Is There A God ???

I haven't claimed to have any proof of God, have I? Hello? Are you dim? I have no way to know whether there is a god/God any more than anyone else.

Reading your posts and ol' Nums' posts, I have come to the conclusion that you two deserve each other.:)

Clearly you have nothing to contribute to the thread, other than a lame attempt to talk crap about mysticism......maybe time for a voluntary exit huh :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Btw, if you bother to read the thread, I just explained why agnosticism is illogical, so you do have a way of knowing for certain,..... but you might be a bit dense:eek:

Werbung:
Clearly you have nothing to contribute to the thread, other than a lame attempt to talk crap about mysticism......maybe time for a voluntary exit huh :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Btw, if you bother to read the thread, I just explained why agnosticism is illogical, so you do have a way of knowing for certain,..... but you might be a bit dense:eek:

Calling me names hardly qualifies as a scientific rebuttal, DH, and just because you call me a mystic (which of course you have not defined) doesn't mean I am one anymore than when you called me "crunchy" earlier. Jesu F. Christo! If you have something to say, why not just say it? Why all the bullshooting and name calling? Keep it up and there will be two people who have earned the Numnutz Award.

I don't see that either you or Nums has presented anything definitive. I still think that looking at the source of consciousness is a valuable thing to do--and funny thing, there are a lot of scientists out there doing just that. Did you ever bother to read Julian Jaynes' THE ORIGINS OF CONSCIOUSNESS IN THE BREAKDOWN OF THE BICAMERAL MIND? Consciousness isn't what we generally think that it is and so far we have no firm grip on what or where it comes from.

I wrote this elsewhere, but it still relates to this topic.......

Good ole Kant huh, LOL….I’ll tell you a true story,….when I was 17, I thought I’d give philosophy a red hot go, so I asked around, and the name Kant kept getting mentioned, so I whizzed down to the impressive new state library that had just been built, and I sought out some of his books…..however, upon reading that he felt “the moral imperative” meant/implied that you never lie, even in a bid to protect your loved one’s from intruders, I put the book down and gave philosophy the ass for a good 15yrs.

I returned to philosophy about 6-7 yrs ago, at which point I was quickly confused and always assumed that I hadn’t properly understood what I’d just read…I kept assuming it was a complicated subject{which it is}, and that if I just kept reading it, I’d eventually make heads or tails of it…..but I always had this feeling that certain obvious things we’re being relegated to being uncertain/unknowable.

Because I was an adult{33 at the time}, I was somewhat more persistent on this occasion, and with the aid of the net, I eventually stumbled across Objectivism, and it all started to make sense, especially the fact that Objectivism is very anti-Kant/mysticism…..so with some effort on my part, Objectivism began to alleviate most of my doubts, and actually teach me how to create the framework for a society operating with objectively formulated ethics.

Put simply, all we need as a starting point is the recognition that we need ethics to survive and prosper amongst others….so it’s actually the reality of the human condition that forces us to develop ethics, otherwise we place ourselves at the mercy of anyone who wants to harm or exploit us…..now if you say that’s just my opinion, what you’re really saying is that I’m free to do whatever I want to you or anyone you care about, and that you won’t stop me, or seek retribution.

Since reality forces us to create ethics, if we’re fair dinkum about creating a fair ethical system, then we have to ensure that our basic axiom/s don’t discriminate against anyone at ground level, ie, we want to be able to reduce all our ethical codes back to our base moral axiom/s….of course, this relationship is what gives any individual the moral high ground even if many others object…..ignorance, apathy and stupidity don’t have moral authority over properly developed objective ethical codes.

You mentioned the universal of “don’t kill”…..sounds good, and when we consider it’s value, we quickly realise that if we didn’t support this code, then whilst we’d have the freedom to kill whoever we wanted to, so would everyone else, and we’d be in jeopardy, subsequently making a mockery of the reality of our existence, which happens to be a life cycle.

Epistemology is really the science of knowledge, and because objectivism{and logic} reject the idea of God, supernatural, Kantian realms and so on, we have no choice but to create the ethics ourselves, and as long as we don’t discriminate against anyone, then our ethics are objective in that I’m not the only beneficiary, it’s not just my opinion, it’s also yours……only a fool would reject an axiom that protected and sought to advance their well being in favour of an alternative that threatened them and sought to destroy/exploit them…..but then again, some people appear to be rather comfortable with a master slave relationship.

As I mentioned, the integrity of our objective ethical codes rests on our ability to reduce them back to basics, signifying the codes are accurate in an objective sense….however, once we learn that God/Judaism/religion is flawed at a basic level, ie, that God doesn’t exist, then it should dawn on us that any ethical codes derived from this belief are most likely suspect….in fact, you’d have no choice but to logically analyse them, and determine their merit on their own 2 feet, which of course, is exactly what objective ethics propose.

