Media Responsibility and Politics: Fox News “Assassination Humor”

WorldPeaceNow

As citizen consumers, we are limited in scope with regard to both the sources and types of political information available to us. In fact, certain demographic populations unbelievably receive the majority of their political information from political campaign advertisements and attack ads. While younger demographics get their “news” almost entirely from the Daily Show and the Colbert Report.

Yet, an astounding trend has been appearing lately with regard to the credibility of media. Liz Trotta, a paid Fox News contributor, recently joked about killing not only Osama, but also Obama too. Keith Olbermann already ripped Hilary a new one for mentioning the RFK assassination as a reason for staying in the race, but Liz Trotta took it to a whole new level. The humor she displays completely fails in the eyes of the public due to the real death threats that Obama has already been receiving.

What do you do with influential pundits that excessively run their mouths and cross bounds that shouldn’t be crossed? There is a growing petition that calls for the firing of Liz Trotta, while others think a minor fine would be appropriate.

NY Times article on it: http://theboard.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/05/27/assassination-humor-fox-crosses-a-line/#comment-60263

Assassination joke: http://youtube.com/watch?v=BjYpkvcmog0
Response: http://youtube.com/watch?v=MEIdj8jQOlc&feature=related

Liz Trotta “apology”: http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZvjRv3Xhy-s&feature=related

What should the role of media be in politics: to entertain the ignorant through crude humor or to actually inform people of the thematic facts with the goal of producing informed citizens?

Werbung:
Forget about it - the last thing this country needs is leftwing Speech Police to tell people what they can joke about. You obamabots joke for months about McCain having alzheimers or dying, and someone cracks one about your precious cult leader and you whimper like babies. Why don't you go to Cuba? Nobody can joke about politicians there.

As citizen consumers, we are limited in scope with regard to both the sources and types of political information available to us. In fact, certain demographic populations unbelievably receive the majority of their political information from political campaign advertisements and attack ads. While younger demographics get their “news” almost entirely from the Daily Show and the Colbert Report.

Yet, an astounding trend has been appearing lately with regard to the credibility of media. Liz Trotta, a paid Fox News contributor, recently joked about killing not only Osama, but also Obama too. Keith Olbermann already ripped Hilary a new one for mentioning the RFK assassination as a reason for staying in the race, but Liz Trotta took it to a whole new level. The humor she displays completely fails in the eyes of the public due to the real death threats that Obama has already been receiving.

What do you do with influential pundits that excessively run their mouths and cross bounds that shouldn’t be crossed? There is a growing petition that calls for the firing of Liz Trotta, while others think a minor fine would be appropriate.

NY Times article on it: http://theboard.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/05/27/assassination-humor-fox-crosses-a-line/#comment-60263

Assassination joke: http://youtube.com/watch?v=BjYpkvcmog0
Response: http://youtube.com/watch?v=MEIdj8jQOlc&feature=related

Liz Trotta “apology”: http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZvjRv3Xhy-s&feature=related

What should the role of media be in politics: to entertain the ignorant through crude humor or to actually inform people of the thematic facts with the goal of producing informed citizens?

I am wondering, would you be posting this if the joke would have been about Bush. Honestly?

I am wondering, would you be posting this if the joke would have been about Bush. Honestly?

Good point - remember the horrendous insults and defamation against Bush for seven and a half years? Yet for every little criticism, little joke against their Great Leader they scream like stuck pigs. :D

Wait a minute here. We are talking about a career long journalist, someone who knows how to choose her words very carefully. Someone who very much knows better that this crossed the line. If someone were to make that sort of statement about a sitting President in that public of a setting it might be considered a threat(especially under this Justice Department) on the Presidents life which is against Federal Law. I would and have said the same thing about or too people who have wished ill on various politicians, including Bush/Cheney.

