the first time a black candidate has made it to one of the top two candidates.

It will be ironic if he loses the presidency because he says something stupidly and blatantly racist.

Notable in that it is the Democratic Party responsible for such an historic achievement. Meanwhile, the GOP has not 1 current black governor, senator or House member. Does that say something or what?

Democratic black membership is about 20% while GOP black membership is about 7%.

This is exactly what one would expect when the GOP treats people as people regardless of skin color and the democrats make all sorts of promises of redistribution of wealth based on discriminatory policies that have everything to do with skin color. Policies which I would add do more harm to the black community than help.

Democratic black membership is about 20% while GOP black membership is about 7%.

This is exactly what one would expect when the GOP treats people as people regardless of skin color and the democrats make all sorts of promises of redistribution of wealth based on discriminatory policies that have everything to do with skin color. Policies which I would add do more harm to the black community than help.

Yes, that's the stock Repub answer. However, it's not the truth. The real truth is beginning with Nixon and his "southern strategy" the GOP began to appeal, in earnest, to one of the most disgusting segments of society.....racists.

As Nixon strategist Kevin Phillips put it:

"From now on, the Republicans are never going to get more than 10 to 20 percent of the Negro vote and they don't need any more than that... but Republicans would be shortsighted if they weakened enforcement of the Voting Rights Act. The more Negroes who register as Democrats in the South, the sooner the Negrophobe whites will quit the Democrats and become Republicans. That's where the votes are."

That quote needs no explanation. Since that time, the GOP has become, much as Phillips predicted, the chosen party of white racists. Not all Republicans are racists, but a considerable percentage are, both overt and covert. African Americans, despite what some Repubs think, aren't stupid, they see what makes up the GOP, hence they vote accordingly.

Yes, that's the stock Repub answer. However, it's not the truth. The real truth is beginning with Nixon and his "southern strategy" the GOP began to appeal, in earnest, to one of the most disgusting segments of society.....racists.

As Nixon strategist Kevin Phillips put it:

"From now on, the Republicans are never going to get more than 10 to 20 percent of the Negro vote and they don't need any more than that... but Republicans would be shortsighted if they weakened enforcement of the Voting Rights Act. The more Negroes who register as Democrats in the South, the sooner the Negrophobe whites will quit the Democrats and become Republicans. That's where the votes are."

That quote needs no explanation. Since that time, the GOP has become, much as Phillips predicted, the chosen party of white racists. Not all Republicans are racists, but a considerable percentage are, both overt and covert. African Americans, despite what some Repubs think, aren't stupid, they see what makes up the GOP, hence they vote accordingly.

Well I have never heard of the southern strategy before so I did some research. First off your quote is 48 years old. Secondly it did not reflect that the GOP was racist or creating racism but only that they were taking advantage of existing racism. Thirdly, here is a newer quote:

Mehlman says, "By the '70s and into the '80s and '90s, the Democratic Party solidified its gains in the African-American community, and we Republicans did not effectively reach out. Some Republicans gave up on winning the African-American vote, looking the other way or trying to benefit politically from racial polarization. I am here today as the Republican chairman to tell you we were wrong."

If you want to show us that the GOP (and I am not a republican but a conservative) is presently racist and that they are more racist than the Democrats then by all means do it.

It will be ironic if he loses the presidency because he says something stupidly and blatantly racist.

He won't. Remember, his mother is white. His wife on the other hand is a poster child for racism.

Well I have never heard of the southern strategy before so I did some research. First off your quote is 48 years old. Secondly it did not reflect that the GOP was racist or creating racism but only that they were taking advantage of existing racism.
The Phillip's quote is from 1970, that's 38 years ago, not "48." Also, I stated the Republicans, in employing the "southern strategy", were appealing to racists, nothing you have stated refutes that in any way. Taking advantage of existing racism is pretty much the same thing, just a question of semantics.

Dr. Who said:
Mehlman says, "By the '70s and into the '80s and '90s, the Democratic Party solidified its gains in the African-American community, and we Republicans did not effectively reach out. Some Republicans gave up on winning the African-American vote, looking the other way or trying to benefit politically from racial polarization. I am here today as the Republican chairman to tell you we were wrong."
Well I'm glad to see at least someone within the GOP admits they were wrong. When the majority take up such a call, things might change. Until then they remain the party of choice for racists.

Dr Who said:
If you want to show us that the GOP (and I am not a republican but a conservative) is presently racist and that they are more racist than the Democrats then by all means do it.
Currently there are zero black Republican governors, senators or House members. That's more than enough evidence for me.

The Phillip's quote is from 1970, that's 38 years ago, not "48." Also, I stated the Republicans, in employing the "southern strategy", were appealing to racists, nothing you have stated refutes that in any way. Taking advantage of existing racism is pretty much the same thing, just a question of semantics.

You are right on the math I am wrong. The point is still that very old quotes are not worth much as a demonstration of what current beliefs are.

And yes appealing to racists is about the same as taking advantage of racism. But neither is the same as being racist. And that was what you are trying to prove, right?
Well I'm glad to see at least someone within the GOP admits they were wrong. When the majority take up such a call, things might change. Until then they remain the party of choice for racists.

So if racists vote republican then the republicans are guilty by association? You have to show that repubs are racist not that racist like them (or perhaps more likely that racists hate democrats).

Currently there are zero black Republican governors, senators or House members. That's more than enough evidence for me.

So what makes you think that is significant? How many black democratic governors are there? What about in the cumulatively and not just currently?
Same for senators and house members?

If there are 52 governors every year and about 500 congressmen every few years then using that kind of math I doubt either party would look very good.

But there are alternative explanations. It seems more likely that black politicians are drawn to the democratic party than that they are excluded from the republican party. And if they go to the one then they can't go to the other.

Well roomies, we are now witnessing history in the making. We have our first African American Presidential candidate.
sigs-object-018.gif

nope.

we have our first AA selected by a major political party to represent them in the general election. we've had AA Presidential candidates before.

I do not feel it is such a great big deal, but I have always considered black Americans as equal and able to achieve whatever is open to them. The media elite and other white people are beside themselves with this. It is almost anti-climatic.

And Obama, is no average Black American. He is of biracial heritage. He is not really African American as many understand it as he is not a child of slavery.

I was going to start a thread on this later once it became more "official" but either way, I am glad I was able to participate in this event. Now it is on to November. It will be a tough general campaign for sure. But I am confident. He has the cash, he has the ground game, he will have a unified party and he has a RINO Bush 3rd term as an opponent. Should be interesting.
unified party, but at what expense?

it is too early to celebrate unity

Tokens, I referred to them as toms and tokens. The vast majority of the AA population in this country would agree with me too, particularly in the case of Clarence Thomas.

All that aside, you didn't really address the main point of my post..that of there currently being no (0) black repub governors, senators, or House members. You honestly can't think that's just coincidence?

You have the nerve to belittle the achievements of black Americans because you disagree with their political philosophy or ideology? I propose that that my friend is un-American.

Werbung:
I was going to start a thread on this later once it became more "official" but either way, I am glad I was able to participate in this event. Now it is on to November. It will be a tough general campaign for sure. But I am confident. He has the cash, he has the ground game, he will have a unified party and he has a RINO Bush 3rd term as an opponent. Should be interesting.

Today at the top of the hour news on the radio, there was a report that many self described Hillary supporters have called the McCain's campaign offering to help. I do not think the party is unified, and I don't think it will be by November.

Back