So when we’re attempting to determine right from wrong, you better believe we need to rely on philosophy/epistemology/ethics for guidance, and being that most existing ethics are heavily related to religion/religious ideals, we’re in deep **** straight up….ie, God doesn’t exist, as such, the doctrines supposed moral authority disappears, and it’s left to logical analysis to determine any merit the doctrine might contain, knowing in advance, that it’s premise is flawed.

No one has the right to violate other people’s individual rights, specifically, you don’t have the right to distress, harm or kill an innocent person…..the penalty for this breach is relative to the crime, but moral authority always rests with the innocent law abiding individual.

As JJ frequently alludes to, you guys would do well to investigate some of the idea’s of America’s founding fathers, eg, the right to life, liberty, property and the pursuit of happiness….of course, all this goes out the window if someone rejects the very basic moral axiom/s, because unless we value the right to life{man’s life and his well being}, there’s no real compulsion to follow up with property rights and all the rest, cause we’ve entered into a master slave relationship.

whether you believe in a certain religion or you believe in spirituality or you may be an athiest or you may be agnostic. I ask everyone to air their views

Noone is right and noone is wrong. This is the one topic that can't be proved or disproved. All I ask is that you express your views without trying to dismiss others outrightly.

Noone can prove either way and so this is the absolute topic of debate.
all i ask is for everyone entering this debate, please enter it with anopen mind as one side cannot disprove the other.

god lives inside my pants.

I wrote this elsewhere, but it still relates to this topic.......
...the right to life, liberty, property and the pursuit of happiness….of course, all this goes out the window if someone rejects the very basic moral axiom/s, because unless we value the right to life{man’s life and his well being}, there’s no real compulsion to follow up with property rights and all the rest, cause we’ve entered into a master slave relationship.

Okay, I don't much trouble with that. And I'll have even less trouble with that once we can prove that the basis for consciousness lies in the machine and not with the "ghost" in the machine. Right now I suspect that we are a gestalt, but if science can prove that wrong, then I'm okay with that too.

Okay, I don't much trouble with that. And I'll have even less trouble with that once we can prove that the basis for consciousness lies in the machine and not with the "ghost" in the machine. Right now I suspect that we are a gestalt, but if science can prove that wrong, then I'm okay with that too.

What evidence do you have that the "ghost in the machine" analogy is even worth pursuing?

What evidence do you have that the "ghost in the machine" analogy is even worth pursuing?

That's the wrong question. People tend to study what interests them, what they don't know about, not just what has obvious value.

I have explained at least twice why I think this is a useful direction of study and you have been unpleasant to me each time--will you do that again? You don't know the genesis of what we call "consciousness", no one does, but we have wondered about consciousness arising in computers once they are large and complex enough. Before that happens it might be nice to know more about the subject.

And--at the risk of more verbal abuse from you--I must say again that I have had more than one out of body experience. No, I can't prove it's real, but it SEEMS real enough to make we want to know more about it. I'm curious about all kinds of things that don't earn me money and people have given me grief about that since I was in grade school.

A good thing to remember when using logic and reason to assess things is that one's information may not be complete. I recall that at one time French peasants brought some funny-looking rocks to French scientists and told the scientists that the rocks had fallen from the sky into their farm fields. The scientists assured them that this was not possible, but the farmers were steadfast in their assertions. At this point the scientists took the farmers outside and had them look up into the sky and then told them it was impossible for rocks to fall from the sky because you could look up and see that there were no rocks up in the sky. Bio-feedback, acupuncture, homeopathy, herbal medicine, chiropractic medicine, and even guided imagery were pooh-poohed by the people who used "logic" to prove that there was nothing there worth studying. Heavier than air craft were logically impossible too. At one time the Postmaster General said that airmail was a gimmick and would never amount to anything. ANYTHING we learn can have value.

Mare,

All truth exists, but we are not cognitive of them because we are limited by our five senses and knowledge base. One's consciousness is the sum total of the ability of their senses which is the only link to reality. Our consciousness uses a constant test of truth (objectivity), therefore, truth is the only thing that is important in life. The understanding of the complexity of the world is limited by our five senses, not by reality or truth. What is false has dire consequences; so if one needs a test for truth, step in front of a train going sixty.

Think of reality as a circle and all we have is our five senses to experience reality, which is independent of everyone else's ability. I don't rely on your inability to function in reality and you don't rely on my inability. If you have out of body experiences and I don't only means I don't have one of your senses. If you can benefit from or utilize that sense to find truth then you are better off than the rest of us. My only encouragement is to facilitate it so that it is beneficial in your life.