Nobody in the mainstream media has ever said such a thing about the President, or a Presidential candidate. What that woman said was totally out of line and if it was a joke, I will say I have a good sense of humor and that little stunt she pulled was way out of bounds.

Good point - remember the horrendous insults and defamation against Bush for seven and a half years? Yet for every little criticism, little joke against their Great Leader they scream like stuck pigs. :D

Again, name me one single time and or place from a mainstream media source where they joked about killing a politician, especially the President or a Presidential Candidate. Find me that, and I will admit gladly to be incorrect.

Wait a minute here. We are talking about a career long journalist, someone who knows how to choose her words very carefully.

BS. There are no "journalists" anymore, and none of them choose their words carefully.

Someone who very much knows better that this crossed the line. If someone were to make that sort of statement about a sitting President in that public of a setting it might be considered a threat(especially under this Justice Department) on the Presidents life which is against Federal Law. I would and have said the same thing about or too people who have wished ill on various politicians

No, it wouldn't be considered a threat - that's absurd. And if you would protest ill stuff said about other pols, you wouldn't have been able to do anything else but that for the last 7.5 years except object to the vile stuff dumped on Bush.

Nobody in the mainstream media has ever said such a thing about the President, or a Presidential candidate. What that woman said was totally out of line and if it was a joke, I will say I have a good sense of humor and that little stunt she pulled was way out of bounds.

Once again - the answer to that is we have free speech in this country (I mean EXCEPT on university campuses) and you are just going to have to deal with it.

BS. There are no "journalists" anymore, and none of them choose their words carefully.
Is this one of those posts that you complained about another poster making claims with nothing to back it up? Liz Trotta has been in journalism since the mid60s. She should very much have known better. Now was it a joke? A mistake? Or a Freudian slip?
No, it wouldn't be considered a threat - that's absurd. And if you would protest ill stuff said about other pols, you wouldn't have been able to do anything else but that for the last 7.5 years except object to the vile stuff dumped on Bush.
Again, I challenge you to find me someone, somewhere, sometime, in the last 20 years that said something similar about the President or a Presidential Candidate. What she did is out of line and I would say it if she said that about any American politician.

Once again - the answer to that is we have free speech in this country (I mean EXCEPT on university campuses) and you are just going to have to deal with it.
Well that is debatable, but for another thread. I dont want to infringe on her free speech. No intention of doing that whatsoever. In my opinion and in my own freedom of speech I am saying that what she said was totally irresponsible and out of line.

Is this one of those posts that you complained about another poster making claims with nothing to back it up? Liz Trotta has been in journalism since the mid60s.

I am very familiar with her bio, thank you.

She should very much have known better. Now was it a joke? A mistake? Or a Freudian slip?

I heard the tape - her meaning seemed to be that she was recovering from mispeaking two names which differ by one letter, and the thing about Obama seemed to indicate that some opponents wish he weren't a contender. If the same thing had happened only about Bush, nothing would have been made of it I'm sure. But the PC regime in effect for minorities is that they must never be made fun of, never joked about, and no confused slips of the tongue are allowed. When you're talking about minorities, and you're a white person, you must carefully filter every syllable before it leaves your mouth, to make absolutely sure that there's no connection, allusion, historical reference, word ambiguity, etc etc etc etc etc that can possibly be taken wrongly - it's like walking on eggs. Something very similar happened a little while ago when a white female reporter made a small joke about Tiger Woods - that other golfers might want to lynch him because he was doing so well. OOPS! "LYNCH" - bad hysterical connection for someone who is part black. She is a personal friend of Tiger's but still had to go through all the White Person Mea Culpas O Please Forgive Me O Aggrieved Minority Person.

Again, I challenge you to find me someone, somewhere, sometime, in the last 20 years that said something similar about the President or a Presidential Candidate. What she did is out of line and I would say it if she said that about any American politician.

I will take on that challenge using Bush, and it shouldn't be hard.