A Bio-feedback, acupuncture, homeopathy, herbal medicine, chiropractic medicine,

I'm not a fan of orthodox medicine and it's reductionist* mentality{I do support trauma care and the use of drugs on occasion}, but I can be considered as a fan of Naturopathic medicine.
Don't confuse the machinations of big pharma with objective science.

Also, since you claim to be scientifically literate, give me an outline of the control experiments you propose to prove/disprove your ideas on
consciousness?

* I can explain this if anyone's interested.

Mare,

Think of reality as a circle and all we have is our five senses to experience reality, which is independent of everyone else's ability. I don't rely on your inability to function in reality and you don't rely on my inability. If you have out of body experiences and I don't only means I don't have one of your senses. If you can benefit from or utilize that sense to find truth then you are better off than the rest of us. My only encouragement is to facilitate it so that it is beneficial in your life.

Only partly true, it may very well be that you simply have not been exposed to the knowledge of HOW to achieve an out of body experience. I found Robert Monroe's book JOURNEYS OUT OF BODY to be useful, I've read Stanislav Grof's works to and find some of the things he talks about to be insightful as well. Julian Jaynes' work was excellent for background information on consciousness in general and the research that has been done on it.

I'm not a fan of orthodox medicine and it's reductionist* mentality{I do support trauma care and the use of drugs on occasion}, but I can be considered as a fan of Naturopathic medicine.
Don't confuse the machinations of big pharma with objective science.

Also, since you claim to be scientifically literate, give me an outline of the control experiments you propose to prove/disprove your ideas on
consciousness?

* I can explain this if anyone's interested.

As soon as I get the grant check from you I'll be happy to let you in on the parameters of my research, until then you are just another person looking to horn in on, and benefit from, my work without paying your way. Sorry, but research these days is cut-throat because everybody wants to make sure there's a pot a' gold at the end of every research rainbow.

Conversely, I note that even though you claim to be scientifically literate that you haven't provided any outline of how you are going to go about proving your position either. And you have also been arguing against pure research into the fascinating and mostly unknown field of the genesis of consciousness--why is that?

Don't you mean speculation....?
Consciousness is an attribute of the brain/CNS....it cannot exist without the machinery that created it.

You can't prove the above statement, nobody can, it's all speculation at this point. The truth is that WE DON'T KNOW where consciouness arises, so we ASSUME that it has to have a material basis, but there is no proof that it cannot reside in complex energy fields.

Have you read Michael Crichton's book TRAVELS? It's autobiographical and at the end is an interesting speech he wrote to give to the CISCOP folks (you know, the one's who debunk everything) and he makes some interesting observations about things we know happen, but for which we don't have any ready explanation. Another source I found to be intriguing was THE HOLOGRAPHIC UNIVERSE by Michael Talbot in which he details the work of Karl Pribram and David Bohm suggesting that the reality we experience is a holographic construct arising from a deeper level of reality. It suggests some explanations for things that up until now we've not known how to deal with rationally. Some of the cutting-edge thinkers like Fritjof Capra are suggesting that consciousness is something very different than what we have heretofore been willing to consider.

The truth is that NO ONE KNOWS and if someone is throwing out any idea, then they are doing it out of ignorance not knowledge.

Werbung:
As soon as I get the grant check from you I'll be happy to let you in on the parameters of my research,
Conversely, I note that even though you claim to be scientifically literate that you haven't provided any outline of how you are going to go about proving your position either. And you have also been arguing against pure research into the fascinating and mostly unknown field of the genesis of consciousness--why is that?

Consciousness is the faculty of awareness…..that you’d refuse to stand in front of a train doing 60 proves you’re aware of the consequences, including the FACT that you can’t escape your physical body…..or isn’t that a grand enough experiment, would you prefer to dodge bullets?

You’re actually a garden variety mystic, no ifs or buts, ie, you reject reality as absolute and do so because you’ve been brainwashed by the antiquated religious paradigm, you’re essentially dissatisfied with reality, the reality of the human condition and the constraints that places upon you.

FYI, I only support Objective science and projects that have an objective basis, ie, some relationship to reality, otherwise I know I’m just going to get a bunch of speculation for my money.

Btw, directing me to read a series of fairy tales and telling me nuthin doesn’t equate to serious discussion,….it’s really an act of evasion….so I suggest you snuggle up to one of those fairy tales and the leave the truth and objectivity business to me.

How dare you mention the name of science wrt your fantasies, especially when you don’t have a single piece of independently verifiable evidence.....you’re not a scientist, you’re a mystic and perhaps an amateur magician as well.

Back