Well that is debatable, but for another thread. I dont want to infringe on her free speech. No intention of doing that whatsoever. In my opinion and in my own freedom of speech I am saying that what she said was totally irresponsible and out of line.

Misspeaking, when it is about a minority, is raised to "irresponsible" - Pee See Rulebook.

I am very familiar with her bio, thank you.
Your welcome, I am always glad to help. :)

I heard the tape - her meaning seemed to be that she was recovering from mispeaking two names which differ by one letter, and the thing about Obama seemed to indicate that some opponents wish he weren't a contender. If the same thing had happened only about Bush, nothing would have been made of it I'm sure. But the PC regime in effect for minorities is that they must never be made fun of, never joked about, and no confused slips of the tongue are allowed. When you're talking about minorities, and you're a white person, you must carefully filter every syllable before it leaves your mouth, to make absolutely sure that there's no connection, allusion, historical reference, word ambiguity, etc etc etc etc etc that can possibly be taken wrongly - it's like walking on eggs. Something very similar happened a little while ago when a white female reporter made a small joke about Tiger Woods - that other golfers might want to lynch him because he was doing so well. OOPS! "LYNCH" - bad hysterical connection for someone who is part black. She is a personal friend of Tiger's but still had to go through all the White Person Mea Culpas O Please Forgive Me O Aggrieved Minority Person.
See, you are the one making this about minority issues nobody else is. I have said and will continue to say what she said is out of line for her to say whoever the politician or candidate might be. Bottom Line. End of story.

I will take on that challenge using Bush, and it shouldn't be hard.
Ill be waiting patiently. Do us all a favor when you find one. Start a new thread about it and let everyone see from a fresh standpoint. But I can imagine you wont be able to find something of a similar sort made on mainstream media.

Misspeaking, when it is about a minority, is raised to "irresponsible" - Pee See Rulebook.
Misspeaking or maybe making a bad attempt at linking the two people with similar names? I dont know, and neither do you.
I have spoken both of those names probably thousands of times, as you probably have also. How many times have you made that mistake? I know I havent.

Your welcome, I am always glad to help. :)

See, you are the one making this about minority issues nobody else is. I have said and will continue to say what she said is out of line for her to say whoever the politician or candidate might be. Bottom Line. End of story.

No - the Pee See rules regarding minorities are precisely Orwellian doublethink - you must follow the rules, while simultaneously pretending that they don't exist. I don't do doublethink.

Ill be waiting patiently. Do us all a favor when you find one. Start a new thread about it and let everyone see from a fresh standpoint. But I can imagine you wont be able to find something of a similar sort made on mainstream media.

Did you miss my post?

I did miss this post, it occurred while I was typing.
I almost forgot about this - in 2006 they made a MOVIE about Bush getting assassinated! Talk about "media responsibility"!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0853096/

Now, which is worse, a slip of the tongue, or a WHOLE MOVIE??

I slammed this movie when it came out BTW. But it is fictional. There have been other movies about the assassination of Presidents.

What I am looking for is a political pundit saying that, and you know it.

No - the Pee See rules regarding minorities are precisely Orwellian doublethink - you must follow the rules, while simultaneously pretending that they don't exist. I don't do doublethink.
Once again you are the only one raging about PC minority stuff. Nobody else is. You can continue to go down this route but it isnt winning you points with anyone.
What she said wasnt right, whether that person be as white as salt, dark as night or green as radioactive goo, it doesnt matter, it wasnt right. Period.

Werbung:
I did miss this post, it occurred while I was typing.

I slammed this movie when it came out BTW. But it is fictional. There have been other movies about the assassination of Presidents.

What I am looking for is a political pundit saying that, and you know it.

So you REALLY think Liz Trotta is trying to encourage assassination??! A whole movie is not as bad as a slip of the tongue? And someone nuts enough to assassinate someone would be all fired up by someone mispeaking, and then laughing about her mistake, but not by a whole MOVIE?? Now you aren't debating seriously.

Back